What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Krupa And Rich: Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich.

[asin]B0000046SZ[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

late night listening yesterday ... first leader recordings of Charles Lloyd ("Nirvana" includes part of Chico Hamilton's "Drumfusion" and outtakes from the sessions to the second proper album, "Of Course, of Course", which is on top of the pile for tonight ...)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Alek Hidell

[asin]B000001C3Z[/asin]

Playing (on Spotify) as I type this, in fact.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Adam Rogers - Time And The Infinite (2007)

NikF

Presenting Oscar Moore: Oscar Moore.

[asin]B005L3HKOA[/asin]

The tasteful playing makes up for the somewhat low-fi home recording vibe, although I feel that in itself has its own charm.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Alek Hidell

Played this one through bit by bit today (had to pause it multiple times as I did other tasks):

[asin]B00KTP93HM[/asin]

I haven't been as enthusiastic about a new* album in a long time as I have been about this one (well, and Tyshawn Sorey's Alloy). Really great stuff.

*Relatively new to me, that is - it came out in 2014 (IIRC).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Tete Montoliu - Catalonian Nights, Vol. 1 (1980)

NikF

Shorty Rogers and His Giants: The Big Shorty Rogers Express.

[asin]B0000073SC[/asin]

SimonNZ

Lee Konitz - In Harvard Square (1954)
Dave Holland and Pepe Habichuela - Hands (2009)

The Complete Miles Davis At Montreux, discs 15 and 16 (the July 21, 1989 concert)
Tete Montoliu - Catalonian Nights Vol.3 (1990)

NikF

Guitar Moods: Mundell Lowe.

[asin]B0002ABT58[/asin]

NikF

Julian Lage: Arclight

[asin]B019R9BJ6I[/asin]

I was in a guitar shop recently and a guy who worked there suggested that I give this a listen.

SimonNZ

Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Christian - After Hours (1941)
Lee Morgan - Introducing Lee Morgan (1956)

Alek Hidell

Earlier today:

[asin]B00APBRTBC[/asin]
First listen. Faux-ECM presentation and recording, but a pretty good one at that.

Then, a little while after that one:

[asin]B00004UASS[/asin]
I think I've only listened to this one once before, so giving it another spin. Was listening at work and didn't finish it - will resume tomorrow!

NikF

Zoot Sims, Al Cohn, Phil Woods: Jazz Alive! A Night At The Half Note.

[asin]B000006Q67[/asin]

king ubu

Roscoe Mitchell's latest, a double disc documenting his 50 years AACM concert in Chicago - first spin last night ... album of the year, I think!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

bwv 1080

Paraphernalia is such a killer tune

SimonNZ

Leroy Vinnegar - Leroy Walks (1957)
Marcus Printup - Peace In The Abstract (2006)

king ubu

Some 2017 releases:

This is interesting but not essential, I'd say - just as I expected. Would have wished for more breakdowns/rehearsals/studio banter ... there is basically only one lengthy segment (or Art Taylor really trying hard - and succeeding for quite a while - to not get what Monk wants him to play on one tune), but the booklet lists some rather long breakdowns/incomplete takes, as well as a rehearsal with Wilen of a track of which there is no master. No idea if that material would be just a nuisance, but they even made composite edits in one or two cases, rather than just giving us what there is ... anyway, it's good, there is not too much Wilen though, for those into him (which I am, bigtime)

Iggy is on just three tracks ... wish he was on more, actually!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Alek Hidell

Revisiting some Cecil from the monumental Berlin '88 sessions.

[asin]B00000AS6F[/asin]

Followed by:

The Amazon image wouldn't appear for some reason but it's ASIN #B00O5SZLKW.