What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Latest bunch ... last one has just started - all first listens.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

First spin. Girlfriend hated it. I enjoyed it.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 20, 2017, 04:59:18 AM
Hm, let's see ...

Cecil Taylor & Tony Oxley, Leaf Palm Hand
Tomasz Stańko, Leosia (as well as Bosonossa and Other Ballads by the same quartet)
Derek Bailey & Tony Oxley, Soho Suites
Tony Oxley Quintet, The Baptised Traveller (OOP and often hard to get at decent prices, unfortunately)
Joseph Holbrooke Trio, The Moat Recordings
Evan Parker / Cecil Taylor / Barry Guy / Tony Oxley, Nailed
John Surman, Adventure Playground
Bill Dixon, Vade Mecum (Vols. I & II)
John McLaughlin, Extrapolation

Thanks for that. Three of those I know, including The Baptised Traveller. I'll try and check out the rest.

now:

Bennie Green - With Art Farmer (1956)
Lester Young - In Washington DC 1956, Vol.1

Myra Melford - The Image Of Your Body (2006)
Khan Jamal / Johnny Dyani / Pierre Dørge - Three (1984)

king ubu

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 20, 2017, 04:59:18 AM
Hm, let's see ...

Cecil Taylor & Tony Oxley, Leaf Palm Hand
Tomasz Stańko, Leosia (as well as Bosonossa and Other Ballads by the same quartet)
Derek Bailey & Tony Oxley, Soho Suites
Tony Oxley Quintet, The Baptised Traveller (OOP and often hard to get at decent prices, unfortunately)
Joseph Holbrooke Trio, The Moat Recordings
Evan Parker / Cecil Taylor / Barry Guy / Tony Oxley, Nailed
John Surman, Adventure Playground
Bill Dixon, Vade Mecum (Vols. I & II)
John McLaughlin, Extrapolation

I see he also appeared on those Gordon Beck albums you recently listed - I haven't heard those.

Know and cherish most of those ... came too late to have all the CT FMPs, alas (I have hardly any, they oughta be reprinted, but with that longtime war between the former or never really or who the eff knows what ... "partners", it's rather unlikely anything much will be back ... but in a week I'll be in Munich and one of the plans is to visit the exhibition on FMP at Haus der Kunst) ...

Managed to catch Oxley live in duo with Cecil Taylor over ten years ago (autumn 2006 I think) - that was amazing, though i botched it a bit (left a bit early to catch the last train home, missed it, still had to stay the night though, but a friend told me I missed only very few more minutes ...)

Anyway, some more:

Anthony Braxton - Seven Compositions (Trio) 1989
Bill Dixon - Papyrus I & II (just get that Bill Dixon Soul Note/Black Saint box, folks!)
Alan Skidmore - Once Upon a Time
Cecil Taylor Feel Trio - Two T's for a Lovely T (live, 10 CD box, two sets over five nights, glorious!)
Alan Skidmore / Ali Haurand / Tony Oxley - S.O.H. (reissued in one of Organic Music's EGO recordings boxes)

He is also drumming on various british larger band recordings such as:

John Surman - How Many Clouds Can You See?
Kenny Wheeler - Song for Someone
Michael Gibbs - Michael Gibbs

and of course several of Barry Guy's LJCO recordings on Intakt

Re Gordon Beck (don't know him all that well yet), Oxley is on this MPS oddity (I have it on vinyl, prob. not on CD):

Gordon Beck / Ron Mathewson / Tony Oxley / Stan Sulzmann / Kenny Wheeler - Seven Steps to Evans: A Tribute to the Compositions of Bill Evans
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Alek Hidell

Quote from: king ubu on July 22, 2017, 01:55:32 AM

Know and cherish most of those ... came too late to have all the CT FMPs, alas (I have hardly any, they oughta be reprinted, but with that longtime war between the former or never really or who the eff knows what ... "partners", it's rather unlikely anything much will be back ... but in a week I'll be in Munich and one of the plans is to visit the exhibition on FMP at Haus der Kunst) ...

If you don't mind downloads - and if you don't mind dropping $125 USD ;) - you can get the entire Berlin '88 set at https://destination-out.bandcamp.com/album/the-complete-in-berlin-88-box-set (the booklet is also separately available). It also includes In East Berlin, recorded at the same time (one disc CT solo, the other with Günter Sommer) but not included in the original box.

I do have a couple of the other FMPs too (the Feel Trio), but there are a couple of others I'm lacking. Yeah, they're hard to come by.

Quote from: king ubu on July 22, 2017, 01:55:32 AM
Anthony Braxton - Seven Compositions (Trio) 1989
Bill Dixon - Papyrus I & II (just get that Bill Dixon Soul Note/Black Saint box, folks!)
Alan Skidmore - Once Upon a Time
Cecil Taylor Feel Trio - Two T's for a Lovely T (live, 10 CD box, two sets over five nights, glorious!)
Alan Skidmore / Ali Haurand / Tony Oxley - S.O.H. (reissued in one of Organic Music's EGO recordings boxes)

He is also drumming on various british larger band recordings such as:

John Surman - How Many Clouds Can You See?
Kenny Wheeler - Song for Someone
Michael Gibbs - Michael Gibbs

and of course several of Barry Guy's LJCO recordings on Intakt

Re Gordon Beck (don't know him all that well yet), Oxley is on this MPS oddity (I have it on vinyl, prob. not on CD):

Gordon Beck / Ron Mathewson / Tony Oxley / Stan Sulzmann / Kenny Wheeler - Seven Steps to Evans: A Tribute to the Compositions of Bill Evans

Yes, I almost listed those Dixon Papyrus albums. I'm more familiar with the two Vade Mecums, though. And I have Two Ts for a Lovely T, but haven't yet listened to it. (Can we ask the recording industry for a two-year moratorium so I can do some catching up? ::) :))

I don't believe I have anything by Skidmore or Beck, so there's more for me to explore.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Junior Cook - Junior's Cookin (1961)
Roberto Rodriguez- Aguares: John Zorn's Book of Angels Vol. 23 (2014)

king ubu

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 22, 2017, 07:14:27 AM
If you don't mind downloads - and if you don't mind dropping $125 USD ;) - you can get the entire Berlin '88 set at https://destination-out.bandcamp.com/album/the-complete-in-berlin-88-box-set (the booklet is also separately available). It also includes In East Berlin, recorded at the same time (one disc CT solo, the other with Günter Sommer) but not included in the original box.

I have so far never been desperate enough to spend such a substantial amount for a DL ... and I guess I would indeed require at least a hardcopy of the book for that hefty sum. Make it double (or even triple) for a physical reissue and I'm game.

"In East Berlin" is the one I happen to have, btw. It's good, not great - but it's been years since I played it. Not in the mood to listen mid/late Taylor at home all that often (would go and catch that stuff in concert weekly though, if I could).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

HIPster

This recording continues to amaze:

[asin]B0142XHVX4[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

HIPster

Now playing:

[asin]B00005OM6V[/asin]

Wise words from Que:

king ubu

Quote from: HIPster on July 23, 2017, 12:14:47 PM
This recording continues to amaze:

[asin]B0142XHVX4[/asin]

The presence of the two drummers definitely piques my interest!

Btw, are you aware of Cyrille's wonderful ECM album of last year, with Bill Frisell? It's not one that screams at you in any way, but it continues to grow and is indeed another proof of what a master drummer Cyrille is. There's also a new Trio 3 album out on Intakt that is recommended (Trio 3 is Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman and Cyrille).

Thread duty - as Gordon Beck was mentioned, time to finally play this disc, bought a few months ago already:

Very good indeed!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

HIPster

Quote from: king ubu on July 23, 2017, 01:42:49 PM
The presence of the two drummers definitely piques my interest!

Btw, are you aware of Cyrille's wonderful ECM album of last year, with Bill Frisell? It's not one that screams at you in any way, but it continues to grow and is indeed another proof of what a master drummer Cyrille is. There's also a new Trio 3 album out on Intakt that is recommended (Trio 3 is Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman and Cyrille).

Thread duty - as Gordon Beck was mentioned, time to finally play this disc, bought a few months ago already:

Very good indeed!

The two drummers do not play together on the Monder disc.  Originally conceived as a duo album with Monder and Motian, they were only able to record a few tunes before Paul's passing.  The remaining tracks with Cyrille are outstanding, however.  One of my favorite purchases of last year.  8)

Thanks for the recommendation of the recent Cyrille on ECM; it's on the wishlist!

That Trio 3 looks very strong too.  Thank you for that as well king ubu.  I always appreciate your recommendations!  ;)
Wise words from Que:

HIPster

Excellent Sonny Sharrock tribute album:

[asin]B016PDDBJM[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

SimonNZ

another play of this stunner:

HIPster

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 23, 2017, 04:56:05 PM

another play of this stunner:

That looks stunning SimonNZ:)
Wise words from Que:

king ubu

Quote from: HIPster on July 23, 2017, 02:06:30 PM
The two drummers do not play together on the Monder disc.  Originally conceived as a duo album with Monder and Motian, they were only able to record a few tunes before Paul's passing.  The remaining tracks with Cyrille are outstanding, however.  One of my favorite purchases of last year.  8)

Thanks for the recommendation of the recent Cyrille on ECM; it's on the wishlist!

That Trio 3 looks very strong too.  Thank you for that as well king ubu.  I always appreciate your recommendations!  ;)

Oh, thanks for the that, wasn't aware ... but I did wonder how Motian could be on it (but then ECM often takes two or three years to release "new" records anyway).

Trio 3 is great, I've seen them live twice, once just in their core formation, once with Irène Schweizer (one track from that concert is on their common Intakt disc, the rest of it was taken from a different concert the day before or after), Workman did a solo set on one of these occasions, too.

Trio 3 has several albums out, most on Intakt, but are three earlier albums, of which I know only the one on Palmetto. They did several with piano guests, other than Schweizer there's two with Geri Allen (I think "At This Time" is particularly good), and one each with Vijay Iyer and Jason Moran - got to play those again, not really familiar. But the latest one is again just the core trio and is excellent.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Khan Jamal / Johnny Dyani / Leroy Lowe - The Traveller (1993)

king ubu

I know some of the Khan Jamal Steeplechases, but I need these two with Dyani as well!

The Dyani run on Steeplechase is fantabulous! And the Dorge New Jungle Orchestra (with Dyani as long as he was around, and paying tribute later on) is wonderful as well.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 21, 2017, 12:46:02 PM
Cherish that woman  8)
On the other hand, she did ask me to turn off a Monk album because it "sounds like a 3 year old".

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on July 24, 2017, 04:51:28 AM
I know some of the Khan Jamal Steeplechases, but I need these two with Dyani as well!

The Dyani run on Steeplechase is fantabulous! And the Dorge New Jungle Orchestra (with Dyani as long as he was around, and paying tribute later on) is wonderful as well.

I keep meaning to give Witchdoctor's Son another play. Maybe when I get home from work tonight. That one really knocked me sideways first time I heard it.

but right now:

Johnny Griffin - Sextet (1958)

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 25, 2017, 04:28:33 PM
I keep meaning to give Witchdoctor's Son another play. Maybe when I get home from work tonight. That one really knocked me sideways first time I heard it.

but right now:

Johnny Griffin - Sextet (1958)

Re: Dyani, I guess the big classic is "Song for Biko" with Don Cherry ... but I cherish anything I can get with Dudu Pukwana! That guy was effin' amazin'! But all five are dear to me - the other three are "Mbizo", Afrika", and finally with Tchicai but without Dudu, "Angolian Cry". Add his duo with Joe Bonner, his trio sideman-appearance with Bonner on "Parade" (with Billy Higgins no less) ... that's a fine bunch of albums there! Add to that "Born Under the Heat" on Dragon ... again no Dudu, but another fine group!

Actually, I cherish the moment a few years ago, when John Tchicai sat at my kitchen table, we had coffee and some sweets together and he was gracious enough to let me nail him with questions ... (he was staying at a neighbor's for the night and as she had no time to welcome him, she asked me if I could take care of this, she being aware I was into jazz).

That Griffin disc is another wonderful one, of course - another near-desert-island one in my book (not his strongest all in all, but for the title track my all-time-fave is "Congregation" on Blue Note - that solo of Griffin's, I know it by heart!)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!