What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: San Antone on October 21, 2018, 06:26:56 AM
Ten years back back in my file sharing days I managed to get this entire set on soulseek; and have no shame in admitting it.   8)   If I could only have one collection of Ellington, this would be it.  Congrats.

Thanks!

I downloaded it about a year ago myself, had the flac files and everything. But after listening to it, I had to have it. I was patient and got a nice used copy for $189 this week.

Judging from amazon, it looks like I did pretty good.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Cal Tjader - Breeze From The East (1963)
Ray Brown and Milt Jackson - Much In Common (1964)

Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis - Mess Of Blues (1964)
Wes Montgomery - Bumpin (1965)

Tony Scott - Music For Zen Meditation (1964)
Susan Rafey - Hurt So Bad (1965)

Kenyon Hopkins - Mister Buddwing soundtrack (1966)
Bola Sete - At The Monterey Jazz Festival (1966)

Quincy Jones - The Deadly Affair soundtrack (1966)
Luiz Henrique - Barra Limpa (1967)

George

Enjoyed discs 4-7 today. I wish that high pitched noise that appears about 2/3 of the way through each track wasn't there, but I read elsewhere it is part of the original recording.

Does anyone know if it is like that through the whole set?

SimonNZ

^ I used to own that box and never noticed anything resembling that.

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 21, 2018, 04:19:22 PM
^ I used to own that box and never noticed anything resembling that.

Its definitely there. Its also there on a rip I have from a few years back.

SimonNZ

Don Casta - Modern Delights (1967)
Jimmy Smith - Respect (1967)

Alan Lorber - The Lotus Palace (1967)
Jazz Interactions Orchestra / Oliver Nelson - Jazzhattan Suite (1967)

SimonNZ

Cal Tjader - Along Comes Cal (1967)
Walter Wanderley - Kee-Ka-Roo (1967)

Gil Mellé - Tome VI (1968)
Little Richie Varola - s/t (1968)

George Benson - Giblet Gravy (1968)

SimonNZ

Playing the Oliver Nelson "Jazzhattan Suite" again - possibly the most impressive of the lesser known Verves I heard in the last few days.

SimonNZ

Jackie and Roy - Like Sing: Songs By Dory and Andre Previn (1963)
Dory Previn - The Leprechauns Are Upon Me (1958)

SimonNZ

Enrico Rava - Tribe (2011)
Bill Frisell - Music Is (2018)

Cuong Vu - Change In The Air (2018)
Costanza Alegiani and Fabrizio Sferra - Grace in Town (2018)

SimonNZ

George Haslam - Duos:East West (1998)
Dave Holland - Pass It On (2008)

George

SimonNZ

^ Where Are You is one of his best, imo.

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 26, 2018, 03:37:22 PM
^ Where Are You is one of his best, imo.

It's only my first listen to it, but I can see why you'd feel that way. So different than his more boisterous stuff.

I heard Sings For Only The Lonely for the first time this week as well and loved that one.

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on October 26, 2018, 03:42:51 PM

I heard Sings For Only The Lonely for the first time this week as well and loved that one.

His version of "Blues In The Night" from that album was what first sold me on Sinatra.

king ubu

Quote from: George on October 21, 2018, 05:15:04 PM
Its definitely there. Its also there on a rip I have from a few years back.

It's part of the remastering of the early sessions ... it was quite widely discussed when the box appeared (back on the old Blue Note Bulletin Board for instance, which I started reading - as a lurker for the first couple of years - around that time). Some people seem to really dislike the sound. To me, it's more the totally no-noised ones (such as the Fantasy reissues of the Carnegie Hall Concerts) which always take me a while to get adjusted to (often I'll play 15 or 20 of such a recording, and once my ears are somewhat attuned, I'll start from the beginning again).

Anyway, there's no real alternative (the partial 3 CD reissue sounds the same, and the earlier Blanton/Webster set is no-noised ...)

--

Thread duty: loads of Randy Weston again lately ... got a huge pile of his stuff out of the shelves (everything CD, I've got at least two of his seventies albums on LP only, both never made it to CD to my knowledge).

Also these:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

Quote from: king ubu on October 29, 2018, 04:15:46 AM
It's part of the remastering of the early sessions ... it was quite widely discussed when the box appeared (back on the old Blue Note Bulletin Board for instance, which I started reading - as a lurker for the first couple of years - around that time). Some people seem to really dislike the sound. To me, it's more the totally no-noised ones (such as the Fantasy reissues of the Carnegie Hall Concerts) which always take me a while to get adjusted to (often I'll play 15 or 20 of such a recording, and once my ears are somewhat attuned, I'll start from the beginning again).

Anyway, there's no real alternative (the partial 3 CD reissue sounds the same, and the earlier Blanton/Webster set is no-noised ...)

Sure, it's still the best available for most of that set, I am just saying that the high pitched noise it really grating at anything higher than low levels on my stereo. To be absolutely clear, I am not speaking of the general surface noise, I am talking about the high pitched noise that appears about 2/3 the way through most of the songs on the early discs. When you initially said that you never heard of anything like what I described from the set, I thought that maybe I had a defective set, as I don't know how anyone could not hear it, especially since it occurs in the same way, the same sound, on so many tracks.

king ubu

Quote from: George on October 29, 2018, 05:59:24 AM
Sure, it's still the best available for most of that set, I am just saying that the high pitched noise it really grating at anything higher than low levels on my stereo. To be absolutely clear, I am not speaking of the general surface noise, I am talking about the high pitched noise that appears about 2/3 the way through most of the songs on the early discs. When you initially said that you never heard of anything like what I described from the set, I thought that maybe I had a defective set, as I don't know how anyone could not hear it, especially since it occurs in the same way, the same sound, on so many tracks.

Wasn't me who said he never heard it ... I am aware of it and it does bother me to some extent, too. Remastering of old recordings is a science to itself, about which I do not understand much, from a technical angle ... but I guess in this case some wrong or dubious decisions were made.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

George

Quote from: king ubu on October 29, 2018, 06:02:52 AM
Wasn't me who said he never heard it ...

Sorry, man, I didn't notice this thread started with Simon, not you. My bad.

QuoteI am aware of it and it does bother me to some extent, too. Remastering of old recordings is a science to itself, about which I do not understand much, from a technical angle ... but I guess in this case some wrong or dubious decisions were made.

Agreed.

I have heard something similar on some of Ward Marston's masterings of old piano recordings, but not that loud. I suspect that it could have been greatly reduced using some EQ in the frequency that it occurs. 

king ubu

Quote from: George on October 29, 2018, 06:08:07 AM
Sorry, man, I didn't notice this thread started with Simon, not you. My bad.
No problem.

Quote from: George on October 29, 2018, 06:08:07 AM
Agreed.

I have heard something similar on some of Ward Marston's masterings of old piano recordings, but not that loud. I suspect that it could have been greatly reduced using some EQ in the frequency that it occurs.
Yep ... same goes for some other jazz reissues, too ... I think in one case, on another discussion board, someone with expertise in the field or remastering and the necessary software has done an A/B of a track (don't think it was off the Ellington set, rather I seem to dimly remember it was from a reissue produced by Phil Schaap - who has of course done an amazing job in promoting jazz over the years).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!