What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

king ubu

Got the three Michael Musillami Quintet discs with Thomas Chapin yesterday - gave this one, the earliest, a first spin:

Pretty fine indeed!

As this one was in the mail as well, it got its first spin afterwards:

I totally loved Alessi's previous ECM album ... the jury's still out here, but I've enjoyed it pretty much. Guess it will need half a dozen spins to tell.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Porgy & Bess : Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong

I started off with the opera and then switched to this one.

8)

SimonNZ

Andre Previn - Plays Fats Waller (1953)

George

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 07, 2019, 06:44:20 AM
Well, I meant my heard copies... but your link nailed it: that is in fact the first JL CD I bought... at a Best Buy in West Fargo (?), if I remember correctly, so that's good memories!

Cool!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

v/a - Jazz Composers Workshop (1955)
Bobby Hutcherson - Good Bait (1985)

Hall-DeParis' Blue Note Jazzmen – Jamming In Jazz (1951)
Gary Burton - Times Like These (1988)

Art Hodes - Hot Jazz At Blue Note (1950)
Charles Mingus - Right Now (1964)

Art Hodes - Out Of The Back Room (1952)
Abdullah Ibrahim - Bombella (2009)

San Antone

Porgy & Bess : Diahann Carroll and the Andre Previn Trio

San Antone

Presenting Ernie Henry

Ernie Henry - alto saxophone
Kenny Dorham - trumpet
Kenny Drew - piano
Wilbur Ware - bass
Art Taylor - drums

SimonNZ

Billie Poole - Confessin The Blues (1962)

king ubu

The weekend jazz programme included the four above ... bought a few Playscape albums lately (the three by Michael Musillami with Thomas Chapin and several by Mario Pavone and by Peter Madsen) - very fine music there! The Clifford Jordan/Junior Cook meeting is excellent (and prompted me to try and close one more C. Jordan gap, "Live at Ethell's", which so far somehow always escaped me ... I think Mapleshade had no distribution here whatsoever in those days when shops still existed) ... the new James Brandon Lewis sounded very good, too (Jaimie Branch in fine form, which is different from when I last heard her, live, just about a year ago) ... finally the Kikuchi/P.M.P. is a much loved masterpiece/favourite.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

one more played recently - very nice indeed:

now:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

NikF4

Joe Pass: Blues for Fred.

[asin]B0002ZYDO2[/asin]

Any (cheap) shot that could be aimed here would be at the 'blues' aspect that Joe Pass seemed to manage imparting effortlessly. Otherwise, take your lack of appreciation for the art  or what is omitted elsewhere.

NikF4

Oscar Peterson: Plays the Richard Rodgers Songbook.

[asin]B004O2WTL8[/asin]

Over winter one of my aims was to arrange and play - telecaster in hand - ''It might as well be spring'. I can't imagine a more demanding yet charming task.   :)

Alek Hidell

My first-ever listen to anything by Lateef. Not bad at all. I like his tone on tenor (only one of several instruments he plays here, of course) - reminds me of a sort of cross between Coltrane and Dexter Gordon, and like Gordon with an apparent penchant for playing slightly behind the beat.

Another first listen - had this one for a while, but just now getting around to it. Definitely needs more than one listen to absorb. The five movements here seem to have subdivisions within them, movements within movements with palpable mood shifts, ranging from harsh to sublime. It reminds me in a way of the work Tyshawn Sorey is doing, creating long works that tread a fine line between jazz and classical (Yedid has also written several works for string quartet and other traditionally "classical" ensembles). Not surprisingly, perhaps - Yedid being the pianist and leader - it's his instrument that dominates here, with the oud adding color. This is not Anouar Brahem. ;)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

San Antone

Sonny Rollins – tenor saxophone
Freddie Hubbard – trumpet (track 1 only)
Jimmy Garrison – bass
Elvin Jones – drums

East Broadway Run Down is a 1966 album by jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins, his last album before industry pressures led him to take a six-year hiatus.

Brian

Quote from: Alek Hidell on March 13, 2019, 08:07:14 PM

My first-ever listen to anything by Lateef. Not bad at all. I like his tone on tenor (only one of several instruments he plays here, of course) - reminds me of a sort of cross between Coltrane and Dexter Gordon, and like Gordon with an apparent penchant for playing slightly behind the beat.
I only know Lateef from his work in the Cannonball sextet in the early 60s, which is fantastic. It was an interesting artistic fit, playing with a band that was slightly more old-school in its bop style, but that pairing and interaction (plus Joe Zawinul) seems to have driven everyone to new creative heights. You should definitely check out Lateef's composition "Brother John," where he lovingly imitates Coltrane's trademark sonority....on oboe.

NikF4

Hank Jones: Complete Original Trio Recoridngs.

[asin]B001IQDAWA[/asin]

San Antone

San Antone