SimonNZ

Curtis Fuller - Imagination (1959)
Julian Priester - Spiritsville (1960)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: George on June 02, 2019, 10:07:59 AM

First spin. Enjoying this one.

That one and Ballads are two of a kind - mellow Coltrane; some of my favorite music.

SimonNZ

McCoy Tyner - Song For My Lady (1972)

I know I've said it before, but every listen confirms it: Tyner has one of the strongest, most consistently stunning discographies of any artist in any genre.

(I'm in two minds here about how the cover and title of the album don't prepare the listener at all for what's coming - even on the title track)

George

Quote from: San Antone on June 02, 2019, 05:14:00 PM
That one and Ballads are two of a kind - mellow Coltrane; some of my favorite music.

I have not heard Ballads yet. I have the Heavyweight Champion set and about 6 more of his albums, though.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Cross post from the Classical Music Listeng Thread

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue [Abravanel]

This might sound stupid but I hear Abravanal focusing more on the jazz element here than others do. This, for me, brings attitude and a swagger which is electrifying in places. It is very well played by all concerned and wonderfully controlled and presented by Abravanel.

SimonNZ

McCoy Tyner - Echoes Of A Friend (1972)

SimonNZ

Chick Corea and Steve Gadd - Chinese Butterfly (2018)
Lonnie Smith - All In My Mind (2018)

Alek Hidell

I've certainly been scarce around these parts lately, at least from a posting standpoint. I've been reading threads, though (still trying to catch up on the WAYLT thread - so easy to get behind there).

Anyway, for the last couple of days it's been:

Vandermark is going to end up with a discography like Braxton's - sprawling and voluminous. That could, of course, have its drawbacks (just as with Braxton's): when you record and release so much, there's bound to be some dross among the gems (sorry if that's a bit of a mixed metaphor ;)). Not that I'm saying that's the case here, not at all. This is very fine indeed. Drake in particular (IMO) acquits himself well.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Good to see you, Alek.

this evening, revisiting some favorites:

McCoy Tyner - Trident (1975)
Vijay Iyer - Historicity (2009)

McCoy Tyner - Counterpoints: Live In Tokyo (rec.1978, rel.2004)
Chick Corea and gary Burton - In Concert, Zurich (1979)

SimonNZ

Jaki Byard - Live (1965)
Don Ellis - How Time Passes (1960)

Herb Pomeroy - Life Is A Many Splendored Gig (1957)
Ken McIntyre - Year Of The Iron Sheep (1962)

SimonNZ

Jaki Byard - Parisian Solos (1971)
Chris Connor and Maynard Ferguson - Double Exposure (1961)

Roland Kirk - Here Comes The Whistleman (1965)
Ricky Ford - Manhattan Blues (1989)

San Antone

I just noticed the description for this Topic:

"Blues, Bluegrass, Dixieland, Swing, Mainstream, Be-Bop, Avant-Garde, Fusion, Smooth and everything in between."

With that in mind, here's what I am listening to, one of the better Blues compilations of some musicians that did not record very much, but what they did leave behind is really good.

Aside from Son House and Bukka White, these artists, especially the ones I've bolded, were little recorded and researchers have been hard pressed to find out exactly who they were.  There were three different Willie Browns traced to the Delta during the 1920s and '30s, each known to be a Blues guitarist/singer, and Kid Bailey is also thought to be a pseudonym of Willie Brown, but accounts vary.  Bertha Lee was the last romantic connection with Patton; Louise Johnson was another girlfriend, but she and Patton fell out and she took up with Son House.  Louise Johnson was one of the few pianists from the Delta that has left a recorded legacy.  During her tracks you can hear comments in the background from Patton and Willie Brown urging her on.

In early 1934 Charlie Patton went to Grafton, Wisconsin (his last session, he was to die in April) and recorded four sides for Paramount, but he took along Son House, Willie Brown and Louise Johnson to round out the session.  These tracks are some of what they recorded.

Rowdy Blues by Kid Bailey
Big Fat Mama Blues by Tommy Johnson
I Am in the Heavenly Way by Bukka White
Future Blues by Willie Brown
Brown Mama Blues by Ishmon Bracey
On the Wall by Louise Johnson
Walking Blues by Son House
Canned Heat Blues by Tommy Johnson
Promise True and Grand by Bukka White
Mississippi Bottom Blues by Kid Bailey
Maggie Campbell Blues by Tommy Johnson
My Black Mama (Part 1) by Son House
My Black Mama (Part 2) by Son House
Yellow Bee by Bertha Lee
Long Way From Home by Louise Johnson
M and O Blues by Willie Brown
Button up Shoes by Tommy Johnson
Mind Reader Blues by Bertha Lee
Lonesome Home Blues by Tommy Johnson
Dry Spell Blues (Part 1) by Son House
Dry Spell Blues (Part 2) by Son House
Preachin' the Blues (Part 1) by Son House
Preachin' the Blues (Part 2) by Son House

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 08, 2019, 09:02:05 PM
Good to see you, Alek.

Thanks, Simon!

Quote from: San Antone on June 11, 2019, 02:27:37 AM
I just noticed the description for this Topic:

"Blues, Bluegrass, Dixieland, Swing, Mainstream, Be-Bop, Avant-Garde, Fusion, Smooth and everything in between."

With that in mind, here's what I am listening to, one of the better Blues compilations of some musicians that did not record very much, but what they did leave behind is really good. [...]

Yes! I love those old country blues sides. I think my favorite compilation is an old one that I don't believe has ever made it to CD: Really! The Country Blues (originally released c. 1962) on the old Origin Jazz Classics label - they released several great comps. It includes a couple of the tracks from this Masters of the Delta Blues CD ("Maggie Campbell Blues" and "My Black Mama"), plus Skip James' "Devil Got My Woman," Garfield Akers' "Cottonfield Blues," among others, and perhaps best of all, the imperishable "Old Country Rock" by the mysterious William Moore.

There's something about those old, scratchy, hard-to-hear recordings, and the bottomless mystery of their lyrics, that can draw you in like no other.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

San Antone

Quote from: Alek Hidell on June 11, 2019, 05:36:19 PM
Thanks, Simon!

Yes! I love those old country blues sides. I think my favorite compilation is an old one that I don't believe has ever made it to CD: Really! The Country Blues (originally released c. 1962) on the old Origin Jazz Classics label - they released several great comps. It includes a couple of the tracks from this Masters of the Delta Blues CD ("Maggie Campbell Blues" and "My Black Mama"), plus Skip James' "Devil Got My Woman," Garfield Akers' "Cottonfield Blues," among others, and perhaps best of all, the imperishable "Old Country Rock" by the mysterious William Moore.

There's something about those old, scratchy, hard-to-hear recordings, and the bottomless mystery of their lyrics, that can draw you in like no other.

It must have made it to CD at some point because Really! The Country Blues is on iTunes.  Yeah, those sides from the '20s and '30s are really great.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: San Antone on June 11, 2019, 05:47:08 PM
It must have made it to CD at some point because Really! The Country Blues is on iTunes.  Yeah, those sides from the '20s and '30s are really great.

Yes, in fact I downloaded that sometime back because I don't have a turntable anymore. (Well, I do, actually, but I don't even know if it works. Nor am I particularly interested in finding out.) But I think it may be digital-only. I once came across an old Ellington release on iTunes, Flaming Youth, that seemed to be of similar provenance.

SimonNZ

Those Yazoo anthologies are always wonderful. And among their very best pre-war blues rarities collections, imo, are the two two-disc "The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of":

That "Really! The Country Blue"s is on YT, and I was playing it on the way to work.

playing now:

Oliver Nelson - Meet Oliver Nelson (1959)
The Three Sounds - Cold Water Flat (1968)

Gene Ammons -Jammin In Hi-Fi With Gene Ammons (1957)

NikF4

Anita O'Day: Pick Yourself Up.

Great mid50s shennanigans.

San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 11, 2019, 08:26:54 PM
Those Yazoo anthologies are always wonderful. And among their very best pre-war blues rarities collections, imo, are the two two-disc "The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of":

Those two are available on Spotify (I call the first one the "R. Crumb compilation"), and you're right, they are both excellent.

SimonNZ

Jackie McLean - Jackie's Pal (1957)
Bobby Timmons - From The Bottom (1970)

Jackie McLean and Junko Onishi - Hat Trick (1996)
Jackie McLean - McLean's Scene (1959)