What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Crescent is in my top five Coltrane albums.  Isn't Bessie's Blues on it? Maybe top three.

George

Lovin' this album and this new remaster for SACD!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Some shameless self-promotion:

Ed Palermo and I used to jam and gig together back in the '80s, and have stayed in touch.  He has kept a big band going for at least two decades and has a steady gig at the Iridium most Monday nights.  He regularly releases CDs, often of Zappa music in very good arrangements.

He always liked my original jazz tunes from when we were playing together, and has recorded some.  His most recent recording is "A Lousy Day In Harlem (Sky Cat)."  My song is called "Next Year".

A Lousy Day in Harlem
https://g.co/kgs/UNHy81

vandermolen

Mike Westbrook: Metropolis. I've known and loved this work since the LP first came out in 1971:

My favourite jazz album. Especially for the final track.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

Now enjoying the AP SACD for this lovely album.

SimonNZ

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2019, 10:50:56 AM
Mike Westbrook: Metropolis. I've known and loved this work since the LP first came out in 1971:

My favourite jazz album. Especially for the final track.

Interesting choice. That's a great album.

And I'm playing it again now.

vandermolen

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 07, 2019, 05:08:06 PM
Interesting choice. That's a great album.

And I'm playing it again now.
I could play the final track over and over again. In its way I find it very poignant and hauntingly memorable. A friend of mine had recorded it on tape when I was about 15 or 16. But I like the whole album and the way in which the jazzy rhythms suddenly emerge from the more chaotic/discordant sections. I prefer modern to trad jazz. I also love the cover art with London (presumably) in the distance - very evocative of that period in my life. I'm pleased that you enjoy it too.

Here is the final track if anyone wants to sample the album:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYVjf9WuxQ
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

Alek Hidell

First listen:

Parker is a musician whose music, like Joe McPhee's, I respect more than love. Dunno why, really. But I keep trying.

This one isn't bad. It grew on me as I listened. And there's no singing, as there is on several of his albums - and that's almost always a plus for me in free improv.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

aligreto

Armstrong: Hot Fives and Sevens Vol. 4

from this set....   

There is truly some wonderful music and music making in this set. There is a great sense of rhythm and innovation which prevails throughout. The performances are very exciting and engaging.
Despite their age the recordings and performances are energetic, dynamic, spirited and exciting and very engaging. The mood and atmosphere of the sessions is well captured in these vibrant recordings. These are foot tapping good, swinging performances. This set makes for compelling listening.

SimonNZ

vandermolen

Sarah Tandy.
I don't often buy jazz albums but having heard her live on BBC Radio 3 the other day I was so impressed that I went ahead with this one and have thoroughly enjoyed every track on it. It is also one of those, comparatively few, CDs of mine which my wife can enjoy as well:

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Johnny "Hammond" Smith - Look Out (1962)

XB-70 Valkyrie

A few recent discoveries, courtesy of KCSM, The Bay Area's Jazz Station! All added to wish list

Brad Mehldau - Songs: Art of the Trio Vol 3

Aaron Lington - Secondary Impressions

Chick Corea, Gary Burton - Crystal Silence

Lee Konitz - Saxophone Dreams

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

Crystal Silence is a desert island disc for me. As is the Zurich concert album they made shortly after.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: San Antone on July 07, 2019, 08:44:45 AM
Some shameless self-promotion:

Ed Palermo and I used to jam and gig together back in the '80s, and have stayed in touch.  He has kept a big band going for at least two decades and has a steady gig at the Iridium most Monday nights.  He regularly releases CDs, often of Zappa music in very good arrangements.

He always liked my original jazz tunes from when we were playing together, and has recorded some.  His most recent recording is "A Lousy Day In Harlem (Sky Cat)."  My song is called "Next Year".

A Lousy Day in Harlem
https://g.co/kgs/UNHy81

I recently got a copy of one of his albums.  I was a Zappa fanatic back in the 80s.

TD:
First time in a long time. I used to listen to Bill Evans for several hours each day.
[asin]B005QBMZBA[/asin]
It's all good...

Alek Hidell

Not now, but recently:

The latter album reminds me how much I admire Jack DeJohnette (he's a member of Smith's quartet here), as I do every improvising musician who can play with equal facility both "inside" (like DeJohnette's work with Keith Jarrett) and "outside" (as he does here).

Both of these are very fine, by the way.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Cal Tjader and Don Elliott – Vibrations (1954)
Doris Day and Andre Previn - Duet (1961)