What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

I signed up (free) for the livestreams from Smalls and its sibling, Mezzrow -- two excellent, intimate spaces for jazz in Greenwich Village. Really, the quantity of live music available online continues to astound me.

https://www.smallslive.com/events/live-stream-mezzrow/

--Bruce

San Antone

Quote from: Brewski on March 04, 2020, 03:59:27 PM
I signed up (free) for the livestreams from Smalls and its sibling, Mezzrow -- two excellent, intimate spaces for jazz in Greenwich Village. Really, the quantity of live music available online continues to astound me.

https://www.smallslive.com/events/live-stream-mezzrow/

--Bruce

WOW!  I just signed up. What a great resource!  Many thanks for the link.

8)

bhodges

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2020, 04:08:06 PM
WOW!  I just signed up. What a great resource!  Many thanks for the link.

8)

Most welcome! I found out about it from Terry Teachout, who writes for The Wall Street Journal and his own blog, who mentioned last night on Twitter (@TerryTeachout1) that he was listening to one of his faves, a Brooklyn-based singer, Hilary Gardner. (PS, he was right about her.)

--Bruce

San Antone

Quote from: Brewski on March 04, 2020, 04:21:17 PM
Most welcome! I found out about it from Terry Teachout, who writes for The Wall Street Journal and his own blog, who mentioned last night on Twitter (@TerryTeachout1) that he was listening to one of his faves, a Brooklyn-based singer, Hilary Gardner. (PS, he was right about her.)

--Bruce

It reminds me of living in NYC and going to the clubs.  Nice.

8)

staxomega

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2020, 04:23:50 PM
It reminds me of living in NYC and going to the clubs.  Nice.

8)

Did you ever see John Zorn?  :) Those were some of the best jazz concerts I attended, great music, cracking energy, intimate atmosphere

bhodges

Quote from: hvbias on March 05, 2020, 05:12:26 AM
Did you ever see John Zorn?  :) Those were some of the best jazz concerts I attended, great music, cracking energy, intimate atmosphere

As a fan of Zorn, I have only seen his work in a classical context. He's quite prolific, and a lot of the newer, younger groups (e.g., the International Contemporary Ensemble, JACK Quartet, etc.) enjoy playing him.

But now I want to hear him in an environment like you describe!

--Bruce

staxomega

Quote from: Brewski on March 05, 2020, 08:58:38 AM
As a fan of Zorn, I have only seen his work in a classical context. He's quite prolific, and a lot of the newer, younger groups (e.g., the International Contemporary Ensemble, JACK Quartet, etc.) enjoy playing him.

But now I want to hear him in an environment like you describe!

--Bruce

The jazz like Electric Masada and Masada was terrific live. I should explore his classical works more, I've passed on around half the things I've heard and picked up the other half. Some of it is too difficult for me   :-\

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

love, love, love those late Basies on Pablo, especially the ones with small groups

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on March 05, 2020, 05:12:26 AM

I'm a big fan of Zorn. His Naked City concerts were hugely enjoyable from what I've read. This isn't my favorite Zorn, but it's difficult to ignore the aural assault that this particular group of his conjured up onstage and in the studio.

staxomega

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2020, 07:34:14 AM
I'm a big fan of Zorn. His Naked City concerts were hugely enjoyable from what I've read. This isn't my favorite Zorn, but it's difficult to ignore the aural assault that this particular group of his conjured up onstage and in the studio.

Naked City's first album was my first exposure to Zorn, I'm sure those concerts were high octane!

I sort of stopped following his music when he started getting heavily into the Book of Angels releases, not that it's bad music but to me much of it sounds too much in the can, I have to imagine it translates better live.

This is one of my desert island albums from not just from Zorn but all of my jazz collection. A bit sad seeing the mention of Tonic on the cover.

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on March 09, 2020, 05:21:18 PM
Naked City's first album was my first exposure to Zorn, I'm sure those concerts were high octane!

I sort of stopped following his music when he started getting heavily into the Book of Angels releases, not that it's bad music but to me much of it sounds too much in the can, I have to imagine it translates better live.

This is one of my desert island albums from not just from Zorn but all of my jazz collection. A bit sad seeing the mention of Tonic on the cover.

One of my main problems with Zorn is the sheer amount of music he puts out and why this is a problem for me is I simply can't keep up! ;D Yes, I'd agree that Zorn over the last 10 years or so has been 'phoning it in' so to speak. I haven't really heard much from him in this past decade that has resonated with me quite like his earlier work. I still think one of his best series of works is Filmworks, which all have a different style and instrumentation. I didn't quite get into his Masada stuff nor have I found much time for The Book of Angels. I find Zorn a fascinating figure but his prolificacy has kept me from buying any more of his newer releases.

George

First spin.

SACD mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray.

San Antone

George

First, glorious spin. Pure joy, in superb sound!

T. D.

A little sloppy, but some intense playing and a rare appearance by John Gilmore on a non-Sun Ra recording.

One of the few recordings featuring the enigmatic Dupree Bolton.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: T. D. on March 19, 2020, 05:08:18 PM

A little sloppy, but some intense playing and a rare appearance by John Gilmore on a non-Sun Ra recording.
Never seen this! I have been looking for more Elmo Hope for years...

TD: Dexter Gordon.  Don't know why, but suddenly got a craving for DT after not playing any jazz for months.... Just finished "Doin' Alright", not sure what to spin next... Maybe Go
It's all good...

T. D.

Harold Land (ts), Dupree Bolton (tr), Elmo Hope (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Frank Butler (d).

staxomega

Quote from: T. D. on March 19, 2020, 05:08:18 PM

One of the few recordings featuring the enigmatic Dupree Bolton.

What recordings do you like of John Gilmore outside of Sun Ra (I am a huge fan of Ra)? The only one I've heard is Blowin' In From Chicago, a mediocre play for pay session.

SimonNZ

Recently I was listening to a podcast with an author who had written about the poor conditions at Rikers Island and free-associated to myself as I was listening that I really must play that Elmo Hope album again.