What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André Le Nôtre

God the Son (Pharoah Sanders), what else?

bhodges

Gearing up for Darcy James Argue's Secret Society (21st-century, big-band jazz) live from Cal Performances, and available on demand until mid-January. Argue is among the most interesting voices in contemporary jazz, often with a political or sociological bent. Tonight is a filmed version of his album, Real Enemies, from 2016, which explores conspiracy theories.

[asin]B01LR7A01I[/asin]

Performance link is below:

https://calperformances.org/

--Bruce

Old San Antone

Quote from: Brewski on October 21, 2020, 05:56:15 PM
Gearing up for Darcy James Argue's Secret Society (21st-century, big-band jazz) live from Cal Performances, and available on demand until mid-January. Argue is among the most interesting voices in contemporary jazz, often with a political or sociological bent. Tonight is a filmed version of his album, Real Enemies, from 2016, which explores conspiracy theories.

[asin]B01LR7A01I[/asin]

Performance link is below:

https://calperformances.org/

--Bruce

If you want to hear an entire live performance of the work, it was produced on NPR in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/v/KnyzVD2yEDw

Interesting music, although I'm not a fan of overt political messaging through musical performance.  I prefer Duke Ellington's more subtle, indirect, approach - which I also think is more lasting and effective over the long run.

Here's something I've been listening to this week.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZBJ-MmTA-eU

Wynton Marsalis - Jazz in Marciac 2009

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

André Le Nôtre

That Ike Quebec looks great--would definitely want that on LP!

Also, just heard a snippet of this (Wynton Marsalis Ever Fonky Lowdown) on tsfjazz.com. Delightfully different, but apparently no CD available, just MP3.

Old San Antone

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 23, 2020, 01:55:17 PM
That Ike Quebec looks great--would definitely want that on LP!

Also, just heard a snippet of this (Wynton Marsalis Ever Fonky Lowdown) on tsfjazz.com. Delightfully different, but apparently no CD available, just MP3.

That Marsalis work is really interesting/good.  I've been listening to it on Spotify the past couple of weeks, off and on. 

T. D.

Old San Antone

Quote from: T. D. on October 23, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
On and off over a few days:

Those Mosaic boxes are first rate.  I managed to get a bunch of them before they went OOP. 

T. D.

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 23, 2020, 05:34:07 PM
Those Mosaic boxes are first rate.  I managed to get a bunch of them before they went OOP.
Yes, they're excellent.
I resisted the Mosaic "big boxes" for a long time because of the large investment, preferred the 3-disc Selects. But once I purchased one or two I became a convert. I've actually bought more Mosaic product "in the secondary market" rather than when in print. Takes some patience.
The Farmer/Golson is a particularly good one.

And NP, first three discs of this big set:

Artem

Quote from: George on October 22, 2020, 05:45:47 AM

Second spin.
Lovely disk. His other CDs on Blue Note are also pretty good.

Old San Antone

Johnny Hodges - Passion Flower 1940-46

QuoteAllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

For 42 years (with a four-year interruption), altoist Johnny Hodges was the top soloist in the Duke Ellington Orchestra. This excellent CD reissue has the eight selections (plus an alternate take) from Hodges's two Bluebird sessions from 1940-41; among the sidemen on such classics as "Day Dream," "Good Queen Bess," "Passion Flower," and "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" are either Cootie Williams or Ray Nance on trumpet, trombonist Lawrence Brown, and Ellington himself. In addition there are 13 selections by the Duke Ellington Orchestra from 1940-46 that feature Hodges including "Don't Get Around Anymore," "In a Mellotone," "Warm Valley," "I Got It Bad," and "Come Sunday." This is classic music that has been intelligently repackaged.

I just started a biography of Johnny Hodges.  Great stuff.

toledobass

I've been listening to Monk's Brilliant Corners quite deeply for a few weeks now. It's probably been a decade since I've listened to it and I was surprised at how rich this music is. Rollins is incredible of course, and I seem to have a deeper appreciation and more connection for how he and Monk were interacting on this music. What creative partners they were. I also didn't know just how difficult and advanced the title track was at the time....fascinating to learn about how that was dealt with. 

Happy to gain some new insight and appreciation for the language of this album.

Allan

Old San Antone

Quote from: toledobass on October 28, 2020, 04:07:33 PM
I've been listening to Monk's Brilliant Corners quite deeply for a few weeks now. It's probably been a decade since I've listened to it and I was surprised at how rich this music is. Rollins is incredible of course, and I seem to have a deeper appreciation and more connection for how he and Monk were interacting on this music. What creative partners they were. I also didn't know just how difficult and advanced the title track was at the time....fascinating to learn about how that was dealt with. 

Happy to gain some new insight and appreciation for the language of this album.

Allan

Brilliant Corners is a great album.  I've always liked Sonny Rollins, he's probably my favorite sax player.  I've been listening to a lot of his work from the '50s and '60s. 

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 28, 2020, 06:04:04 PM
Brilliant Corners is a great album.  I've always liked Sonny Rollins, he's probably my favorite sax player.  I've been listening to a lot of his work from the '50s and '60s.

Vol.2 and Contemporary Leaders are excellent.

Max Gordon, owner of Village Vanguard, in his memoir named Miles as his favorite player and Rollins for the most memorable performance.

Old San Antone

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 30, 2020, 04:38:08 PM
Vol.2 and Contemporary Leaders are excellent.

Max Gordon, owner of Village Vanguard, in his memoir named Miles as his favorite player and Rollins for the most memorable performance.

Yes, those are two great records by Sonny Rollins, but so many in that period were. 

Old San Antone

Quote from: Tom 1960 on October 31, 2020, 09:56:44 AM

Grnt Green - fantastic guitarist - those Blue Note sessions are so good.

SimonNZ

Learning for the first time that the corner of Grant and Green is in San Francisco and that cover photo is entirely real.