What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on December 20, 2020, 05:41:40 PM
I imagine that's a good one :)

Oh yes. Highly recommended. I love near everything Gary Burton has done but every time he works with Corea there's a special chemistry.

Do you know the Crystal Silence album? Half of the tracks on that double live album are taken from it. And classic though the studio album is I think many of the live versions even better.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 20, 2020, 05:55:49 PM
Oh yes. Highly recommended. I love near everything Gary Burton has done but every time he works with Corea there's a special chemistry.

Do you know the Crystal Silence album? Half of the tracks on that double live album are taken from it. And classic though the studio album is I think many of the live versions even better.

Yes, I have Crystal Silence - the only recording by them that I own as a matter of fact. But based on it, and of course on other music I have by them separately, I figured this one would be well worth checking out. I had never heard of it.

SimonNZ

I don't know if they still make it but ECM put out as one of their 4-cd budget boxes one of Crystal Silence, the equally fine Duet album and the 2 cds of the Zurich concert album:

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 20, 2020, 06:12:08 PM
I don't know if they still make it but ECM put out as one of their 4-cd budget boxes one of Crystal Silence, the equally fine Duet album and the 2 cds of the Zurich concert album:

Thank you, sir!

modified

Albert Mangelsdorff Quintet (2000): Abstractions

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on December 23, 2020, 04:21:41 PM

More Miles. This one cooks!

It sure does. Miles is playing as if he's possessed in this concert (which is the same as My Funny Valentine of course --- another great record).

George

Speaking of which, now enjoying this!

SimonNZ

modified

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on November 17, 2020, 05:44:31 AM
Shoot, I didn't need to know about another "Mulligan Meets..." album with a great artist! I don't actually much love his encounter with Monk but Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges...that is a classic.

Yeah, I tried to like Mulligan Meets Monk for years, but it never became a favorite...

Playing a new discovery (for me, not new by any means): Chico Freeman
It's all good...

BWV 1080

Quote from: George on December 19, 2020, 01:48:01 PM

Now enjoying another great album from that period.

But that's my favorite Miles album!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

James Emery - Spectral Domains (1997)

T. D.

With Booker Little (t), also George Coleman (ts), Ray Draper (tuba).

This new reissue just arrived after over 1.5 months in the post.