What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

1.5 months! That's a long wait. I have one live Miles Davis album with Sam Rivers (the only recording of him and Miles, I'm pretty sure). Man is it good.

I'm playing this, with great pleasure.

It's all good...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 15, 2021, 11:10:16 PM
1.5 months! That's a long wait. I have one live Miles Davis album with Sam Rivers (the only recording of him and Miles, I'm pretty sure). Man is it good.

I'm playing this, with great pleasure.

Tokyo? I love both the albums.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 17, 2021, 06:38:38 PM
Tokyo? I love both the albums.

Yes, Tokyo! Originally I had a 2fer LP from the old days, although as I recall, the other disk had a different lineup. Now I just have the Tokyo on CD. Is there another? 
It's all good...

SimonNZ

Miles Davis - 1958

after long having owned the edition on the right for many years now owning that on the left

rickardg

Joshua Redman Quartet
MoodSwing

This is great!

I also spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to catch up with this thread, now i think I'll be off to listen to some Wynton Marsalis (hat tip to San Antone for his posts back in February 2019...)

Old San Antone

Quote from: Artem on January 22, 2021, 12:46:57 AM

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 23, 2021, 12:56:32 AM

Miles Davis - 1958

after long having owned the edition on the right for many years now owning that on the left
Quote from: rickardg on January 23, 2021, 10:55:45 AM

Joshua Redman Quartet
MoodSwing

This is great!

I also spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to catch up with this thread, now i think I'll be off to listen to some Wynton Marsalis (hat tip to San Antone for his posts back in February 2019...)

Some really good things showing up here.  Of course I know the Miles but the other two I need to check out.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

^Love that album. It was, in fact the first Miles album I ever owned. Haven't played it in a while so gave it another listen on the way home from work.

rickardg

Joshua Redman Quartet
RoundAgain

[asin]B085RPQSR8[/asin]

Apparently the sequel to MoodSwing, the same personnel twenty-some years later, not bad, particularly Silly Little Love Song, but I think I prefer MoodSwing as an album.

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on January 24, 2021, 05:36:45 AM

I always had a difficult time getting into those more transitional Miles albums, especially from the acoustic to electric period albums like Filles de Kilimanjaro and Miles in the Sky, but there are some good pieces on both of these albums. Many people loved In a Silent Way and I would agree that it's quite good, but Bitches Brew is an album that truly reinvented Miles and pushed him into even wider acclaim.

In fact, I wrote a little review on Amazon on Bitches Brew:

Title: One Of Miles Davis' Most Important Albums

I think at this juncture not much needs to be said critically about "Bitches Brew". There are many people that loathe this album while there are others that consider it one of Davis' masterpieces. For me, I lie firmly in the latter camp. I loved "Bitches Brew" on first-listen, which was probably 25 years ago. It is difficult to fathom this album has been around for 50 years now (March of this year marked its 50th anniversary). For those that haven't heard "Bitches Brew", please stop reading this review and just go listen to it. I can guarantee you one thing and that is you've never heard anything like at this point in time. The fact that it still sounds as relevant and fresh day is a testament to creativity and ingenuity of Miles Davis, but also Teo Macero who is very much a member of the band as it was his ear that helped shape this music and give it structure. My understanding is Miles brought in only a few sketches for the music, but wanted to keep the music spontaneous and lively with a thrilling, fly by the seat of your pants improvisational approach. Make no mistake there are themes in each of these pieces and each of themes are basically almost like whispers or clouds of smoke as they vanish quickly. There are some themes that stick around for a longer time like in the piece "John McLaughlin" for example.

I do want to talk a little about the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab hybrid SACD. While it sounds great throughout, there is some distortion in the last 50 seconds or so in "Pharaoh's Dance". I'm not sure if this is a tape issue or what as it's not heard in the 2018 Japanese remaster from the Quadraphonic hybrid SACD release or the 1998 remaster. I found this rather disappointing, but thankfully the rest of this MFSL doesn't have this issue. It was pointed out to me that it might be a tape issue, which is probably what it is or sounds like to me as well.

If you don't own "Bitches Brew", I suggest starting with the 1998 remaster to get your 'feet wet' so to speak. If you dig this album and want to explore more, there is a box set dedicated to these entire sessions called "The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" and it's worth its weight in gold. I can't recommend the MSFL hybrid SACD for the afore mentioned reason, but there are so many other worthy masterings that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Carlo Gesualdo

I am listening to Howling wolf probably my best blues old rock composer and that not all I order an LP mint of Howling wolf whit all the success song, love Howling wolf, he super  8)

SimonNZ

Artem

SimonNZ

Played that Charles Mingus Blue Bird album for or five times over the last few days. Not sure how I'd been unaware of it until just recently.

now:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot