What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Ah damn. And I was just talking about his albums with Gary Burton on the previous page.

playing now, a first listen to this:

RIP

T. D.

On the theme "favorite album covers"

SimonNZ

Artem

Love the cover art on that Corea's album.

I listened to this disk and realised I need more Montgomery in my jazz collection. Such a fine recording.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Very good album, and his debut album from a major label.
The subsequent album, Portrait of Wes, is excellent as well.

Quote from: Artem on February 19, 2021, 11:37:48 AM
Love the cover art on that Corea's album.

I listened to this disk and realised I need more Montgomery in my jazz collection. Such a fine recording.

Artem

First time listening to this highly praised disk. Great concept, but it felt underwhelming. Duo and solo performances were really great (Isfahan is so beautiful), but in larger group musicians felt uninspired. Maybe it's just a wrong first impression. We'll see.

SimonNZ

Stürmisch Bewegt

Haven't heard this in a very long (too long) time.  It's genius from the man whose life was taken from us way too soon.  As if that wasn't enough, many of his original tapes were lost in the 2008 Universal fire. 

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Old San Antone

Quote from: Artem on February 23, 2021, 10:48:44 AM
First time listening to this highly praised disk. Great concept, but it felt underwhelming. Duo and solo performances were really great (Isfahan is so beautiful), but in larger group musicians felt uninspired. Maybe it's just a wrong first impression. We'll see.

I am a big fan of Joe Henderson's late career Verve recordings, including this one, his first.  My favorite is probably his take on Porgy & Bess.

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mark Shim. My favorite tenor.

T. D.

Just arrived. I touted it on the New Releases thread.

Artem

Would be interesting to hear your opinion of it. Looks like a very interesting release.

T. D.

It's good, but there have been some really excellent Horace Tapscott releases the last couple of years. I haven't enjoyed this release quite as much as the last 3 under Tapscott's name (2 on Dark Tree, one on Soul Jazz). Don't regret purchasing it, but for instance the next-to-last tune is a bass solo that I didn't love and the final tune includes vocals by Miranda's father that weren't fully to my taste.
In my experience the physical CD and vinyl of these releases sell out quickly, so if one doesn't "do downloads" the ordering window may not stay open for long.

Mirror Image

Taking a bit of a break from classical.

NP: Terje Rypdal/Miroslav Vitous/Jack DeJohnette - s/t

An album that has remained absolutely vital to me and my existence. Rypdal is a huge influence on my own guitar playing.

Old San Antone

The Miles Davis Complete Quintet Sessions 1965-1968

This image does not represent my set, which is the original "metal" box.

SimonNZ

There was a couple of those metal boxes that looked like they might have started rusting pretty quickly.

played six or seven Dave Brubeck albums last night, including:

played today:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Old San Antone on March 21, 2021, 07:47:32 PM
The Miles Davis Complete Quintet Sessions 1965-1968

This image does not represent my set, which is the original "metal" box.

I own all of those Miles metal boxes (or actually spines) and I absolutely love them. That particular set you're listening to is my favorite of them all.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 21, 2021, 07:52:44 PM
There was a couple of those metal boxes that looked like they might have started rusting pretty quickly.

All of mine look fine. It's the Bill Evans Complete Verve box set that was originally issued that became a 'rust box'. :) I own this set as well and mine isn't as rusty as many other ones that I've seen online.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2021, 08:20:22 PM
I own all of those Miles metal boxes (or actually spines) and I absolutely love them. That particular set you're listening to is my favorite of them all.

I certainly understand the attraction of the Second Quintet material, but getting to hear at length Gil Evans teaching the orchestra all the tricky bits for Miles Ahead made that one the essential box (as opposed to simply owning the standard albums) for me.