What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: George on June 19, 2021, 12:31:50 PM
My pleasure. As for the calls to sit down, I guess it could be anything. She was an eccentric and amazing woman.

Did you happen to catch Janis Ian's (the author of the song) comment?

Yes, quite interesting. I haven't heard Ian's version in so long that the alterations didn't quite register, but it was clear that she respected Simone enormously.

--Bruce

Alek Hidell

Some of my recent stuff:

Apparently an O-P theme going on (Oscar/Ornette, two Pauls) ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Paul Bley is a very good player.

Woody Shaw. Imagination.

aligreto

Quote from: Brewski on June 19, 2021, 08:02:14 AM

Coincidentally, was listening to Nina Simone today: From 1976, "I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)," live from the Montreux Jazz Festival, in excellent audio and video. She really was a great singer, among her other gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3sdF0YXkM

--Bruce

Quote from: George on June 19, 2021, 08:11:55 AM
This Simone performance blew me away earlier this week. Amazing stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0B9FXU72A

Both terrific performances. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. She was such a powerful performer.

Artem

I enjoy Art Pepper playing. In general I enjoy discovering 1970s and 1980s releases from jazzmen that were considered to be in their prime in the 1950s or 1960s. This album was recorded in 1975. 10 years passed since Pepper recorded his previous record, as I understanding it from the liner notes. It's good. Hampton Hawes on electric piano is a really nice touch.

My first Jimmy Smith cd and what a pleasant surprise. Didn't think I would be enjoying jazz organ. But I feel it's Kenny Burrell who's the real star that disk. Magnificent guitar playing from him as always.

I've only recently bought this disk after having 20 other different releases by John Coltrane. Don't know why I waited so long to pick it up. It's a really great session with top music writing.

T. D.

A couple of discs from this, maybe more later.

One of my favorite box sets. Excellent music, pull-no-punches booklet by Laurie Pepper. If you've read Pepper's harrowing autobiography Straight Life, his stage patter during these performances gives further glimpses into his extreme substance abuser personality (with the accompanying unpleasant aspects, in spades).

Alek Hidell

My latest, first listens all:

For some reason I'm not usually too fond of duo albums, but I enjoyed the Lake/Parker set (I seem to like Parker more as an accompanist than as a leader of his own sessions, except I do love his O'Neal's Porch). The Howard was fine, with the kind of free-blowing 'ugliness' typical of the time (it was recorded in 1969), certainly good enough to return to later.

Hadn't listened to any Bärtsch in a while, so it was nice to turn to these two recordings (both new to me, as I say). The Live is especially fine - what a tight ensemble Ronin is (was?). I'm lacking several of his albums, so I'm going to seek them out soon.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Artem

Sundays are great for jazz. Hawkins disk was quite pleasant. I've been listening to it during the week late at night at low volume and it works very nice. It's hard to find a bad bossa nova jazz album. Getz is enjoyable, but I feel like arrangements could have been more interesting, more sophisticated. Griffin is relentless blowing. Not my thing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

mabuse

Steve Beresford & Han Bennink - B + B
Instant Composers Pool (2002)

mabuse

The Lester Young / Teddy Wilson Quartet ‎– Pres and Teddy
Verve (1957)

On a Japanese edition...  8)
I very much appreciate the sound improvement !

mabuse

Marion Brown : Musique du Film de Marcel Camus "Le Temps Fou"
Polydor (1969)

$1,500 to get the LP... https://www.discogs.com/Marion-Brown-Le-Temps-Fou/release/2914053
I can settle for YouTube this time  ;D

T. D.

Quote from: mabuse on July 05, 2021, 04:16:48 PM

Marion Brown : Musique du Film de Marcel Camus "Le Temps Fou"
Polydor (1969)

$1,500 to get the LP... https://www.discogs.com/fr/Marion-Brown-Le-Temps-Fou/release/2914053
I can settle for YouTube this time  ;D

No doubt a good one. I like Marion Brown, but his recordings are difficult to collect.  :'( I'm too cheap - always pass on $25 Japanese reissues that quickly go oop.

Just noticed: that LP is scheduled for reissue this month!

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/986896?kwfilter=Marion+Brown&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&sort_order=artist

Brian

Please help as I am confused!

I just listened to this one for the first time, got it in a "Five Original Albums" slimline box of Kenny Burrell stuff. And it is a very nice live jam, but there is one little quirk...the live performance of "Lady Be Good" by George Gershwin is in fact a live performance of "Hackensack" by Thelonious Monk. Not complaining, I love me some Monk of course  8) But now I'm looking at the Wiki page for this album and seeing that Hackensack was never on it. And I'm googling "Kenny Burrell Hackensack" and all the results are telling me about times he visited Rudy van Gelder's studio in the town of that name.

So like...has this album always had "Hackensack" mislabeled as "Lady Be Good"? Did I get a super secret lost track? What's going on here?

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2021, 05:57:38 AM

I just listened to this one for the first time, got it in a "Five Original Albums" slimline box of Kenny Burrell stuff. And it is a very nice live jam, but there is one little quirk...the live performance of "Lady Be Good" by George Gershwin is in fact a live performance of "Hackensack" by Thelonious Monk. Not complaining, I love me some Monk of course  8) But now I'm looking at the Wiki page for this album and seeing that Hackensack was never on it. And I'm googling "Kenny Burrell Hackensack" and all the results are telling me about times he visited Rudy van Gelder's studio in the town of that name.

So like...has this album always had "Hackensack" mislabeled as "Lady Be Good"? Did I get a super secret lost track? What's going on here?

You are correct! The All Music Guide review mentions it.

...Incorrectly identified as "Lady Be Good," this is actually an adaptation reworked by Thelonious Monk titled "Hackensack."...

https://www.allmusic.com/album/on-view-at-the-five-spot-cafe-mw0000191601

Brian

Quote from: T. D. on July 06, 2021, 06:23:57 AM
You are correct! The All Music Guide review mentions it.

...Incorrectly identified as "Lady Be Good," this is actually an adaptation reworked by Thelonious Monk titled "Hackensack."...

https://www.allmusic.com/album/on-view-at-the-five-spot-cafe-mw0000191601
Thank you! I'm saved  ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2021, 05:57:38 AM

Same chord progression.
Other live album at Village Gate (or Vanguard) is excellent as well.

mabuse

Quote from: T. D. on July 05, 2021, 04:21:20 PM
No doubt a good one. I like Marion Brown, but his recordings are difficult to collect.  :'( I'm too cheap - always pass on $25 Japanese reissues that quickly go oop.

Just noticed: that LP is scheduled for reissue this month!

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/986896?kwfilter=Marion+Brown&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&sort_order=artist

I got interested in Marion Brown following the publication of these two records last year by ezz-thetics records:

This take up his first albums recorded between 1966 and 1968.
I plan to order them soon... (The prices are still reasonable. And that they are CDs rather than LPs suits me much better... Hey, I'm a modern guy !  :D )

By quickly browsing his discography, I was struck by his radical change in the 80s. His music then becomes very "academic", I would say ...

I recommend this very informative site about him :
http://discog.piezoelektric.org/marionbrown/releases.html