What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Destiny

Bogey

That Bill Evans' stuff looks stinking sweet!

Thread duty:

From 1962, an essential.

I'll tell you what.  This album works on so many levels.  Want to hear the deep groove of a tenor sax played so smoothly that you catch yourself not noticing the rest of your surroundings?  This does it.  Want something that you can put on in the background when having guests over for a nice dinner and conversation?  Again, here you go.  I could see pairing this one with Coltrane's Ballads release and calling it good for the evening. 

Dexter in '62 by Francis Wolf:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Quote from: Bogey on January 04, 2016, 05:53:22 PM
That Bill Evans' stuff looks stinking sweet!

Thread duty:

From 1962, an essential.

I'll tell you what.  This album works on so many levels.  Want to hear the deep groove of a tenor sax played so smoothly that you catch yourself not noticing the rest of your surroundings?  This does it.  Want something that you can put on in the background when having guests over for a nice dinner and conversation?  Again, here you go.  I could see pairing this one with Coltrane's Ballads release and calling it good for the evening. 

Dexter in '62 by Francis Wolf:

Bill, you've cost me money again!!

Artem

That was my first Dexter Gordon cd. Very nice album.

Bogey

Quote from: Brian on January 04, 2016, 06:30:26 PM

A pleasure contributing to your library, Brian.  ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

That made me pull out this for another listen:

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

SimonNZ

George Cables - Phantom Of The City (1985)

George

Quote from: Brian on January 04, 2016, 06:30:26 PM

Wanna get him back? Just start listening to some old school 50s vinyl with cool album covers. That'll send him out to the shops! ;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

king ubu

Very, very sad about Paul Bley's death.

[asin]B000Q6ZMUG[/asin]
[asin]B000056ETX[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

last one tonight:

[asin]B000027U8J[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Green Destiny

Now playing:

Art Blakey - Au Club St. Germain

Bogey

Conor's next delivery of jazz box sets.  Damn!

Thread duty:

Recorded in '57, but released in '59.  And if you think it is great due simply to the personnel on the front, then you are spot on.  I thought that Dizzy might get a bit drowned out by Stitt and Rollins, but he soars above them enough that he equals their power throughout.  There is one track, After Hours, that is just soulful blues and brings the session to a quiet and almost "what happened" standstill, but even it is a beautiful piece to hear.  This is from someone just starting to dig Dizzy's sound.  Not sure why it has taken me so long, but there you have it.  This recording is definitely helping me on my journey and encouraging me to discover his other recordings..

SimonNZ

Ron Carter - 1+3 (1978)

Mulgrew Miller - The Countdown (1988)

Gateway - Homecoming (1995)

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Tonight's listening:

On my 3rd straight listen to Disc 1 - features a great live version of Moanin' :)

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Green Destiny

Today at work:

I like listening to stuff on my breaks - it makes the degradation of work more bearable :laugh:

Green Destiny

Now playing:

Just received this box-set today and listening to this album for the first time.
I love the Bass - I play (very, very poorly) myself so I am in awe of musicians like Stanley Clarke.
This should be a good box-set I think :)

Green Destiny

Friday morning listen:

Very nice live album - now playing Disc 1 :)