What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 12, 2022, 05:52:22 PM
All of his albums in the 1950-60s are excellent. When I was a high school student, I was crazy about his  "So Long Eric". I think I still am.   ;D

Yes, anything that I have heard from him I really liked.
He was another late "discovery" for me.

San Antone

I've been listening to the complete Miles boxes, this week it was Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963–1964.

These sessions document Miles transition from the late '50s bands which cumulated with the sextet that made Kind of Blue. These bands from 1955-1960 featured John Coltrane, later paired with Cannonball Adderley.  It would take Miles several years and various personnel changes before he would create his second great quintet.  He had settled on the rhythm section of Tony Williams, Ron Carter, and Herbie Hancock but went through several sax players.

Of special interest in this box is Dic Six which contains the Miles in Tokyo recordings, with Sam Rivers, the last link in the chain which ultimately led to
Wayne Shorter, and the final make up of the quintet for Miles in Berlin, Disc Seven.  "Seven Steps to Heaven" is something of a pun.

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on July 15, 2022, 03:51:15 AM
I've been listening to the complete Miles boxes, this week it was Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963–1964.

These sessions document Miles transition from the late '50s bands which cumulated with the sextet that made Kind of Blue. These bands from 1955-1960 featured John Coltrane, later paired with Cannonball Adderley.  It would take Miles several years and various personnel changes before he would create his second great quintet.  He had settled on the rhythm section of Tony Williams, Ron Carter, and Herbie Hancock but went through several sax players.

Of special interest in this box is Dic Six which contains the Miles in Tokyo recordings, with Sam Rivers, the last link in the chain which ultimately led to
Wayne Shorter, and the final make up of the quintet for Miles in Berlin, Disc Seven.  "Seven Steps to Heaven" is something of a pun.

Nice. Looks like a very good set.

SimonNZ

Duke Ellington - The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse (1975)

Once past the unnecessary chatty bit at the beginning this again strikes me as one of Ellingtons very best albums.

Reminded again that I keep meaning to make edited versions of the later Ellington live albums which have great performances but the mood killed by all the chatty interruptions. I guess a hangover from the dancehall days when you had to give people time to come and go from the floor after a number or catch their breath etc.

aligreto

Jimmy Cobb Quartet: Jazz In The Key Of Blue

This ensemble comprises drums, trumpet, guitar and double bass. This is a very smooth and mellow sounding album and it makes for a relaxed listening session; good late night listening. Everything is quite chilled. The instrumentalists blend very well together and create quite a tight sound. I particularly like the guitar playing on the album. There is also a nice sense of easy Swing to the rhythm section.

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

San Antone

Artem

Quote from: aligreto on July 13, 2022, 03:24:38 AM
Yes, anything that I have heard from him I really liked.
He was another late "discovery" for me.
Mingus was together with Coltrane and Miles Davis my introduction to jazz music when I was just starting to listen to it. Mingus at Antibes was one of my all time favourites as well as his recordings for the Impulse! label. However, these days I almost never reach out for his CDs when I want to listen to jazz. It's kind of weird.

aligreto

Quote from: Artem on July 18, 2022, 12:02:14 PM
Mingus was together with Coltrane and Miles Davis my introduction to jazz music when I was just starting to listen to it. Mingus at Antibes was one of my all time favourites as well as his recordings for the Impulse! label. However, these days I almost never reach out for his CDs when I want to listen to jazz. It's kind of weird.

Over-exposure at one point in your life and then moved on to investigate other musicians.

SimonNZ

bhodges

Diane Schuur - Pure Schuur (1991). Haven't heard any of her work in years, my bad. Not always crazy about some of the arrangements, but the good ones are really good. This was her first recording after losing a lot of weight, and happy to say, the change didn't seem to affect her clarion voice.

--Bruce

SimonNZ

Ellington's Afro-Eurasian Eclipse on continual repeat tonight. Currently the fourth or fifth go.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 22, 2022, 02:36:38 AM
Ellington's Afro-Eurasian Eclipse on continual repeat tonight. Currently the fourth or fifth go.

OK, that sounds like one that must be investigated!

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on July 22, 2022, 03:20:09 AM
OK, that sounds like one that must be investigated!

Definitely. Get past the 1 minute 35 second chatty bit and then crank it right up to 11.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 22, 2022, 03:30:11 AM
Definitely. Get past the 1 minute 35 second chatty bit and then crank it right up to 11.

Sound advice  ;D

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 11

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 11:

Clifford's Kappa (Ray Draper - The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane - 12/20/57)
Filide (The Believer) (Ray Draper – The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane - 12/20/57)
Paul's Pal (The Believer – 1958) (Ray Draper - The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane – 12/20/57)
Ammon Joy (Gene Ammons – Groove Blues – 1/3/58)
Groove Blues (Gene Ammons – Groove Blues – 1/3/58)
The Real McCoy (Gene Ammons – The Big Sound – 1/3/58)
It Might As Well Be Spring (Gene Ammons – Groove Blues – 1/3/58)

SimonNZ

Reading for the first time that  the 1959 "The Queen's Suite" existed as only one pressed copy presented to Queen Elizabeth until this commercial release after Ellington's death.

aligreto

Carol Kidd: Nice Work

This is a light, bright and upbeat album. There is nothing profound here, just easy listening to a smooth and pleasant voice but also to a good ensemble of musicians doing a good job. The highlight on this album for me was the immaculate chord progressions of the guitarist on the tune "I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plan".

San Antone

Doin All Right (Blue Note Classic Vinyl)
Dexter Gordon