What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Destiny

Quote from: Artem on January 09, 2016, 06:26:23 PM
That is a great album. I love Ike Quebec. He's nice and smooth but never boring.

Ike Quebec is awesome for sure - I really love the tone he is able to extract from his instrument.
I was reading a bit about him today - its a shame he died so young :(

SimonNZ

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 09, 2016, 05:36:45 PM
That's an all-star lineup for sure! - what did you think of the album Simon?

I was struck this time by how much it sounded like early Return To Forever...then realised that Corea, Clarke and Morea were all on those albums which were being recorded at the same time. Fine by me, I love early RTF.

playing now:

Collin Walcott - Cloud Dance (1976)

Damn! Why haven't I heard this amazing album before now?!

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 09, 2016, 06:54:14 PM
I was struck this time by how much it sounded like early Return To Forever...then realised that Corea, Clarke and Morea were all on those albums which were being recorded at the same time. Fine by me, I love early RTF.

Thanks that sounds like something I would enjoy :)

Speaking of Stanley Clarke - NP:

The last (unplayed) album in the Clarke box I received last week - as expected I really enjoyed that set.

SimonNZ

king ubu

after a wonderful concert (Julia Fischer/Igor Levit playing Beethoven's Kreutzer and Op. 96), back with Paul Bley:

foogly covers, but his run of trio records for Steeplechase is pretty darn great ... "Paul Plays Carla" is probably my favourite of 'em, but I have one more to go which is dedicated to the music of Ornette Coleman, so ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

before:

[asin]B013PRSXTY[/asin]

now:

[asin]B000006P1S[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

NikF

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 09, 2016, 02:04:38 PM
Now playing:

Oh yeah.

In other news...

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges.

[asin]B000094T54[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Green Destiny

Quote from: NikF on January 12, 2016, 05:24:49 AM
Oh yeah.

In other news...

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges.

[asin]B000094T54[/asin]

For sure! 8)

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Donald Byrd and Doug Watkins - The Transition Sessions

king ubu

Love Doug Watkins - and that two disc set is wonderful!

In the past days started exploring this:

[asin]B0157S7MTQ[/asin]
looking forward very much to playing all of the music in there, the second disc for one, jams by Teddy Wilson with Stan Getz and (separately) Zoot Sims is wonderful indeed, then there's a disc by Teddy Edwards' quartet (which had a few albums out, also one on Atlantic under Castro's leadership), a disc of early free jams with Chico Hamilton, a disc of jams with Oscar Pettiford, a disc by Castro's big band and one by a tentet led by Edwards ... none of it was ever released before, and there's an amazing website put up for this release:
http://www.joecastrojazz.com/

Then, since reading about Pettiford being on the Castro set, I was reminded to finally also get the two new ones by Sonorama (still have their Brew Moore and Albert Mangelsdorff discs on the shopping list) and played the shorter first one last night - lots of wonderful Hans Koller, and based on the Koller/Pettiford quartet with Attila Zoller (g) and - in this case - Kenny Clarke (d) (the longer second disc has the group's regular drummer Jimmy Pratt who also appears on the Castro set alongside Pettiford):

[asin]B00Y1QGI9G[/asin]

right now:

[asin]B00N58FH4I[/asin]
a rag bag of stuff with various groups (mostly German big bands, but on some tracks you get the group with Dick Twardzik (plus horns) who OD'ed a few days later, and you also get Lars Gullin playing two solos
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

next one by OP ... these are recordings from the second ("We Get the Message") and third ("Blues in My Mind") NDR Jazz Workshops, the first alas just about half of what's known to be around (yet it contains both trio features, the second one ("Gone With the Wind", played by OP's dentist Dr. P. Hieber (p), accompanied by Moore (b) and Clarke (d) is added as a ghost track at the end of the CD), the second pretty complete though:

[asin]B016E9KEBA[/asin]
The group here again is based around the Pettiford/Koller quartet with Attila Zoller and now Jimmy Pratt, the others included are Dusko Goykovich and Roger Guérin (t), Armin Rusch (p) and Michel Hausser (vib). This is about as good as it got in Europe at that time!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Green Destiny

Just received this Disc today and listening for the first time:

Lovely album :)

king ubu

there shall be a sh*tload of aFR sales items be dumped here in the next days ... I reckon I'll have some 'splainin' to do sooner or later and possibly several times  ;D

anyway, first load landed, and out of the parcel comes this one, for starters:

Prestige recorded the quartet of Charles, Mal Waldron, Addison Farmer and Jerry Segal, probably in hopes to get some of the attention the Modern Jazz Quartet got ... here, they've got Idrees Sulieman along for the ride, a mighty fine trumpet player not documented the way he deserved ... and thus I won't complain'

now:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Some more Pettiford recordings from Germany, this time from the vaults of SWR (Südwestrundfunk now, SWF/Südwestfunk at that time, I think) - not sure how "lost" all these tracks really were, but they're fine and haven't been available for a while for sure (but I think some have previously been around) ... anyway, things start with a duet, OP/Dusko Goykovich doing "But Not for Me" and the we hear Lucky Thompson (boy do I love his playing!) doing "Sophisticated Lady" (LT on soprano, obviously, that tune lends itself perfectly to the soprano, as Coltrane later found out as well). Next up are a few cuts with Rolf Kühn and Jimmy Pratt - interesting line-up: cl/b/d - Hans Koller joins for one of them. The next date then is the OP/Koller group again, with Attila Zoller and Jimmy Pratt. All of these tracks date from 1959 (February to July), the final five are from December 1958 and thus from the same time as the NDR recodings. These have Koller, OP and Kenny Clarke with Hans Hammerschmid on piano, four saxes on two of the cuts (Rudi Flierl on alto and the massive baritone threesome of Helmut Brandt, Helmut Reinhardt and Johnny Feigl), and with Attila Zoller on the last two cuts instead of the four additional saxes. As with the Baker disc above (which comes from the radio station's vaults), we thus get a lot of variety. And as someone once said, Pettiford never played a bad solo. Whatever situation he found himself in, he was able to cope. A great musician, a terrific bass player, one of jazz' best cello players ... and a huge loss, his young death in 1960.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

James

Action is the only truth