What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 03, 2022, 06:39:46 PM
8) Thanks, but I'm not really in a classical mood, so my posts will be rather limited. Good to see you, Manabu. :)

I see you're listening to Freddie Hubbard. 8) Let me ask you, how large is your jazz CD collection?

I lost most of the CDs (and my house) due to a tornado in 2018. Plus I was busy selling and buying discs before that. At the peak, probably I had 2-3000 jazz discs. Now I have a few hundreds of electronic files.

Miles Davis liked very few trumpeters, which included  Farmer, Hubbard, and Dizzy.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 03, 2022, 06:47:40 PM
I lost most of the CDs (and my house) due to a tornado in 2018. Plus I was busy selling and buying discs before that. At the peak, probably I had 2-3000 jazz discs. Now I have a few hundreds of electronic files.

Miles Davis liked very few trumpeters, which included  Farmer, Hubbard, and Dizzy.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about that! I was incredibly lucky, because in 2017 a tree landed on our house due to Hurricane Irma (or its' downgraded tropical storm name...whatever that may be). The damage was extensive, but thankfully there were no CDs (or humans and pets) harmed in this storm's path of destruction. :) Between my dad and I, we own around around 5,000-7,000 jazz CDs. We did most of our collecting in the late 90s up until 2007 or 2008.

Miles Davis is one of my favorite bandleaders and there are so many outstanding albums made during his long career that I absolutely adore, but I wouldn't say he's one of my favorite trumpeters even though I do, indeed, love his playing, especially when he's 'in the zone'. Here are some of my absolute favorite trumpeters: Clifford Brown, Woody Shaw, Chet Baker, Lee Morgan, Dizzy Gillespie, Tomasz Stanko, Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Wheeler, Kenny Dorham, Art Farmer, Conte Candoli et. al.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 03, 2022, 07:13:00 PM
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about that! I was incredibly lucky, because in 2017 a tree landed on our house due to Hurricane Irma (or its' downgraded tropical storm name...whatever that may be). The damage was extensive, but thankfully there were no CDs (or humans and pets) harmed in this storm's path of destruction. :) Between my dad and I, we own around around 5,000-7,000 jazz CDs. We did most of our collecting in the late 90s up until 2007 or 2008.

Miles Davis is one of my favorite bandleaders and there are so many outstanding albums made during his long career that I absolutely adore, but I wouldn't say he's one of my favorite trumpeters even though I do, indeed, love his playing, especially when he's 'in the zone'. Here are some of my absolute favorite trumpeters: Clifford Brown, Woody Shaw, Chet Baker, Lee Morgan, Dizzy Gillespie, Tomasz Stanko, Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Wheeler, Kenny Dorham, Art Farmer, Conte Candoli et. al.

I don't know Wheeler. For my list I would add Booker Little, Terence Blanchard, Wallace Roney and Roy Hargrove.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 03, 2022, 07:23:30 PM
I don't know Wheeler. For my list I would add Booker Little, Terence Blanchard, Wallace Roney and Roy Hargrove.

Wow...you never heard of Kenny Wheeler?!?!? OMG! :o I guess I shouldn't be that surprised because he's not a 'household name', but has recorded many albums that I love and would take to the desert island most namely the following: Gnu High, The Widow in the Window and Music for Large & Small Ensembles. I also love his earlier big band album with the John Dankworth Orchestra called Windmill Tilter: The Story of Don Quixote. Check these albums out. I think you'll find something you enjoy. He had a haunting sound on the trumpet --- there is much sadness in his playing. For that list you mentioned, I like Booker Little and Roy Hargrove. Both of these particular trumpeters died too young. There's no telling what they would've done.

Mirror Image

NP:

Chick Corea Trio: Trilogy (Disc 1)

Simply outstanding. It's too bad this particular trio couldn't have done more recordings due to Corea's unfortunate illness and later his passing (he died in 2021). There are two sets with this trio and they're worth their weight in gold. Here's the other set:

Mirror Image

Speaking of Kenny Wheeler...NP:

George Adams: Sound Suggestions

You should definitely give this album a listen, Manabu!

aligreto

Brian Blade Fellowship: Perceptual

This is very easy listening fusion style contemporary jazz. I find it to be engaging, interesting and atmospheric. I particularly like the guitar work but they are all excellent musicians.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on October 05, 2022, 01:17:30 PM
Brian Blade Fellowship: Perceptual

This is very easy listening fusion style contemporary jazz. I find it to be engaging, interesting and atmospheric. I particularly like the guitar work but they are all excellent musicians.

A great album, Fergus! I love this Brian Blade band. Have you heard their other recordings? Perceptual is probably my favorite overall, but I really like these two as well:

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2022, 01:35:40 PM
A great album, Fergus! I love this Brian Blade band. Have you heard their other recordings? Perceptual is probably my favorite overall, but I really like these two as well:

No, John, I do not know those albums. Thank you for the recommendations. This is what people talk about when you are not around. You know stuff, obscure stuff  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on October 05, 2022, 01:45:17 PM
No, John, I do not know those albums. Thank you for the recommendations. This is what people talk about when you are not around. You know stuff, obscure stuff  ;D

:) Well, I wouldn't call Brian Blade obscure considering his own work as a sideman, which includes a whole list of remarkable jazz musicians like Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman and the list goes on and on. His Fellowship Band has been around for quite some time now and has went through many changes, but one constant in this band is composer/pianist/keyboardist Jon Cowherd who is basically the yin to Blade's yang. I couldn't imagine a Fellowship album without his creative input. Kind of like the Pat Metheny Group with Lyle Mays. Metheny wouldn't have had the kind of success he had without Mays' compositional input and his musical contributions.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2022, 02:28:25 PM
:) Well, I wouldn't call Brian Blade obscure considering his own work as a sideman, which includes a whole list of remarkable jazz musicians like Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman and the list goes on and on. His Fellowship Band has been around for quite some time now and has went through many changes, but one constant in this band is composer/pianist/keyboardist Jon Cowherd who is basically the yin to Blade's yang. I couldn't imagine a Fellowship album without his creative input. Kind of like the Pat Metheny Group with Lyle Mays. Metheny wouldn't have had the kind of success he had without Mays' compositional input and his musical contributions.

Obscure music, or any other art form for that matter, is always relative to one's knowledge and exposure to these things, John.  ;)
You see, in my ignorance of this genre of music, I have not heard of most of the musicians that you have mentioned let alone heard their music  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 03:15:47 AM
Obscure music, or any other art form for that matter, is always relative to one's knowledge and exposure to these things, John.  ;)
You see, in my ignorance of this genre of music, I have not heard of most of the musicians that you have mentioned let alone heard their music  ;D

I understand. I guess if one hasn't listened to jazz or has avoided it, the names wouldn't ring a bell. :) Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying Brian Blade's music and I encourage you to continue to explore not only his own recordings, but to check out more jazz in the future.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2022, 06:55:35 AM
I understand. I guess if one hasn't listened to jazz or has avoided it, the names wouldn't ring a bell. :) Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying Brian Blade's music and I encourage you to continue to explore not only his own recordings, but to check out more jazz in the future.

Cheers, John. I have been endeavouring to listen to a lot more Jazz over the last year or so and I have been thoroughly enjoying it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 07:17:03 AM
Cheers, John. I have been endeavouring to listen to a lot more Jazz over the last year or so and I have been thoroughly enjoying it.

Very nice to read, Fergus. What are some recordings that have stuck out to you and made an impression on you?

aligreto

Mingus: The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

What a wonderful, different and exciting sound world there is on this album. Some very different sounds emanate from this music making, often riotous and cacophonous but also terrifically exciting.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2022, 07:31:45 AM
Very nice to read, Fergus. What are some recordings that have stuck out to you and made an impression on you?

Too many to list, John, but a quick survey of past pages here will give you some indication. Each and every listening was, for the most part, a revealing experience. However, one major standout for me was a 16 CD set that I was given access to of John Coultrane's Prestige Recordings. That in particular, made for terrific listening for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 12:38:22 PM
Mingus: The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

What a wonderful, different and exciting sound world there is on this album. Some very different sounds emanate from this music making, often riotous and cacophonous but also terrifically exciting.

Thumbs up! One of the great Mingus albums.

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 12:39:54 PM
Too many to list, John, but a quick survey of past pages here will give you some indication. Each and every listening was, for the most part, a revealing experience. However, one major standout for me was a 16 CD set that I was given access to of John Coultrane's Prestige Recordings. That in particular, made for terrific listening for me.

Oh, that's a great set. If you Coltrane do check out his Atlantic and Impulse recordings as well, although his last albums for the label were "free jazz" and this is something I've never been able to get into for the simple fact that jazz, from musical philosophy point-of-view, is already "free" in a certain sense.

aligreto

Dizzy Gillespie- The Cool World

I am not quite sure but I think that this may be my first time to listen to a Dizzy album.

This is, apparently, the soundtrack to the film of the same name. I like the energy and steady drive in this music and music making. There are a few atmospheric tracks here also. I am not normally percussively inclined but I did notice the quality of the drumming quite a lot here.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on October 08, 2022, 03:04:53 PM
Dizzy Gillespie- The Cool World

I am not quite sure but I think that this may be my first time to listen to a Dizzy album.

This is, apparently, the soundtrack to the film of the same name. I like the energy and steady drive in this music and music making. There are a few atmospheric tracks here also. I am not normally percussively inclined but I did notice the quality of the drumming quite a lot here.

Nice disc. I like the recording!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh