What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Quote from: aligreto on March 01, 2023, 12:19:35 PMDonald Harrison, Ron Carter, Billy Cobham- This Is Jazz (Live At The Blue Note)

Excellent and very smooth music making! Terrific live energy and atmosphere. Great listen!

Pretty hard to go wrong with that line-up.

SimonNZ

Duke Ellington - Soul Call (1967)

Excellent concert of mostly less familiar pieces - including a couple from Such Sweet Thunder.

I'll be buying the 8cd "Côte d'Azur Concerts", which includes these selections,  if I ever see it around.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Brian

In memory of Wayne Shorter, who has died at age 89, listening to his white-hot solo on "Free for All": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJBLA39spc4

One of my favorite jazz solos of all time and maybe the most intense of the hard bop era.

aligreto

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus

Tight and cool! Wonderful stuff!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wayning Moments - Wayne Shorter.

SimonNZ

Brian

I bought this knowing Barry Harris only as a sideman, but trusting that Sam Jones and Louis Hayes are a mark of quality. It's a great trio album, everyone is in a good mellow groove, and I think I need to learn more about Harris and the rest of his discography.

T. D.

Mark Stryker, the excellent Detroit-based journalist, wrote this appreciation of Barry Harris including playlist with audio/video clips:

https://ethaniverson.com/2021/12/10/mark-strykers-barry-harris-playlist/

I should have just posted this rather than the above.

Keemun

It's been a long time since I listened this.  I saw it while scrolling through my Spotify albums and thought, why not?
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on March 02, 2023, 01:24:38 PMSonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus

Tight and cool! Wonderful stuff!

Yes great album!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Freddie Hubbard + Wayne Shorter: Nostrand and Fulton.
Nice, modal, composition with 4/4, 3/4, 5/4 measures.

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 08, 2023, 10:15:32 PM

followed by:

disc three

I think Basie was under a bad/unfair contract with Decca and John Hammond, entrepreneur and civil rights activist, helped him to get out of Decca. Something like that. My memory is not quite sharp. Still good recording though.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Lee Morgan + Wayne Shorter: Trapped.

aligreto

Bugge Wesseltoft: Songs

A simple and relaxed session of solo piano playing with nothing too taxing in the playing and the harmonies employed are particularly wonderful.

aligreto

John Taylor: Whirlpool

Very smooth and relaxing piano trio Jazz playing. Piano, bass and drums constitute the lineup. The musicians, both individually and collectively, are excellent.

KevinP

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 09, 2023, 01:06:57 AMI think Basie was under a bad/unfair contract with Decca and John Hammond, entrepreneur and civil rights activist, helped him to get out of Decca. Something like that. My memory is not quite sharp. Still good recording though.

The Deccas are wonderful sides, right up there with the Columbias.

And I love Gene Ammons (re: SimonNZ's post). He's one of those names that everybody knows, but he doesn't get the airplay he deserves.