What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 24, 2016, 12:45:12 PM
^Is that newly discovered/cleaned up Ellington material, or stuff that's been previously available?

As usual with these Storyville boxes it's mostly stuff that was previously out on Storyville - but as I have rather few of their releases, I thoroughly enjoy these boxes (and a few of them contained more new material than others). In this case, all I had was "Munich 1958" which corresponds to disc 2. Disc 3 is short (33 or 34 minutes) but new, the DVD I don't know, all others have titles that may correspond to earlier Storyville releases (I'm sure in the case of "The Jaywalker" as I had a copy of that one previously).

Some details here (but european amazon sites have the better prices for once, I payed little more than 30 this time, not sure I snatched any of the others I have - Duke 1, Webster, Tatum, Teddy Wilson, Earl Hines, George Lewis, Strayhorn, Satchmo - for such an attractive price ... there are other smaller reissues as well that I enjoy, the Griffin or Konitz/Marsh boxes, various 2CD sets etc):
http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/73336/duke-ellington/the-duke-box-2-7cd-dvd

Playing disc six right now ... disc one's from the early fifties when Hodges was away (but I never believed in the story that the band was in bad shape then, have had the Mosaic box with the Capitol recordings for a long time and always loved them), disc two is the one from Munich 1958, disc 3 is more from Gona Lund in 1963 (there's a recent 2 CD set on Storyville with more from - I think - the same gig, a week-long gig where Duke played for dancers in Europe, seems that was the very first time he did that on this side of the pond), then discs 4-7 are from the "stockpile" (more of this on a ten volume Sagajazz series or various Fantasy releases), mostly late 60s to early 70s ... and that's a period that has really grown on me big time. There's so much good stuff there to discover, including newly found sounds, such as Duke adding the flute to the band's roster ... and the later sidemen (if they're not longstanding members such as Carney, Hodges, Brown, Hamilton, Anderson, Gonsalves, Procope etc) are hardly shabby, even though they're not really well-known in some cases - there are a couple of great new sax section additions in Norris Turney and Harold Ashby, for one. Just in case, that Grona Lund 2 CD set as well as the other recent Storyville release (Rotterdam 1969) are not duplicated in this box.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Thanks for the info.

btw: after spotting those Ursula Rucker discs in your previous post I went and checked out three of her albums and was instantly impressed. I haven't yet heard Supa Sister or Silver Or Lead, but heard Ma'at Mama and loved it, and especially another one called She Said (do you have that one?). Ruckus Soundsysdom was the other on I heard which was also good for the poetry and vocals, but had just standard drum and bass backing, unlike the much more interesting writing and instrumentation for the others (again: particularly on She Said, which among its great variety includes wonderful use of the flexatone). So thanks for the heads-up!

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 26, 2016, 01:19:16 PM
btw: after spotting those Ursula Rucker discs in your previous post I went and checked out three of her albums and was instantly impressed. I haven't yet heard Supa Sister or Silver Or Lead, but heard Ma'at Mama and loved it, and especially another one called She Said (do you have that one?). Ruckus Soundsysdom was the other on I heard which was also good for the poetry and vocals, but had just standard drum and bass backing, unlike the much more interesting writing and instrumentation for the others (again: particularly on She Said, which among its great variety includes wonderful use of the flexatone). So thanks for the heads-up!

I continue to be very impressed by Rucker! I have those three albums, none of the later ones as they're only digital and I often just can't be bothered (I don't do streaming at all, and I couldn't find any place where I could actually buy those later albums). "She Said" seems to be around as a CD-R, too, but then I'd rather buy MP3 ... I should re-install iTunes to buy some other stuff (though again I loathe Apple's own silly file formats, whatever conversion won't do the files any good but with that sh*t they're selling ... really, I'm not a believer of that church, gimme a break!), so I might end up overpaying for some more Rucker in crappy piles of bits.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Charles Kynard  - Afro-Disiac (1970)
Horace Silver - Total Response (1970)

Boogaloo Joe Jones - No Way (1970)
Gene Ammons - The Black Cat (1970)

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar (1970)
Fats Theus - Black Out (1970)

king ubu

A trio of new ones ... first spin in the case of Lindberg and Imbert, the Dresser is one of my favourite 2016 new releases in jazz.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

George Benson - Beyond The Blue Horizon (1971)
Bernard Purdie - Purdie Good (1971)

Elvin Jones - Genesis (1971)
Reuben Wilson - Set Us Free (1971)

Lee Morgan - The Last Session (1971)

king ubu

Eric Revis Trio - Crowded Solitudes (2016, with Kris Davis & Gerald Cleaver)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Dee Sharp

Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown. Desert island jazz, an album I would never want to be without.

Andante

Esbjorn Svensson Trio -
Behind The Yashmak,
Car Crash,
Dodge The Dodo
With Esbjörn Svensson -  Piano,
Dan Berglund - Doublebass,
Magnus Öström - Drums,
From the Daniel Behner Jazz à Juan Festival - Juan-Les-Pins France.
A fantastic trio and a great bass intro on the first number

https://www.youtube.com/v/_1iM4Im4Yqo
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

SimonNZ

Grant Green - Visions (1971)
Elvin Jones - Merry-Go-Round (1971)

Sonny Stitt - Black Vibrations (1971)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Dee Sharp on December 28, 2016, 02:39:05 PM
Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown. Desert island jazz, an album I would never want to be without.

One of the greatest recordings in the history of, well, recordings! Unbelievable!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

King Ubu,

What do you think of that Tyshawn Sorey (Inner Spectrum of Variables)? I have listened to the first CD, and I do think it is interesting, but not really compelling enough for a second listen, at least right now (tons of unheard CDs and LPs around here!). Alloy was a much more satisfying recording IMO.

king ubu

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on December 29, 2016, 05:26:11 PM
King Ubu,

What do you think of that Tyshawn Sorey (Inner Spectrum of Variables)? I have listened to the first CD, and I do think it is interesting, but not really compelling enough for a second listen, at least right now (tons of unheard CDs and LPs around here!). Alloy was a much more satisfying recording IMO.

I like it quite a bit ... I guess it shows quite some Zorn influence (i.e. Masada String Trio), but I have no clue what it is ... jazz, classical, lounge - in the end it doesn't matter. But I'm quite sure that a few years back I wouldn't have much patience with it.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

XB-70 Valkyrie

Interesting. I like it too, but I'm overwhelmed with new CDs and LPs to listen to, including this--Joe Pass Live at Long Beach City College, a Pablo LP.

I bought this LP several months ago but finally got around to listening to it last night. I was blown away by his virtuosity and artistry as usual. A nice program encompassing a diversity of styles and moods in a very good venue. I ran it through my ADC to make a FLAC recording on my PC--first one ever on my new ADC (as opposed to my old CD-recorder, which died after 15 years).

SimonNZ

Stanley Turrentine - Salt Song (1971)
Charles Earland - Soul Story (1971)

Idris Muhammad - Peace And Rhythm (1971)
Rusty Bryant - Fire Eater (1971)

Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (1971)
Johnny "Hammond" Smith - Breakout (1971)

SimonNZ

Astrud Gilberto and Stanley Turrentine - Gilberto With Turrentine (1971)
Boogaloo Joe Jones - What It Is (1971)

Bobbi Humphrey - Flute In (1971)
Kenny Burrell - God Bless The Child (1971)

Leon Spencer - Louisiana Slim (1971)

king ubu

Made my way through this set for the first time in the past days ... I'm ambiguous about Jarrett, but really enjoyed the first two concerts (Modena and Ferrara), found Torino somewhat boring if not rather dreadful but still not without interest, and Genova somewhat lacking in organic development. These come from an interesting and difficult point in time. These are Jarrett's final gigs before his forced break of two years, and he was already feeling the fatigue, as he writes in his liner notes. Also it seems these are the final "long form" concerts he played (i.e. one "piece" per set/concert).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Art Blakey - Child's Dance (1972)
Jackie and Roy - Time and Love (1972)

Joe Farrell - Outback (1972)
Randy Weston - Blue Moses (1972)

Milt Jackson - Sunflower (1972)
Roy Ayers Ubiquity - He's Coming (1972)

Hubert Laws - The Rite Of Spring (1972)
Horace Silver - All (1972)

SimonNZ

Dexter Gordon - Ca'Purange (1972)
Bobby Hutcherson - Natural Illusions (1972)

Dexter Gordon - Tangerine (1972)
Joe Farrell - Moon Germs (1972)

Dexter Gordon - Generation (1972)
Airto Moreira - Free (1972)

Ronnie Foster - The Two-Headed Freap (1972)
Freddie Hubbard - Sky Dive (1972)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Another LP I just unwrapped (dirty for a new, sealed disc!)--John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. Some great stuff here, including a couple I had on my CD The Gentle Side of John Coltrane (one of my desert island discs).

I don't know Hartman's story (will look it up), but it seems he had the voice and the talent to have been a household name...