What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Herbie Nichols Vol.1 (1955)
Reuben Brown - Ice Scape (1997)

Lew Del Gatto - Katewalk (2000)
Tim Warfield - Jazz Is (2001)

SimonNZ

Ravish Momin - Miren: A Longing (2007)
Cuong Vu - It's Mostly Residual (2006)

SimonNZ

John Surman and John Warren - Tales Of The Algonquin (1971)
Mike Westbrook - Metropolis (1971)

Alice Coltrane - World Galaxy (1971)
George Russell - Listen To The Silence (1971)

Paul Winter - Icarus (1971)
Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Phase One (1971)

Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music (1971)
Paul Bley - Improvise (1971)

SimonNZ

Jean-Luc Ponty - Open Strings (1971)
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Natural Black Inventions: Root Strata (1971)

Keith Jarrett - Birth (1971)
Harold Land - A New Shade Of Blue (1971)

Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction (1971)
Don Ellis - Tears Of Joy (1971)

SimonNZ

Conrad Herwig - Heart Of Darkness (1997)
Steve Lacy - Morning Joy: Paris Live (1986)

SimonNZ

Rodney Whitaker - Ballads And Blues: The Brooklyn Session (1998)
Billy Cobham - Spectrum (1973)

SimonNZ

Miles Davis - Miles At The Filmore 1970: Bootleg series Vol.3
Tim Ries - Alternate Side (2000)

SimonNZ

Abdullah Ibrahim - Voice Of Africa (1998)
One For All - Wide Horizons (2002)

Bud Powell - Piano Interpretations By Bud Powell (1956)
Luis Russell - The Chronological 1926-29

James

Action is the only truth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

One For All - Upward And Onward (1999)
Abdullah Ibrahim - Blues For A Hip King (1989)

Bud Powell - At The Golden Circle Vol.1 (1962)
Tom Varner - Jazz French Horn (1985)

Cecil Taylor - The Eighth (1981)

Bogey

As the lp notes describe, "One gets the sensation at times of weightlessness painted ingeniously through sound, suspended as it were in the upper regions of space." I liken it more to Juan Esquivel remixing a Jackie Gleason album.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Spineur

king ubu

Simon, hope you enjoy those Ibrahim discs as much as I do! (Wait, half as much would already be more than cool ;D )
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

Have been revisiting the entire catalogue of the great, Michigan-based organ group Organissimo, as well as their organist Jim Alfredson's tribute to Big John Patton - the "B3tles" is just out and pretty darn good (and that's coming from someone usually not fond of jazzers doing Beatles covers):

The debut "This Is the Place" is from 2003, on a few cuts Ran Blake guests on tenor. The second album, "This Is the Place" (2005), again presents original line-up with Alfredson (org, keys), Joe Gloss (g) and Randy Marsh (d), with guest appearances by Johnny Gist (ts) and Bill Vits (perc), while the third, "Groovadelphia" (2008), has just the core trio.

The group's fourth album was a live one, "Alive & Kickin'" (2009), presenting great versions of tunes from the first three albums, including a monster 18 minute re-take of "Pumpkin Pie" from the debut album. "Dedicated" (2013) has Ralph Tope on guitar and again a few cuts with Bill Vits on percussion.

The brand new"B3tles" (2017) presents Lawrence Barris on guitar and guest spots by Vits and on one track Mike List on tabla. In the same year "Dedicated" was released, Alfredson also produced his mighty good "Tribute to Big John Patton", with Tope on guitar, Randy Gelispie on drums and Jim Cooper (vibes - on three tracks), Dwight Adams (trumpet) and Mark Kieme (tenor) (both together on three other tracks). For backers (including yours truly), a full bonus album with more music from the sessions was made available.

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on March 25, 2017, 06:15:06 AM
Simon, hope you enjoy those Ibrahim discs as much as I do! (Wait, half as much would already be more than cool ;D )

Enjoying them very much, thanks! Plus I'd been wanting for a long time to get a clearer sense of his discography, being previously familiar with only a few random discs, so its great to be getting a little closer to that.

now:

Mark Turner - Yam Yam (1995)
Dexter Gordon - Manhattan Symphonie (1978)

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 25, 2017, 02:41:52 PM
Enjoying them very much, thanks! Plus I'd been wanting for a long time to get a clearer sense of his discography, being previously familiar with only a few random discs, so its great to be getting a little closer to that.

Cool!

I followed Turner and his generation some when I started discovering jazz in my early teens in the early nineties, but I don't know that disc (remember its title though, as it was on one of my messy, purely memory-based wantlists back then) ... still have a few Joshua Redman discs (and Turner's "Ballads", and some Kurt Rosenwinkel), but this ultimately didn't prove to be my thing quite ... Brad Mehldau I still enjoy though, his recent 4-CD-Box is wonderful indeed! The Dexter is wonderful though, no question about that!

Playing music by Buck Hill (1927-2017), a great player that didn't really get to be known all that much ... he made guest appearances on a few albums of fellow D.C. artists Shirley Horn and had a run of his own albums on Steeplechase and Muse and elsewhere fairly late in his long life. These two were cut at North Sea Jazz 1981 with Reuben Brown (p), Wilbur Little (b) and Billy Hart (d):

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!