What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on April 07, 2017, 07:16:05 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!
The one Julie London album you need! It's gorgeous!

Quote from: Bogey on April 08, 2017, 04:02:31 AM
I do not have any Blakey from the '60's, I believe.  Curious if he changed his sound or approach later in his career?
Well, up to the end of his Blue Note stay in the mid-sixties, he continued to make some of his very best albums ("Free for All", "Buhaina's Delight", "Mosaic", "Indestructible", "The Freedom Rider", etc.). "Golden Boy" (Colpix, 1963; later part of the Capitol/EMI family of jazz labels and thus reissued in the same series as his Blue Note albums) is a bit of a departure as it comes with an enlarged band (former Blakey-ite Lee Morgan is added on second trumpet, Julius Watkins, Bill Barber, James Spaulding and Charles Davis are added, too - that makes for 11 instead of the then regular 6 pieces). Later in the sixties, Blakey switched to Limelight/EmArcy, who kinda produced more narrowly and didn't let the music flow as much as Blue Note did, alas ... "'S Make It" has John Gilmore on tenor, but he's not let lose, alas, "Soul Finger" has one totally gorgeous Lucky Thompson track (though they failed to mention LT on the cover!!!), "Buttercorn Lady" is pretty cool again though, with unsung Frank Mitchell on tenor and Keef "No End" Jarrett on piano ... in 1968, Blakey led another very nice band with Bill Hardman (he was with the 1957 Messengers), Julian Priester and the amazing Billy Harper in the frontline, plus Ronnie Mathews on piano and Lawrence Evans on bass (don't know Evans elsewhere), "Live at Slug's" and "Moanin'" are the two albums that are out by this band (on Everest and LRC, respectively). In the early seventies, Blakey incorporated some electric instruments for a short moment - that can be heard  on two not entirely succesful Fantasy discs "Child's Dance" and "Mission Eternal" (they contain three LPs: "Child's Dance", "Anthenagin", "Buhaina", featuring Woody Shaw, Manny Boyd, George Cables, Stanley Clarke, Cedar Walton and others). After that, Blakey returned to his well-tested hard bop formula, featuring younger players again (Bobby Watson, Billy Pierce, Terence Blanchard, Javon Jackson etc. etc. - for those that love Criss Cross, that should be interesting, but for me it's more like: have each and all Blakey records from 1954 to 1968 before you buy any later ones ... those early bands with Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Bobby Timmons, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis Fuller, Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton etc. were hot, and amongst the discs there's hardly a clunker, not even in the output of the so-called "second edition" from 1956/57 that is less universally loved).

Thread duty:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - Live At The Village Vanguard (1999), disc six
Wynton Marsalis - In This House, On This Morning (1994)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Bogey on April 08, 2017, 04:03:05 AM
George Shearing is great anytime anywhere in my book, but when he has the fabulous Armando Peraza along for the session on the bongos and congas then the lp goes directly to the top shelf.

mmmmmmmmm, that is a nice cover!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

Here's another interesting one heard on The Jazz Oasis--KCSM, The Bay Area's Jazz Station--kcsm.org! (I'm a member. Are you?)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Tomasz Stanko

XB-70 Valkyrie

What do you think? I tried to get into that CD, but just couldn't. His sound is similar to Enrico Rava, but the music is so much less interesting IMO.

I've also been listening to a fair amount of Mathias Eick lately

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on April 08, 2017, 09:15:06 PM
What do you think? I tried to get into that CD, but just couldn't. His sound is similar to Enrico Rava, but the music is so much less interesting IMO.

I've also been listening to a fair amount of Mathias Eick lately

Interesting. I always liked both Rava and Stanko.......

Bogey

Some Sunday afternoon jazz provided by Lalo. hard to beat.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - Blood On The Fields (1997)

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - Big Train (1999)
Miles Davis - Miles in Tokyo (rec.1964 rel.1969)

Miles Davis - The Complete Concert: My Funny Valentine and Four And More (1964)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 10, 2017, 10:23:40 PM

Wynton Marsalis - Big Train (1999)
Miles Davis - Miles in Tokyo (rec.1964 rel.1969)

Miles Davis - The Complete Concert: My Funny Valentine and Four And More (1964)

I like In Tokyo. So What is so thrillful!  Sam Rivers sounds great. No idea why the boss was not happy about him.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Another great one from KCSM (www.kcsm.org ), a radio station you should be listening to and supporting!!! Ron Carter Nonet.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on April 11, 2017, 09:36:17 PM
Another great one from KCSM (www.kcsm.org ), a radio station you should be listening to and supporting!!! Ron Carter Nonet.

He was/is a great bassist for classical music, but none of the orchestras hired him because he was black. That's how he unenthusiastically began his career with Miles.

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - The Marciac Suite (1999)

Bogey

Took me a while to warm to the Gil Evans' collaboration stuff, but I am easily in now.  This one I can put on a loop and let it play three or four hours.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - The Magic Hour (2004)

Turner

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 12, 2017, 11:46:42 PM

Wynton Marsalis - The Magic Hour (2004)

Nice & interesting cover art too.

aligreto

Quote from: Bogey on April 12, 2017, 08:00:01 PM

Took me a while to warm to the Gil Evans' collaboration stuff, but I am easily in now.  This one I can put on a loop and let it play three or four hours.

There is very little music or music making that I totally dislike but I have to be honest and say that I just cannot get past that Concierto de Aranjuez. I have tried but it just will not happen.

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Miles Davis - Miles In Berlin (1964)
Max Roach - We Insist (1960)

Cecil Taylor - Dark To Themselves (1976)