What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Ted Greene: Solo Guitar.

[asin]B0007CNXQ4[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Sonny Stitt - Plays Arrangements from the Pen of Quincy Jones (1955)
Harry Carney - With Strings (1954)

Carmen McRae - Carmen For Cool Ones (1957)

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 22, 2017, 09:58:53 PM

Sonny Stitt - Plays Arrangements from the Pen of Quincy Jones (1955)

^^
That looks particularly interesting and so I've ordered it. But if I find it's something I don't like it can take the well trodden path to the charity shop, where I'll attach a note: 'Courtesy of Simon.' ;D

Jimmy Raney: 'A'

[asin]B000FIHBYU[/asin]

I'm still listening to guitar players (mostly 1950s) and one of my favourites is Jimmy Raney.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, Thielemans, NHØP : Live at the North Sea Jazz Festival.

[asin]B00000GC1W[/asin]

Joe Pass: At The Montreux Jazz Festival 1975.

[asin]B000063V41[/asin]

SimonNZ

Quote from: NikF on May 23, 2017, 07:33:13 AM
^^
That looks particularly interesting and so I've ordered it. But if I find it's something I don't like it can take the well trodden path to the charity shop, where I'll attach a note: 'Courtesy of Simon.' ;D

I'm still listening to guitar players (mostly 1950s) and one of my favourites is Jimmy Raney.

I enjoyed that one, hope you do too!

now:

Johnny Griffin - Grab This (1962)

edit: I don't think I've encountered organist Paul Bryant before, but this has made me want to seek out more from him

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 24, 2017, 12:52:28 AM
I enjoyed that one, hope you do too!

Thanks. I'm sure I will. About one year ago I bought another CD you had listened to - Sarah Vaughan: At Mister Kelly's - and it turned out to be pretty cool. It's a small risk anyway and a pleasure when it turns out to be a good choice. :)

And now I continue with my foray into the playing of (approximately) mid-1950s to mid 1960s guitarists.

Herb Ellis: Ellis In Wonderland.

[asin]B000CIXCD2[/asin]

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 24, 2017, 12:52:28 AM

Johnny Griffin - Grab This (1962)

edit: I don't think I've encountered organist Paul Bryant before, but this has made me want to seek out more from him

He is on two albums co-led with saxophonist Curtis Amy. They were part of the Curtis Amy Mosaic Select 3CD box that has been OOP for a while. Not sure they can be found elsewhere. The glorious Amy album though is "Katanga!" (also in that set), that's truly one for the desert island!

The ones with Bryant are fine but not all that spectacular - which is, I guess, how I'd describe Griff's "Grab This", too.

Some  Amy is out on Freshsound, but not the ones I mentioned:
http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/curtis-amy-albums/5825-groovin-blue-way-down-tippin-on-through-3-lps-on-2-cds.html
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

NikF

Barney Kessel: Kessel Plays Standards.

[asin]B000000YDE[/asin]

SimonNZ

Kenny Clarke ‎– Telefunken Blues (1955)

NikF

Art Farmer Quartet featuring Jim Hall: Interaction.

[asin]B00DD0AGQC[/asin]

Nothing too far out or demanding here, but therein lies the charm.

SimonNZ

Vijay Iyer - Tirtha (2011)
Mario Pavone - Street Songs (2014)

NikF

The Jimmy Giuffre 3: Trav'lin' Light.

[asin]B00DD0AGJ4[/asin]

Again, with Jim Hall.

SimonNZ

Phineas Newborn Jr. - Here Is Phineas (1956)
Chet Baker - In Europe (1955)

Henk

Ahmad Jamal - It's Magic

I'm back! :)

Jamal favoured the phrase American Classical Music instead of the word jazz. I feel this strongly these days. Miles Davis also didn't like the word jazz.

Wonderful interview with Jamal in Downbeat March 2010.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

Guus Janssen takes over the lead of this Dutch ensemble after Mengelberg's dementia and death.

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

king ubu

Quote from: Henk on May 27, 2017, 01:25:39 AM
Jamal favoured the phrase American Classical Music instead of the word jazz. I feel this strongly these days. Miles Davis also didn't like the word jazz.

Wlcome back ... lots of respect for Jamal, and lots of love for his early work! However, that "classical" thing is another term that belittles the achievement of those that created the music most commonly referred to as jazz. That music needs no yardstick to be measured against, it's great on its own terms, and quite unique.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Henk

Quote from: king ubu on May 27, 2017, 08:14:09 AM
Wlcome back ... lots of respect for Jamal, and lots of love for his early work! However, that "classical" thing is another term that belittles the achievement of those that created the music most commonly referred to as jazz. That music needs no yardstick to be measured against, it's great on its own terms, and quite unique.

True. Jazz doesn't age. Miles Davis also already said jazz is also classical. Pop music is just great (or can be) for the time when it is released.

NikF

Quote from: king ubu on May 27, 2017, 08:14:09 AM

Yeah, it is what it is - and therein lies the strength and the beauty.

In other news -

Herb Ellis and Stuff Smith: Together!

[asin]B000005YOS[/asin]

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Henk on May 27, 2017, 01:25:39 AM
Ahmad Jamal - It's Magic

I'm back! :)

Yes, this is late (emphasis on late, not to be confused with early) Jamal at his very finest, the finest of his career.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach