What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Henk

Just read a (short and) nice interview with him in Downbeat about his music. So, that was the cause to play this. It's from 2009.

NikF

Chet Baker: I Get Chet.

[asin]B00KYVRX6E[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Gerry Mulligan Quartet: At Storyville.

[asin]B000005HG1[/asin]

Perhaps something of a mixed affair, but it's 1950s era Mulligan and so I'm happy to listen.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Henk

NikF

Lou Mecca, Bill De Arango, Chuck Wayne: 3 Swinging Guitar Sessions.

[asin]B011VX0J64[/asin]

For the Chuck Wayne, although I enjoy it all.

kishnevi

Double header. New release followed by classic Dixieland

Only real problem with the Cohen is the fairly skimpy playing time, less than 40 minutes.

SimonNZ

Keely Smith - I Wish You Love (1958)

NikF

Jimmy Raney: In Three Attitudes.

[asin]B004UN6HHS[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: aligreto on June 02, 2017, 07:55:58 AM
Wonderful  8)

They did turn When the Saints Come Marching In into something like a Broadway production number, but I suppose that comes with the territory. But that was the only missable track .

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

NikF

^^
Good stuff.
But what are your own thoughts after the initial listen?

Meanwhile, back in my small world -

Julie London: Around Midnight.

[asin]B00NJ1MSWU[/asin]

George

Quote from: NikF on June 02, 2017, 04:35:40 PM
^^
Good stuff.
But what are your own thoughts after the initial listen?

Classy, fun stuff. I've yet to hear an Ellington tune I didn't like.

NikF

Quote from: George on June 02, 2017, 05:40:44 PM
Classy, fun stuff. I've yet to hear an Ellington tune I didn't like.

Glad to hear it. :)
Yeah, there's not much Ellington I don't enjoy. Maybe the third sacred concert - don't know if you've heard that - although his bands are always so good they can make just about anything a worthwhile listen.

SimonNZ

Quincy Jones - The Lost Man soundtrack (1969)
John Lindberg - Winter Birds (2004)

SimonNZ

Bud Shank - Jazz At Cal-Tech (1956)
Wynton Marsalis - He And She (2009)

NikF

Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby.

[asin]B003YOMN68[/asin]

Ol' Mirror Image has this posted in another thread and right now in the early morning is as fine a time as any to make a comfortable revisit.

NikF

Sarah Vaughan: Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown.

[asin]B0000046NB[/asin]

After a very late breakfast I'm lazily listening to the this cool collaboration.

George

Quote from: NikF on June 03, 2017, 08:09:02 PM
Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby.

[asin]B003YOMN68[/asin]

Ol' Mirror Image has this posted in another thread and right now in the early morning is as fine a time as any to make a comfortable revisit.

One of my favorite Jazz albums!