What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Lambert, Hendricks and Ross - High Flying (1961)
Rich Perry and Harold Danko - Canções do Brasil (1999)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Charlie Haden, Pat Metheny: Beyond The Missouri Sky. Very beautiful!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

HIPster

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Kinsmen

[asin]B001BRZ588[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Count Basie and the Alan Copeland Singers - Basie Swingin' Voices Singin' (1966)
Billy Harper - Live on Tour in the Far East Vol. 2 (1991)

SimonNZ

The Count Basie Trio - For The First Time (1974)
Billy Harper - Somalia (1995)

HIPster

Robert Dick and the Soldier String Quartet - Jazz Standards on Mars

[asin]B000005CD5[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Count Basie - Basie Big Band (1975)
Billy Harper - Destiny Is Yours (1990)

king ubu

Who's that Count Harper anyway?  ;D

Seriously, lots of love for both of them!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on June 26, 2017, 06:53:41 AM
Who's that Count Harper anyway?  ;D

Seriously, lots of love for both of them!

Yeah: I'm loving Billy Harper generally (having previously known only the Black Saint album), but that Somalia disc was a real knockout.

I've become a bit intrigued by the "Indian Summer" last ten yeas of Basie, which I knew not at all. Are you familiar with those or have any preferences?

and so, now;

Count Basie - Kansas City 6 (1981)
Billy Harper - The Awakening (1979)

^a little odd seeing the Basie later than the Harper

NikF

George Shearing Quintet: On The Sunny Side Of The Strip

[asin]B000001P2L[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 26, 2017, 03:27:52 PM
I've become a bit intrigued by the "Indian Summer" last ten yeas of Basie, which I knew not at all. Are you familiar with those or have any preferences?

Hm, not too easy a question ... generally not my favourite period. That would be the OT band's first years with Lester Young (one of my biggest musical heroes of all times), 1936-40 roughly, though the early/mid forties stuff is still great!), then I love early NT with Gus Johnson and "Lockjaw", Lady Q, Ernie Wilkins etc. (Dance Sessions), NT 1956-1962 with flashy Sonny Payne as well (and Thad Jones, Benny Powell, Frank Foster ...) ... in the sixties, there are still some great albums ("Basie Plays Bond" with some mean "Lockjaw"!), but also some rather lesser albums ... as for the last decade, I guess I don't really like the arrangements as much as the ones by Jones, Wilkins, Hefti, Foster et al. Much of these late albums sound somewhat more run of the mill, I'm not a huge Sammy Nestico fan, I guess ... but the level of the music is mostly very consistent, and some of the jam albums are wonderful!

From that in-between period, I have just recently bought the two MPS albums - they're quite alright, but definitely no essentials. One I really like (it IS special in Basie's entire output) is "Afrique" (with Oliver Nelson, 1971).

Some late favourites include:
- For the First Time (trio, there was a follow-up)
- Satch and Josh (with Oscar Peterson ... five albums all together, good stuff if you can deal with OP, which I learned to)
- I Told You So (arr. Bill Holman - now there's some really good music for once!)
- Get Together (maybe my favourite of the many jam albums - with Budd Johnson, even "Lockjaw" has to be afraid of having his ass kicked and his heart torn out, so not coasting there!)
- Mostly Blues ... and Some Others (this one's special as you get the rare chance to the amazing "Snooky" Young in a small group setting, soloing ... he was one of the finest lead trumpet players and with Basie for many years)

For more big band favourites and the ones with Ella, I would have to relisten to them ... but the Verve 1964 Ella & Basie is great, of course, no doubt about that!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

I really do enjoy For the First Time and For the Second Time, the trio albums with Ray Brown and Louis Bellson. Good straight-ahead no-nonsense fun trio jams with all three performers on equal footing (doesn't hurt that Brown was such a great). I would also like exploring this period a bit more...

NikF

The George Shearing Trio: Jazz Moments.

[asin]B000005GZK[/asin]

Early 1960s and part of a trio with Israel Crosby and Vernel Fournier, thus allowing Shearing to stretch out a little.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Played this again earlier tonight, hearing the news that Geri Allen had fallen severely ill:

Not all of her stuff has proven accessible to me, but this one's been loved in this house ever since the first listen.

Also read up Ethan Iverson's recent tribute written for her 60th birthday:
https://ethaniverson.com/the-breakthrough-of-geri-allen/
This made me want to check out more right away ... will have to do so.

Even more so, as the initial sad news has come to its very sad and very final conclusion already:
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/06/27/534409838/geri-allen-pianist-composer-and-educator-dies-at-60

r.i.p. Geri Allen
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Thanks for the recommendations KU and Brian. I agree about the For The First Time trio album - that one was a delight when I played it a few days ago.

now:

Count Basie - I Told You So (1976)
Billy Harper - Soran Bushi, B.H. (1978)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just heard this Geri Allen on KCSM.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

Pony Poindexter and Rene Thomas Quintet: At The Blue Note Paris 1964.

[asin]B000TYCX5C[/asin]

The sound quality of this is worse than I remembered, but I think it's just about worth the compromise.

king ubu

Playing a couple of trio albums by/with the late, great Geri Allen:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Billy Harper - Trying To Make Heaven My Home (1979)

Ghost Sonata

Outjangoing Jango, even (love these two disks) :  (Didja' get it? Les doigts de l'homme?)

[asin] B004XIQJF0[/asin]

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.