What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Jaki Byard - With Strings (1968)
Duke Ellington - My People (1963)

Charles Mingus - Mingus In Europe Vol.2 (rec.1964)

SimonNZ

Pat Metheny - First Circle (1984)
Mike DiRubbo - Keep Steppin (2001)

Duke Ellington (featuring Alice Babs) - Serenade To Sweden (1963)
Ralph Towner - City Of Eyes (1989)

Ornette Coleman - This Is Our Music (1961)
Jeanne Lee - Conspiracy (1975)

NikF

Jimmy Giuffre: The Jimmy Giuffre 3

[asin]B000002JMG[/asin]

As ever,, a pleasure to listen to Jim Hall.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Kontrapunctus

Wonderful playing and sound. Available only as a hi-res download from HDTT. Mine is 24bit/96k.

SimonNZ

Alek Hidell

[asin]B000005BY2[/asin]

I may revisit all the LJCO recordings I have over the next few days.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

king ubu

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 17, 2017, 05:07:06 PM
[asin]B000005BY2[/asin]

I may revisit all the LJCO recordings I have over the next few days.

About time you finally play some Barry Guy!  :laugh:

Seriously, what a great musician he is! I was in London for the first half of the Intakt festival in April and opening night (Easter Sunday) was Guy in four settings: duo with Maya Homburger (which turned into a trio with Lucas Niggli added, who also did a duo with Homburger, as well as one with Guy, while Homburger was re-tuning her violin to play some Biber), then the Howard Riley Trio (he is suffering from Parkinson's ... but once he started playing, he was doing great indeed) with Guy and Niggli, and after a break two more line-ups: Jürg Wickihalder Trio Beyond (with Guy and Niggli), and finally the duo of Guy and Evan Parker. A few weeks later, they did a follow up in Zurich and Parker was there both nights (I missed his duo with a local guitarist, would have loved to hear it but couldn't make it that night), again playing a great - but very different - duo with Guy. Basically, whenever I have heard Guy live, it was spectacular!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Gordon Beck - Experiments With Pops (1967)

NikF

Oscar Pettiford: The Manhattan Jazz Septet.

[asin]B000HIVPK4[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Alek Hidell

Quote from: king ubu on July 17, 2017, 11:11:14 PM
About time you finally play some Barry Guy!  :laugh:

Seriously, what a great musician he is! I was in London for the first half of the Intakt festival in April and opening night (Easter Sunday) was Guy in four settings: duo with Maya Homburger (which turned into a trio with Lucas Niggli added, who also did a duo with Homburger, as well as one with Guy, while Homburger was re-tuning her violin to play some Biber), then the Howard Riley Trio (he is suffering from Parkinson's ... but once he started playing, he was doing great indeed) with Guy and Niggli, and after a break two more line-ups: Jürg Wickihalder Trio Beyond (with Guy and Niggli), and finally the duo of Guy and Evan Parker. A few weeks later, they did a follow up in Zurich and Parker was there both nights (I missed his duo with a local guitarist, would have loved to hear it but couldn't make it that night), again playing a great - but very different - duo with Guy. Basically, whenever I have heard Guy live, it was spectacular!

:D

I am burning with envy over the shows you get to see, ubu roi ... I imagine none of those people will be coming to Oklahoma anytime soon.  ::) :)

TD:
[asin]B001ANEBUQ[/asin]
I attended a funeral today, so my listening was curtailed - but I did start this one.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Jimmy Heath - You Or Me (1995)
Anthony Braxton - Seven Compositions (Trio) 1989

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 19, 2017, 02:43:09 AM

Anthony Braxton - Seven Compositions (Trio) 1989

Love that one. Tony Oxley is one of my favorite drummers.

As for myself:
[asin]B0000252RV[/asin]

and
[asin]B000002I4K[/asin]

SimonNZ

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 19, 2017, 06:17:59 PM
Love that one. Tony Oxley is one of my favorite drummers.

Yeah,  I've noticed Tony Oxley turning up on a number of discs I've liked but still don't have a good sense of his discography. Which are your favorites?

now:

Frank Kimbrough - Noumena (2000)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 20, 2017, 02:48:51 AM
Yeah,  I've noticed Tony Oxley turning up on a number of discs I've liked but still don't have a good sense of his discography. Which are your favorites?

Hm, let's see ...

Cecil Taylor & Tony Oxley, Leaf Palm Hand
Tomasz Stańko, Leosia (as well as Bosonossa and Other Ballads by the same quartet)
Derek Bailey & Tony Oxley, Soho Suites
Tony Oxley Quintet, The Baptised Traveller (OOP and often hard to get at decent prices, unfortunately)
Joseph Holbrooke Trio, The Moat Recordings
Evan Parker / Cecil Taylor / Barry Guy / Tony Oxley, Nailed
John Surman, Adventure Playground
Bill Dixon, Vade Mecum (Vols. I & II)
John McLaughlin, Extrapolation

I see he also appeared on those Gordon Beck albums you recently listed - I haven't heard those.

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 20, 2017, 02:48:51 AM

Frank Kimbrough - Noumena (2000)
That's a good 'un, too.  :)

NikF

Lage Lund: Idlewild.

[asin]B00QNUF1NC[/asin]

king ubu

from the recent Japanese Mainstream reissue series ... three orders (from cdjapan - easily recommended site!) in so far, at least two or three more to follow ... and one more from the series after that:

and now, to end the day, one of Stan Getz' glorious late efforts:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Three more from the recent reissues of Mainstream records ... the Williams is a bit smooth, but still pretty funky (large band incl. horns, organ, el-piano, guitars, rhythm & strings). Jeffrey was Monk's last tenor player (and Thelonious Jr. is on drums here, in a quartet also comprising Jack Wilkins on guitar and Richard Davis on bass), the Land is of course more than solid, what with Bobby Hutcherson at his side (and Bill Henderson-p/elp, Buster Williams-b, Billy Hart-d, Mtume-perc)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Perfect timing ... just as the last of the above Mainstream discs finished, the postman was here to deliver the next parcel from Japan with four more (plus a Steeplechase reissue).

The Sonny Red one is hot! Maybe my favorite of his, at least after this initial listen. The others included in the parcel are the Mainstream album by Gloria Coleman, Hadley Caliman's self-titled effort (the Ace reissue looking like the above Harold Land is botched bigtime, combining side one of "Hadley Caliman" with one side of "Iapetus" ... and no, they are not going to fix it), and "Siku Ya Bibi" by Charles McPherson. The Steeplechase in the parcel is of course the Walter Davis Jr. and is now playing ... starts of in a terrific way for sure! The Land in the middle was acquired last year as an Ace reissue. That's a pretty nice label all things considered, and they have a few more Mainstream albums in their catalogue - I managed to buy the Blue Mitchell twice by mistake, not thinking when putting in that order - not going to fall into that trap with "Choma", which is a great one, too.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Yesterday caught the girlfriend whistling "Fables of Faubus"  8) 8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 21, 2017, 10:35:01 AM
Yesterday caught the girlfriend whistling "Fables of Faubus"  8) 8)
Cherish that woman  8)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot