What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 11, 2017, 06:23:22 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well.

now:

Yusef Lateef ‎– Nocturnes (1989)
Eddie Lockjaw Davis - The Midnight Show (1961)

Thanks Simon!

What's that Lateef? Don't know much of his post-Atlantic work yet, and not sure how much of it is interesting really (most of it is on his own label and was always rather difficult to get).

Re Jaws/Griff, on the flight home (eight hours from Delhi to Zurich), I played their Prestige/Riverside/Jazzland sessions complete, in chronological order (except I stopped when the celesta on the last album, "Pisces", started kicking in, wasn't in the mood for that).

Last night - another new arrival from Japan:

Sweet stuff!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on November 11, 2017, 11:21:02 PM

What's that Lateef? Don't know much of his post-Atlantic work yet, and not sure how much of it is interesting really (most of it is on his own label and was always rather difficult to get).

The Lateef Nocturnes was quite unusual and interesting - brooding soundscapes you might usually associate with better modern noir-ish films. Unlike anything i've heard from him before, though I've still heard less than half of his discography.

now:

Teddy Charles - Vibe-Rant (1961)

James

Action is the only truth

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 12, 2017, 07:40:05 PM
The Lateef Nocturnes was quite unusual and interesting - brooding soundscapes you might usually associate with better modern noir-ish films. Unlike anything i've heard from him before, though I've still heard less than half of his discography.

Thanks ... not sure that is for me then. Got some unplayed yet late 'teef around I ought to check out.

A recommended one is "Ballads", and there are also the "Tenors" albums of course ... oh, and the double album with the Belmondo brothers is magnificent!

Guess I'm still in market for more, he is one of my very favourites for sure ... but he seems to have made some new-agey stuff in the late seventies and eighties and I guess I better steer clear of that.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

SimonNZ

A.K.Salim - Flute Suite (1957)
Archie Shepp and Joachim Kuhn - Wo!man (2011)

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - Don't Be Afraid: The Music Of Charles Mingus (2006)
Bill Barron - Modern Windows (1961)

San Antone

Classic Anita O'Day record with arrangements by Gary McFarland.

king ubu

brand new and in today from Ayler Records - really like what Alexandra Grimal does (her older brother David, btw, may be known to the classical heads here  ;) )
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Shorter's early Blue Note albums are perennial favorites of mine.  I go back to them often, today it is this one. 

king ubu

Love Martial Solal ... 90 years and from what I know still going strong. This encounter was recorded in August 2016, first spin, and first impression is mighty good.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Listening to Wayne Shorter reminded me of Dexter Gordon, whom Shorter was obviously influenced by, soundwise.  The BN album Ballads - there's no word to describe it other than "great".

SimonNZ

^Take note, though, that Ballads is a compilation album - have you heard the albums those tracks originally appear on?

now:

Masada - Live In Sevilla (2000)

James

Action is the only truth

San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 15, 2017, 09:42:13 PM
^Take note, though, that Ballads is a compilation album - have you heard the albums those tracks originally appear on?

Of course.   ::)

Sorry, that must have come off as harsh.   But I have a long involvement, over nearly fifty years, with jazz both as a listener and professional musician, having performed with many of the guys you know from their recordings.  So, yes, I have heard all of the basic literature and know the music.   

San Antone

king ubu

Quote from: San Antonio on November 16, 2017, 02:46:29 AM
Good one.  This one and Ballads were a nice time out before Coltrane commenced his journey.

Recommenced his journey  :)

Of the three "mellow" (others say: commercial) ones, I like the one with Coltrane best. But Coltrane realky hasn't made a bad album.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on November 16, 2017, 04:18:51 AM
Of the three "mellow" (others say: commercial) ones, I like the one with Coltrane best.

I don't understand you here, did you mean to say Hartman, or someone else?  What is the third mellow recording you are thinking of?

king ubu

Quote from: San Antonio on November 16, 2017, 04:23:23 AM
I don't understand you here, did you mean to say Hartman, or someone else?  What is the third mellow recording you are thinking of?
Ooops, sorry, put "Ellington" for "Coltrane"  :)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!