What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Cedar Walton - Reliving The Moment (1978)
Max Roach - Easy Winners (1984)

Alek Hidell

Just finished this 'un:

Really outstanding. My first encounter with Smith and I'm keen to hear more. (I have two or three of Tim Berne's Snakeoil releases, on which Smith is the drummer, but I have yet to hear any of them.)

Previously:

Second spin for this one, as the first was under less-than-ideal audio circumstances. It's really good, too!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

San Antone

Complete Jack Johnson Sessions : Disc 1

Simply great

Alek Hidell

And moving on to:

If you can't read the teeny print there, it's Common Objects, Whitewashed with Lines. The group is John Butcher, saxophones; Angharad Davies, violin; Rhodri Davies, harps; and Lee Patterson, amplified devices and processes.

It's one of those soundscapes/textures records, sort of like AMM but "noisier," certainly not for the casual or conservative jazz fan. Since I'm neither of those, I'm really liking it. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

king ubu

Mark Turner on ECM, the first three I was playing yesterday ... gearing up for the FLY concert Monday night. Still missing the first one by the Billy Hart quartet (which was actually the Iverson/Turner quartet), as well as their debut on Highnote or FLY's debut on Savoy ... but these five are a splendid bunch. The Rava is very moody, I love it more than the others for that, I guess, but then what FLY is doing on those two is quite exciting and I hope it will work in a live setting, too ... now moving on with these two:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Jerri Winters - Winters Again (1962)

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2018, 01:09:46 AM

Mark Turner on ECM, the first three I was playing yesterday ... gearing up for the FLY concert Monday night. Still missing the first one by the Billy Hart quartet (which was actually the Iverson/Turner quartet), as well as their debut on Highnote or FLY's debut on Savoy ... but these five are a splendid bunch. The Rava is very moody, I love it more than the others for that, I guess, but then what FLY is doing on those two is quite exciting and I hope it will work in a live setting, too ... now moving on with these two:

Mark Turner and FLY are a really good band that does some very interesting improvised music.  However, the style of improvisation doesn't represent swinging jazz.  Their approach almost approaches a classical style, but it is very worthwhile nonetheless.  I haven't heard the Billy Hart record but would suspect it would be more swinging.

TD

The Classic Ornette Coleman Quartet : Atlantic Sessions

Now, this is a band that could swing!

Spineur

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2018, 01:09:46 AM

Mark Turner on ECM, the first three I was playing yesterday ... gearing up for the FLY concert Monday night. Still missing the first one by the Billy Hart quartet (which was actually the Iverson/Turner quartet), as well as their debut on Highnote or FLY's debut on Savoy ... but these five are a splendid bunch. The Rava is very moody, I love it more than the others for that, I guess, but then what FLY is doing on those two is quite exciting and I hope it will work in a live setting, too ...
I love Mark Turner.  Some complain he is too intellectual and lack spontaneity.  His music really speaks to me and that is all what matters.  I only have FLY and lathe of heaven.  I think I should explore some of his other albums.

king ubu

To my ears, they (FLY, that is) build - amongst other things - on Miles Davis' second quintet: that mixture of spontaneity and openness with meticulously structured playing ... Turner is extremely lyrical most of the time, and that harks back to Wayne Shorter (I think some aspects of his sound do so, too - although Warne Marsh is the big idol I presume). Ballard may be part of the not-swinging thing, too - he's in some ways more modern, compared to the albums with Motian (that Rava disc is great!) and Hart (to me the weakest of the five, but they're all good), the ones with Ballard and Gilmore are different in the punch, the punctuations, the rhythms in general. Gilmore has all those odd breaks and stuff, the street-savviness, the hip hop stuff, but also the punchy roll of older drummers - I really love his playing ... Ballard is maybe more on the rock than the funk/r&B side of things, but he too is very nuanced and at the same time has plenty of punch. Not saying who is better (Motian is a favourite though - probably mostly non-swinging, too? - and a towering figure in my book), but I'm of the more recent vintage there myself and I guess that does influence how we perceive and listen.

I will probably check out the earlier to albums by the Hart (Iverson/Turner) quartet (the first one was on HighNote), as well as FLY's first one (on Savoy), eventually.

And I'd love to hear more of Turner's own stuff ... he and Cohen are a great match, and the piano-less band opens up new possibilities, too. The roles are probably more conventional there than with FLY, Ben Street holding down the bottom beautifully, and Gilmore making sure you won't be bored for a second, but still it's more "soloists with accompaniment" than what FLY do. I love both, I guess, so it's win-win  ;D
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: San Antone on January 14, 2018, 01:19:23 PM
The Classic Ornette Coleman Quartet : Atlantic Sessions

Disc 2

I had forgotten just how great Charlie Haden's tone and feel were with this band. He and Ed Blackwell were a huge part of why this band really did it.

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Red Norvo - Town Hall Concert (1945)
Dizzy Gillespie - Horn Of Plenty (1952)

San Antone

It's been a long time since I dipped into this set, but I needed some bebop.

Disc 5 | half the disc is billed as the Miles Davis All Stars with Parker playing tenor, the other half has the Charlie Parker All Stars and Parker is back on alto.

SimonNZ

Thelonious Monk - Live At The Jazz Workshop (1964)

Alek Hidell

A straight-ahead session by Murray, and a very good one it is:

And

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 16, 2018, 03:22:44 PM

Thelonious Monk - Live At The Jazz Workshop (1964)

Quote from: Alek Hidell on January 16, 2018, 06:22:43 PM

Two great recordings.

I listened to Belonging not that long ago, but I haven't heard the Monk for a while - so, following your lead I am listening to it now.   8)

San Antone