What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

v/a - Norman Granz' Jam Session 5 (1953

Alek Hidell

Back to CT:

Respectively, a sextet (Taylor, Lyons, Malik, Ameen, Sirone, Jackson); solo; and a supergroup quartet (Taylor, Evan Parker, Guy, Oxley).

I'm not as fond of 3 Phasis as I am of Winged Serpent or Olu Iwa, two other ensemble albums from roughly the same period (I need to give Cecil Taylor Unit, from 1978 and with the same sextet as above, another listen to see where it fits in), but it's still impressive.

The solo album, recorded live in Berlin in 1991, may be one of his more approachable solo efforts, opening with a brief bit of percussion and chanting, then his playing beginning with surprising gentleness and lyricism. The arc of the performance is typical of this period: two long pieces followed by two very brief "encores" that are like signatures at the end of a long essay.

The Penguin Guide calls the last one "a mighty document indeed," and it certainly is: if you know these four men, you can imagine the sound they make together. Definitely a favorite.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Undersea

NP:

[asin]B00005Y443[/asin]

Jim Hall - Concierto

A favourite album of late.
Listening to this before heading into work - I think I will have a good day now no matter what happens there. :)

SimonNZ

Cecil Taylor - Cecil Taylor Unit (1978)
v/a - Norman Granz' Jam Session 6 (1954)

SimonNZ

v/a - Norman Granz' Jam Session 7 (1955)
v/a - Norman Granz' Jam Session 8 (1955)

Alek Hidell

Continuing with Cecil, a couple from the Berlin '88 sessions:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

v/a - Norman Granz' Jam Session 9 (1957)
Sons Of Kemet - Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do (2015)

Cecil Taylor - Indent (1973)
Cecil Taylor - It Is In The Brewing Luminous (1981)

SimonNZ

Paul Bley and Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen - PB/NHOP (1973)
Roy Haynes – Senyah (1972)

Cecil Taylor - The Spring Of Two Blue J's (1974)
Marc Ribot ‎- Asmodeus: John Zorn's Book Of Angels Volume 7 (2007)

SimonNZ

Shorty Rogers - Courts The Count (1954)
Milt Jackson - The Harem (1990)

Barbara Carroll - Trio (1949)

Alek Hidell

Moved away from Cecil, at least temporarily.

John Surman / Paul Bley / Gary Peacock / Tony Oxley: Adventure Playground (1992)
The Joe Harriott Quintet: Abstract (1962)

SimonNZ

Jimmy Smith - Groovin At Smalls Paradise Vol.1 (1957)
McCoy Tyner - Super Trios (1977)

SimonNZ

Art Farmer - The Summer Knows (1977)
Art Farmer - Listen To Art Farmer And The Orchestra (1963)

Art Farmer - Art (1960)
Art Farmer and Jim Hall - Interaction (1963)

Alek Hidell

I played some music on my little wireless speaker at work, but so as not to disturb anyone nearby I kept it at a low volume. So, it was a day of piano (but not Cecil Taylor :)).

Spineur

The Norman Granz sets just arrived.  Gorgeous presentation, the books with them have some really exceptionnal photos.  The music is way cool, iconic jazz

Maybe some of my best jazz purchases ever...

king ubu

Had posts lost and stuff, this site really sucks these days ... but want to mention the most recent Randy Weston double disc, released I think in February. It's a solo recording made over two days in Montreux, Switzerland, in summer 2001, and it's wonderful. Some more info (and link to CDBaby where you can buy it): http://www.randyweston.info/randy-weston-discography-pages/2018sound.html

Also just gave a first spin to another Stan Getz disc with an adventurous band (had been revisiting the JoAnne Brackeen recordings released on Resonance after reading the interesting interview Ethan Iverson did with her), recorded live in Paris in early 1969: Stanley Cowell (p), an over-eager (and sometimes losing it and himself and the beat and the music) young Miroslav Vitous (b) and Jack DeJohnette (d) (just a few months short of joining one MF called MD).

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Art Farmer - Blame It On My Youth (1988)
Teddy Charles - Word From Bird (1957)

Jaruzelski's Dream - Jazz Gawronski (2010)
Zoot Sims - And The Gershwin Brothers (1975)

SimonNZ

Alek Hidell

Philipp Wachsmann / Paul Lytton: Some Other Season (ECM, 1999)
AMM w/John Butcher: Sounding Music (Matchless, 2010)

SimonNZ

Lester Young and Harry Edison - Going For Myself (1957)

king ubu

One of the posts attempted to send off in the past days that went into GMG limbo (I'm more or less gone, even twitching with DNS settings which feels highly uncomfortable and definitely not what should be expected to be done by us just to visit the site, I feel -- I can usually access for about 2 minutes per day, and even then I need to refresh constantly to get onto sites and not onto an error message) was on CT and his mid/late 70s unit. I really feel that band on the "One Too Many Salty Swift..." and the two New World albums is one of the pinnacles in his long career! It may be the finest group music after the 1966 Blue Notes. The band with Rivers in 1969 somehow qualifies differently with me, as does the 1966 live material - looser, less structured and planned and organized, I love both of it or maybe the looser stuff even more, but still, "Unit" and "3 Phasis" and "Salty Swift" include some of the most inspiring music I've ever heard! I don't quite hear "Brewing Luminous" or the intense "Dark to Themselves" on that same level, and so far I've not fully connected with the Black Saint albums, but I'll be on them again soon!

Needed some easy-going jazz at one point yesterday and spun this lovely disc which combines a most spontaneous duo session with Ben Webster (just before he left for Europe) and a fine sextet date with some shrill Jon Faddis but some mighty good tenor by Budd Johnson and Frank Wess:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/