What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Cedar Walton - Eastern Rebellion 2 (1977)
Cedar Walton - Eastern Rebellion 3 (1980)

George

Only my second of third time listening to this one. So many Miles, so little time....
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Alek Hidell

The last couple of days:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

had another listen to the wonderful volumes 2 and 3 of Eastern Rebellion and now a first listen to volume 4 (1984):

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on May 16, 2018, 01:44:56 PM

Only my second of third time listening to this one. So many Miles, so little time....

One of his very best. A desert island disc.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Ooooooo baby, some good stuff on here!! Julie London with Bud Shank Quintet (with my favorite guitarist--Joe Pass!) All Through the Night. Mine is an LP, which I just FLAC-ed a few days ago. Wonderful sounding disk with incredibly quiet surfaces after cleaning.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

Lee Wiley and Bobby Hackett - Night In Manhattan (1950)

San Antone

miles davis the cellar door sessions 1970
disc 05

directions
honky tonk
what i say

George

Quote from: San Antone on May 19, 2018, 02:23:28 AM

miles davis the cellar door sessions 1970
disc 05

directions
honky tonk
what i say

Nice!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Gary Bartz / Lee Konitz / Jackie McLean / Charlie Mariano – Altissimo (1973)
Sarah Vaughan - Live In Japan (1973)

San Antone

More Miles -

miles davis & john coltrane the complete columbia recordings

Mirror Image

Listened to this album a bit earlier:

I'm still processing the passing of John Abercrombie last year. Such an immensely gifted musician with a sound-world all of his own. Characters was the first album I've heard from him and I was hooked. Many people start with album Gateway (w/ Jack DeJohnette and Dave Holland) or Timeless, but I heard a track on jazz radio about 16-17 years ago and a piece from Characters was played. I remember spending all of my paycheck on this album and several others from him. RIP, John. You're still sorely missed.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 21, 2018, 05:00:09 PM

Gary Bartz / Lee Konitz / Jackie McLean / Charlie Mariano – Altissimo (1973)
Sarah Vaughan - Live In Japan (1973)

Do you like the later Sarah Vaughan? She is one of my all-time favorite non-classical singers, but in her earlier days. Later on, I'm not entirely in love with the deeper sound of her voice. I just bought and listened to "I love Brazil", a Pablo LP. It's great of course, but I'm not totally sold on her later voice.

The one she did with Clifford Brown in the 50s is one of the greatest recordings ever made IMO. I have early recordings of hers on Allegro, Columbia, and Remington LPs, which are also stunning!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 23, 2018, 05:27:22 PM
Do you like the later Sarah Vaughan? She is one of my all-time favorite non-classical singers, but in her earlier days. Later on, I'm not entirely in love with the deeper sound of her voice. I just bought and listened to "I love Brazil", a Pablo LP. It's great of course, but I'm not totally sold on her later voice.

The one she did with Clifford Brown in the 50s is one of the greatest recordings ever made IMO. I have early recordings of hers on Allegro, Columbia, and Remington LPs, which are also stunning!

That one has a superb version of "Wave" and an interesting request for "Willow Weep For Me" where she tells the audience she cant remember any lyrics beyond the title and scats the whole song. Otherwise its pretty straightforward and not essential, imo.

SimonNZ

Cal Tjader – Agua Dulce (1971)
Dollar Brand - Plays Sphere Jazz (1962)

NikF

Jimmy Bruno: Midnight Blue

[asin]B00005MKGI[/asin]

I don't often listen to guitarists but Jimmy Bruno has been an exception. He's probably also the reason I've recently been playing guitar a lot. Anyway, on this album he effortlessly makes his way through a variety of styles and approaches, along the way kind of reminding me of Grant Green and then Danny Gatton.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Shelly Manne - The West Coast Sound (1955)
Rampart Street Paraders - Dixieland My Dixieland (1956)

NikF

Joe Pass: Blues for Fred.

[asin]B0002ZYDO2[/asin]

Wish I could play guitar the way Astaire could dance.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mookalafalas

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 28, 2018, 03:33:13 PM

Lester Young and Harry Edison - Going For Myself (1957)

Wow. Never knew they recorded together. Have to look for that...
It's all good...

king ubu

Heard Fred Frith and Hans Koch perform yesterday, in the living room a good friend - amazing! Bought their Intakt duo release from last year from Koch, but so far haven't felt like running that against the wonderful concert experience. Went with some other stuff by Koch, and have some more Koch-Schütz-Studer lined up. The ECM - with Marco Käppeli on drums - is kind of a predecessor, Schütz also playing double bass and the whole mood much less loaded, less "hardcore", so to speak (ECM rarely takes hardcore, does it? and when it does, it's the kind of that Evan Parker or Rosceo Mitchell brew together).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/