What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Frank Sinatra - The Voice Of Frank Sinatra (1946)

San Antone

A classic

Getz/Gilberto

I discovered Bossa Nova when I was still in Shreveport, high school I guess.  Jobim mainly.  Then I got a gig with a piano player from the big city of Dallas who came to Shreveport, I think, to escape his ex-wife.  He got the best supper club/jazz lounge six-night-a-week gig in Shreveport, and since I could read his charts, I got the gig playing bass. 

I was totally knocked out when he handed me a lead sheet for "Wave" - I was in heaven.  That gig lasted almost two years and then he went back to Dallas.  HE called a few months later and I and my wife (and now infant child, who is now 45) moved to Dallas (where my wife was from).  Xavier (the piano player) got a similar gig in Dallas for our trio.  That gig lasted about two years.  By then I had began to crack the Dallas jazz scene, which eventually got me the gig with Fathead Newman and then NYC.

NYC had a large Brazilian community, huge music scene.  I began hanging out at a jazz club that had a regular Sunday Brazilian night and met and began a romantic relationship with a Brazilian woman, who was a few years older, and knew everyone.  She introduced me to Tchiago de Mello whose 10 piece band had the gig at Jazzmania.  He hired me to play bass, and was where I met Claudio Roditi.  I played in Claudio's quartet, which led me to Dom Salvadore and then Joao Donato and the New York Samba Band.  By now the club Sounds of Brazil (SOB for short) had opened and was the primary scene. 

Fun days.

SimonNZ

Roland Kirk - Left And Right (1968)
Charles Lloyd - Soundtrack (1968)

It seems that when I first went through the Jarrett-era Lloyds I played only the studio albums and missed all the live ones

Freddie Hubbard - A Soul Experiment (1969)
Luis Gasca - The Little Giant (1969)

Hadn't previously realized that "Afro-Blue" isn't a Coltrane composition, nor that it first appeared on a Cal Tjader album

San Antone

Jimmy Rosenberg : Guitar Genius

QuoteGypsy jazz (also known as gypsy swing or hot club jazz) is a style of jazz generally accepted to have been started by the Romani guitarist Jean "Django" Reinhardt in Paris during the 1930s. Because its origins are in France, and Reinhardt was from the Manouche Roma clan, gypsy jazz is often called by the French name "jazz manouche", or alternatively, "manouche jazz" in English language sources.[

Jimmy Rosenberg is the youngest member of a precocious musical family playing in the jazz manouche style.  I am not sure but I think he was a teenager, 13 or 14 when this record was made.  Phenomenal!

That looks like Angelo DeBarre sitting next to him, another fantastic guitarist.

San Antone

I wonder if the Jazz Lounge is the proper place to post about various styles of music I am very interested, like Manouche?  Musicians in this style play a unique guitar and in a fashion very much influenced by Django Reinhardt.  There has been a huge resurgance in this style since the 80s.

then there's Fado a Portuguese style of music which I really like usually features a singer and the traditional 12-string guitar:

QuoteFado (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈfaðu]; "destiny, fate") is a music genre that can be traced to the 1820s in Lisbon, Portugal, but probably has much earlier origins. Fado historian and scholar Rui Vieira Nery states that "the only reliable information on the history of Fado was orally transmitted and goes back to the 1820s and 1830s at best. But even that information was frequently modified within the generational transmission process that made it reach us today."

The Coimbra guitar has evolved into an instrument different from that of Lisbon, with its own tuning, sound colouring, and construction. Artur Paredes, a progressive and innovative singer, revolutionised the tuning of the guitar and its accompaniment style to Coimbra fado. Artur Paredes was the father of Carlos Paredes, who followed in his father's footsteps and expanded on his work, making the Portuguese guitar an instrument known around the world.

Flamenco, from Spain is also a wonderful style - also of Gypsy origins along with Manouche.

And the various forms of Brazilian music, Bossa Nova, Música popular brasileira (MPB), Tropicalia, Minas Gerais style, Forró, etc., might also fall into this category.

Would having a World Music Topic be a good idea? 

SimonNZ

San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 09, 2019, 04:54:03 PM
Definitely.

I thought of a couple of other musics, Cuban with artists like Bebe Valdes and Ibrahim Ferrer - and then there's Argentinian Tango starting with Astor Piazzolla and all of the musicians he influenced.

modified

Great mix of world music and jazz.

San Antone

NikF4

Rene Thomas: Meeting Mister Thomas

[asin]B00005EB1E[/asin]

Thomas Jasper Quintet

[asin]B0000CBHY2[/asin]

San Antone

Keith Jarrett piano, soprano saxophone, osi drums, tambourine
Dewey Redman tenor saxophone, tambourine, maracas
Charlie Haden bass
Paul Motian drums, percussion

QuoteEyes of The Heart is a jazz album by American pianist Keith Jarrett released in 1979 by the ECM record label. The personnel on the album is the "American Quartet", made up of Jarrett, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian. It was recorded at the Theater am Kornmarkt, Bregenz in Austria in May 1976. The studio album The Survivors' Suite had been recorded one month earlier.

Eyes of The Heart was the last album released to feature Jarrett's American quartet.

San Antone

San Antone

Grandes del Cante Flamenco : Pepe Pinto

San Antone

This just arrived ~

Starting with CD1 - mainly New Orleans stuff.  I have most of this in other places but it is real nice to have it all in one place to listen to in order.  And the book is excellent.  Very nice presentation.

8)

SimonNZ

San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 11, 2019, 12:26:19 PM
Which albums is that repackaging?

It isn't albums but "111 Tracks of Music History" - you can read about it here.

It does not exactly replicate the original 5LP box that came out in 1973, although there is significant overlap.  Because this is one is on CDs they could expand the number of tracks and chose also to add at least one additional disc of music that post dated the 1973 collection.

The accompanying book is really a valuable resources, and the transfers are the best I've heard of the early jazz selections.

San Antone

Miles Davis Quintet : In Person Friday & Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk (Complete)

Miles Davis – trumpet
Hank Mobley – tenor saxophone
Wynton Kelly – piano
Paul Chambers – bass
Jimmy Cobb – drums

This box and the Plugged Nickel with the 2nd Great Quintet are two of the best live collections I have.  I listen to them often and never tire of the performances.

San Antone

Oscar Aleman : Swing Guitar Masterpieces 1938-1957

QuoteAcoustic Disc's Swing Guitar Masterpieces is the first United States CD release of the music of Oscar Alemán, an amazing Argentine guitarist who, according to jazz critic Leonard Feather, could "outswing Django Reinhardt," his friend and peer. This special double-CD compilation contains over 140 minutes of Alemán swinging interpretations of popular standards from both North and South America. The 52 tracks were recorded between 1938 and 1957, and represent this rarely-heard genius in his prime. A 20-page booklet of rare photos, biographical notes and discographical information is also included with the set.

This is a fantastic 2CD collection. 

XB-70 Valkyrie

Recently on KCSM, now on my wish list...

Wycliffe Jordan and Eric Reed, We

Brad Meldhau, Elegiac Cycle

Charlie Haden and Brad Meldahu, Long Ago and Far Away

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Alek Hidell

Today was a mixed bag:

Strange thing about that Pasqua album: online I see lots of images of that cover, with the black background - yet the background on mine is a kind of burgundy color.

I also started this one:

Five CDs' worth of material here and undoubtedly a lot to absorb - it's certainly a pleasure so far.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara