What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Picked this up today for cheap. I have a new SACD player and this disc sounds great!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on May 15, 2019, 11:40:56 AM

Picked this up today for cheap. I have a new SACD player and this disc sounds great!

Good for you and enjoy!

George

SimonNZ

Dexter Gordon - Sophisticated Giant (1977)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 15, 2019, 04:15:48 PM

Dexter Gordon - Sophisticated Giant (1977)

Quite possibly my favorite Dexter Gordon album, but I might be a bit biased since I love big band so much. The Slide Hampton arrangements are top-notch. This album also features one of my favorite trumpeters, Woody Shaw.

aligreto

Charlie Spivak and his Orchestra 1943/6

I am quite partial to a bit of gentle Swing and this one is very well performed both instrumentally [interestingly listed as "Probable Basic Personnel"] and vocally with Irene Daye. This offering is very evocative of a particular era in musical recording history. The recorded sound is excellent. I really like this one: it is one for late night easy listening.

SimonNZ

Phineas Newborn Trio – I Love A Piano (1959)

Pap

Fabulous One Michrophone  recording series from Sound Liaison, truly spectacular, complete phase coherency.
The Feenbrothers recording is especially outstanding.unbelievable that one microphone can do this  . Only problem is that everything else sounds a bit unnatural after this recording, that is how real it is.
https://www.soundliaison.com/

Mookalafalas

The quality of this remastering is nothing short of a miracle :o :o :o :o :o :o  95 years old, and sounds fresh, clear, and the instrumental sounds actually have texture.  Extraordinary.
[asin]B00001ZWLP[/asin]
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 24, 2019, 06:43:19 AM
The quality of this remastering is nothing short of a miracle :o :o :o :o :o :o  95 years old, and sounds fresh, clear, and the instrumental sounds actually have texture.  Extraordinary.
[asin]B00001ZWLP[/asin]

I think that I will have to track that one down!

San Antone

This is the one I bought when it first came out:

[asin]B00004WK37[/asin]

Very nicely produced, and the book has excellent discographical material.  Somewhat more expensive than the one posted earlier, but a more valuable set overall, IMO.

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on May 24, 2019, 09:00:15 AM
This is the one I bought when it first came out:

[asin]B00004WK37[/asin]

Very nicely produced, and the book has excellent discographical material.  Somewhat more expensive than the one posted earlier, but a more valuable set overall, IMO.

Cheers for that. I would love to have some of those recordings on vinyl.

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on May 24, 2019, 09:07:27 AM
Cheers for that. I would love to have some of those recordings on vinyl.

I think they would be shellac - 78 rpm discs. 

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on May 24, 2019, 09:13:15 AM
I think they would be shellac - 78 rpm discs.

Yes, of course, due to the age of the recordings but I would really be interested in a good transfer to vinyl.

SimonNZ

Philly Joe Jones - Philly Mignon (1978)
George Cables - Circle (1979)

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 30, 2019, 01:08:49 AM

Philly Joe Jones - Philly Mignon (1978)
George Cables - Circle (1979)

Philly Joe is SO GOOD! One of my top two fave jazz drummers.* I should check out some of his solo stuff, as I only have him supporting other artists.

* The other being Tony Williams.

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on May 30, 2019, 03:27:45 PM
Philly Joe is SO GOOD! One of my top two fave jazz drummers.* I should check out some of his solo stuff, as I only have him supporting other artists.

* The other being Tony Williams.

That Philly Joe album really impressed me. Great contributions from Dexter Gordon and George Cables.

now:

Cannonball Adderley - At The Lighthouse (1960)

George

First spin of this energetic 2CD set.

SimonNZ

McCoy Tyner - La Leyenda De La Hora (1981)