What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Melvin Rhyne – Tomorrow Yesterday Today (2004)

modified

Mal Waldron Trio ft. Jim Pepper (1994)

aligreto

Armstrong Hot Fives And Sevens [Vol. 1]

from this recent purchase....   

SimonNZ

Yusef Lateef - The Fabric Of Jazz (1959)

Pap

Stunning new/old recording concept using only one microphone. The result is spectacular. It is as having the musicians placed in position in between my speakers. Highly recommended;
https://www.soundliaison.com/
The advantages of the One Microphone approach to recording are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth, superior realism.
Another advantage is that it it forces the band being recorded to really play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix, so this is where it helps being a real band.

Reinier Voet and Pigalle 44 are just that; a real band, road tested, with years of experience playing clubs and concert halls all over Europe. When recording with one microphone the mix is done before we start to record.
We have to make the complete sound stage on the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relationship to the microphone.
Reinier Voet & Pigalle 44 immediately understood the situation, and their great live experience made getting the sound just right a breeze.

San Antone

Quote from: Pap on June 17, 2019, 06:50:07 AM
Stunning new/old recording concept using only one microphone. The result is spectacular. It is as having the musicians placed in position in between my speakers. Highly recommended;

Excellent!  I love Jazz Manouche.  Thanks for the tip.  And, welcome to GMG.

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Chet Baker - Someday My Prince Will Come (1979)

SimonNZ

Duke Ellington - Duke's Big 4 (1974)

SimonNZ

Bob Cooper - Sextet (1954)
Lester Young - Trio (1946)

aligreto

The Young Dorsey Brothers 1928-1930

SimonNZ

Andy Middleton - Nomad's Notebook (1999)
Dollar Brand - Underground In Africa (1974)

SimonNZ

Jackie McLean - Ghetto Lullaby (1973)
Chet Baker - Daybreak (1979)

aligreto

Armstrong: Hot Fives And Sevens [Vol. 2]

From this set....   

SimonNZ

Sonny Sharrock - Ask The Ages (1991)
Geri Allen - Twenty-One (1994)

JBS

Just finished the first CD of this
[asin]B07HQ7LJQ2[/asin]
CD 1 consists of the material on "Conversations" plus two previously unissued takes of Muses for Richard Davis

CD 2 corresponds to the "Iron Man" with a previously unissued track called Personal Statement ,  while CD 3 is previously unissued material,  alternate takes of songs appearing on the original albums.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 26, 2019, 03:39:19 PM
Just finished the first CD of this
[asin]B07HQ7LJQ2[/asin]
CD 1 consists of the material on "Conversations" plus two previously unissued takes of Muses for Richard Davis

CD 2 corresponds to the "Iron Man" with a previously unissued track called Personal Statement ,  while CD 3 is previously unissued material,  alternate takes of songs appearing on the original albums.

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Armstrong: Hot Fives and Sevens

Vol. 3 of this set   

SimonNZ

Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass - Take Love Easy (1973)
Oscar Peterson and Dizzy Gillespie - s/t (1974)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Take Love Easy--one of my all-time favorites in any genre. The artistry of both Joe Pass (my favorite guitarist of all time) and Ella is astounding but never ostentatious, and the intimate mood/acoustic is complemented by the selection of introspective and unusual repertoire. For another unforgettable dialogue, try Joe Pass and Neils Hening Orsted Pedersen in Northsea Nights--a killer-sounding LP, but horrible CD transfer (At least the first attempt I heard decades ago).

Recent listening:

Trying to get into this one, but not successful so far:

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff