What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

While mowing the lawn (not exactly ideal listening conditions, I know):

It'd been a while since I'd listened to this. Boy, it's good.

Then started:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

modified

aligreto

JBS

Found this in the used CD shop today,  playing it now
[asin]B00000I8UH[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

jwinter

First listen, love it.  I definitely need to explore more Ellington... I'm still relatively new to jazz and getting my bearings, been listening off and on for 3-4 years.  Started with Bill Evans, then Miles and branched out from there....

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

aligreto

Quote from: jwinter on August 15, 2019, 06:46:40 PM
First listen, love it.  I definitely need to explore more Ellington... I'm still relatively new to jazz and getting my bearings, been listening off and on for 3-4 years.  Started with Bill Evans, then Miles and branched out from there....

I am no jazz expert by a long shot but I do listen to Ellington occasionally. Such Sweet Thunder is a really good album. I think that you would like New Orleans Suite, as posted above [if you do not mind a recommendation].

SimonNZ

Bob Wilber - And His Famous Jazz Band With Guest Star Sidney Bechet (1949)

SimonNZ

Chico Hamilton - With Paul Horn (1963)

SimonNZ

earlier:

despite being recorded on the same day I've somehow always found Agharta a more impressive concert set album than Pamgaea

SimonNZ

Sir Charles Thompson - Starring Coleman Hawkins (1954)

SimonNZ

modified

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

SimonNZ

Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee (1967)

Introverted

NP:

[asin]B01K24FJA4[/asin]

Jim Hall - Jazz Guitar

For a first listen - As usual if I forgo a comment the reader may assume I enjoyed the Album.  :-[ :D

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Alek Hidell

The number of prominent female musicians at the forefront of improvised music these days is really a marvel: Lotte Anker, Mary Halvorson, Nicole Mitchell, Anna Högberg, Tomeka Reid, Myra Melford, Matana Roberts, Jaimie Branch, Alexandra Grimal ... the list goes on. Of course there have always been women in jazz, including those who were composers and instrumentalists (as opposed to being singers), but they seem to have a prominence now as a whole that they've never had before.

Anyway, two of them are present here, with Reid the nominal leader on her unlikely instrument but Halvorson given ample solo space - and it swings! Good stuff.

vandermolen

Sarah Tandy:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ