What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

New 7 CD box set of early Nat King Cole recordings, many released for the first time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

modified

Jack Wilkins (1977/1992)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 30, 2019, 09:44:00 PM

Art Blakey - Tough (1956)

Interesting - never seen that before. I assume that's some kind of reissue because the photo of the lady looks like it was taken later than 1956 - in the '60s, maybe (she looks a bit like Mary Tyler Moore, actually).

TD:

This is actually my first time to listen to these recordings - well, most of them. I have heard two or three on other compilations. I'm not really a fan of these comps where the alternate takes are placed right before or after the "official" version - but of course these are such legendary sides that such quibbles are ... well, quibbles.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Alek Hidell

Quote from: modified on November 08, 2019, 02:23:08 AM
Looks like Blakey is 1966 release
https://www.allmusic.com/album/tough%21-mw0000874203   

Thanks - my alternative idea was that it wasn't released until several years after it was recorded, which seems to be the case. Blakey had at least one other album like that (Roots and Herbs) and probably others, too.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

JBS

This set
[asin]B01D01K3RU[/asin]
Has been sitting on my shelf with its companion (for 1959-1963), and two similar sets from Sonny Rollins, since January. High time to actually listen to them.
There are 4 CDs in the set, with 2 complete albums per CD.  So CD1, playing now, is these two

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Hal Galper - Wild Bird (1972)

not sure if I've ever heard Hal Galper before, but this has made me keen to investigate further

JBS

CD 1
[asin]B01D01K3RK[/asin]
LD +3 (1959)
The Time Is Right (1959)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

dissily Mordentroge

Skip to 8.47. . . . Maybe this isn't strictly jazz but if it's not, what is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blW-3TZ1iNg

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Wynton Marsalis - Congo Square (2007)

San Antone

aligreto

Currently listening to Duke Ellington - Three Suites

T. D.

All the non-vocal recordings from this box - currently Sempre Amore, the Ellington/Strayhorn duet album with Steve Lacy.

San Antone

Jelly Roll Morton : Complete Victor Recordings, 1926

Classic recordings made with his best band, during his prime.

San Antone

Ella & Louis : Porgy & Bess

One of my favorite jazz treatments of the Gershwin masterpiece.  Norman Granz put Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong together on several recordings (Ella & Louis; Ella & Louis Again; Live, P&B); all are excellent, IMO, and you can find the complete set on a 3CD collection, although OOP it is widely available.

San Antone

A discussion about Andrew Hill on the recordings your are considering thread, got me back into listening to Andrew Hill.  This is a Blue Note recording, that was recorded in 1965 but not released on the Blue Note label until 1975 as part of a compilation album One for One.

Andrew Quintet - Pax

Andrew Hill - piano
    Freddie Hubbard - cornet (tracks 1-4 & 7)
    Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone (tracks 1-4 & 7)
    Richard Davis - bass
    Joe Chambers - drums

A GREAT band!

SimonNZ

Horace Silver - Doin' The Thing (1961)
Jason Moran - Black Stars (2001)

modified