Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 737029 times)

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #4300 on: February 12, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »

Just starting this - I believe my first encounter with either musician - so too early for impressions yet.

Those look tasty, Simon. Don't believe I've ever seen that Lee Morgan cover before - nor had I ever seen a photo of him playing that Dizzy Gillespie-style trumpet, with the upturned bell. Guess he did that early in his career?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline modified

« Reply #4301 on: February 13, 2020, 02:38:15 AM »

Tony Overwater Trio & Calefax Reed Quintet: Ellington Suites (2005)

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #4302 on: February 13, 2020, 07:51:42 PM »

I'm a big admirer of Murray, who may have done more than anyone else to invent free-jazz drumming (with all due credit to Andrew Cyrille and Rashied Ali, though) and was a native Oklahoman like myself ;D. And there are certainly some other fine names on this combination of two brief albums Murray recorded in 1969: Roscoe Mitchell, Lester Bowie, Dave Burrell, and Archie Shepp, among others. Still, I can't say I'm a big fan of this so far (it's my first listen). It's not the cacophony per se - I like the cacophony of free jazz! - but the way it's done here.

Maybe this is just a period of free jazz that I'm not particularly fond of, when it was still kind of finding its way and was almost self-consciously "ugly," a reflection perhaps of the volatile racial politics of the era. I like the Art Ensemble of Chicago stuff from this same time period, so I guess it depends. And I'm not done with this one yet, so maybe it'll improve. We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:31:25 PM by Alek Hidell »
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #4303 on: February 13, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »

First spin. I didn't love this one.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #4304 on: February 16, 2020, 09:15:32 PM »
Now spinning:

Stefon Harris: African Tarantella: Dances with Duke

I absolutely adore this album. It never gets old and I think a lot of stems from the fact that Ellington’s music is involved. There are some Harris compositions here as well, which are great. I wish he would return to Ellington’s music.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline deprofundis

classical, skronk-jazz, blues, experimental etc
« Reply #4305 on: February 17, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »
I love Japanese  noisy jazz mister Masayuki Takanayagi, Is a revelation to me, I like most of his works, I really like April is the cruelest month, very enlightening & interesting, and by god may captivating, I have few of is recording, anyone like his works, beside me here?

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4306 on: Today at 07:32:59 PM »

Art Pepper and Conte Candoli - Mucho Calor (1958)