What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Just starting this - I believe my first encounter with either musician - so too early for impressions yet.

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 12, 2020, 02:39:36 PM

Those look tasty, Simon. Don't believe I've ever seen that Lee Morgan cover before - nor had I ever seen a photo of him playing that Dizzy Gillespie-style trumpet, with the upturned bell. Guess he did that early in his career?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

modified

Tony Overwater Trio & Calefax Reed Quintet: Ellington Suites (2005)

Alek Hidell

I'm a big admirer of Murray, who may have done more than anyone else to invent free-jazz drumming (with all due credit to Andrew Cyrille and Rashied Ali, though) and was a native Oklahoman like myself ;D. And there are certainly some other fine names on this combination of two brief albums Murray recorded in 1969: Roscoe Mitchell, Lester Bowie, Dave Burrell, and Archie Shepp, among others. Still, I can't say I'm a big fan of this so far (it's my first listen). It's not the cacophony per se - I like the cacophony of free jazz! - but the way it's done here.

Maybe this is just a period of free jazz that I'm not particularly fond of, when it was still kind of finding its way and was almost self-consciously "ugly," a reflection perhaps of the volatile racial politics of the era. I like the Art Ensemble of Chicago stuff from this same time period, so I guess it depends. And I'm not done with this one yet, so maybe it'll improve. We'll see.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Now spinning:

Stefon Harris: African Tarantella: Dances with Duke

I absolutely adore this album. It never gets old and I think a lot of stems from the fact that Ellington's music is involved. There are some Harris compositions here as well, which are great. I wish he would return to Ellington's music.

Carlo Gesualdo

I love Japanese  noisy jazz mister Masayuki Takanayagi, Is a revelation to me, I like most of his works, I really like April is the cruelest month, very enlightening & interesting, and by god may captivating, I have few of is recording, anyone like his works, beside me here?

SimonNZ

Art Pepper and Conte Candoli - Mucho Calor (1958)

Mirror Image

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 21, 2020, 07:38:14 PM
Michel Benita Ethics: River Silver

Nice!

Some info from Tyran Grillo's ECM review site:

QuoteMichel Benita double bass
Matthieu Michel flugelhorn
Mieko Miyazaki koto
Eivind Aarset guitar, electronics
Philippe Garcia drums
Recorded April 2015, Auditorio Stelio Molo RSI, Lugano

On River Silver, Paris-based bassist Michel Benita makes his ECM leader debut with the borderless Ethics ensemble. Joined by Swiss flugelhorn player Matthieu Michel, koto player Mieko Miyazaki, Norwegian guitarist Eivind Aarset (with whom he plays in Andy Sheppard's quartet), and French drummer Philippe Garcia, Benita architects a veritable museum of mostly original creations. Even before a single note is heard, as Benita tells me in a recent email interview, the very name of the project is resonant in a way that caught the attention of producer Manfred Eicher:

"The world needs more ethics: understanding, empathy, and sharing. That's how I hear this word. And the idea of sharing between different cultures is very important for me. Hence, our lineup. The band functions collectively, without ego. ECM, too, represents a certain kind of musical ethics. The band was almost made for the label, though not consciously, and I was very happy when Manfred recognized our familial relationship upon hearing the first album."

Ethics is a dream group in the truest sense, because everything it plays is of a dream. As such, it reflects Benita's increasingly open approach to space and making music within it. All the more appropriate that he should have found a new home in ECM territory. On that note, even as I post this review Benita is in the studio again with Michel, Garcia, and new Flemish recruit Jozef Dumoulin on Fender Rhodes.

8)

San Antone

Julia Hülsmann Quartet
Not Far From Here

Uli Kempendorff tenor saxophone
Julia Hülsmann piano
Marc Muellbauer double bass
Heinrich Köbberling drums
Recorded March 2019, Studios La Buissonne, Pernes-les-Fontaines

ABOUT

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on February 21, 2020, 11:09:21 PM
Nice!

Some info from Tyran Grillo's ECM review site:

8)

Yes, it's a fine album. I really bought this recording because of Eivind Aarset's involvement (who is one of my favorite guitarists), but, to my surprise per usual, the musical results were definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Aarset, who I view as a colorist, provides a gorgeous backdrop to the musical proceedings. I also love those Andy Sheppard albums he played on --- so gorgeous, then there's his work with Nils Petter Molvær. The list goes on.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just dug out and FLAC-ed this LP (Japanese Reissue) of Horace Silver's Silver's Serenede I haven't listented to since the Rhynie Chert flora dominated terrestrial ecosystems and...

Damn.

What a record! In addition to Horace Silver's piano stylings (don't you hate that expression?) I really dig Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook on trumpet and tenor sax respectively. Will have to track down more of these HS quintet LPs.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

T. D.

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 23, 2020, 08:04:26 PM
What a record! In addition to Horace Silver's piano stylings (don't you hate that expression?) I really dig Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook on trumpet and tenor sax respectively. ...

My favorite Horace recordings (and I own quite a few) are the ones with the Blue Mitchell / Junior Cook front line.

Listening:

Carlo Gesualdo

Arthur Doyles(featuing is new quiet screamer) awesome release, it's written narly all over... hmm hmm.. very very nice works, surreal beauty and improvisations.

Masayuki Takanagi revisited listen for me, all I have got plenty of him, very nice stuff. Material 1-2
(3 missing but partial), but eventually it won, it's a mater of time.

P.s Arthur Doyles  stuff iI DIG  i really adore, great Jazz innovator of it's time.

SimonNZ

San Antone

San Antone

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: George on March 04, 2020, 03:45:41 PM
They should give people Ellington CDs instead of anti-depressants.

Works for me.

8)

bhodges

Quote from: George on March 04, 2020, 03:45:41 PM
They should give people Ellington CDs instead of anti-depressants.

I like this idea, too!

--Bruce