What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Quote from: George on June 04, 2020, 02:12:38 PM

I swear I did not see this post before putting on the very same album an hour later.

George

Quote from: Brian on June 04, 2020, 03:52:26 PM
I swear I did not see this post before putting on the very same album an hour later.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Afterwards while cooking fish and couscous I put on "Nothing but the Blues," with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, Roy Eldridge, and Stan Getz.

T. D.

Question of Mingus's best album arose above. My knee-jerk response is Mingus Ah Um, but whenever I pull The Black Saint... off the shelf I think "damn, I always overlook this, it's probably his best".

Old San Antone

Quote from: T. D. on June 07, 2020, 02:57:55 PM

Question of Mingus's best album arose above. My knee-jerk response is Mingus Ah Um, but whenever I pull The Black Saint... off the shelf I think "damn, I always overlook this, it's probably his best".

Question is moot, IMO - Mingus made so many really great records, asking which one is the best is almost pointless.  But both of those you mention are surely contenders.

8)

SimonNZ

At various times today:

and a fine day's listening it was

Old San Antone

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 08, 2020, 01:18:11 AM
At various times today:

and a fine day's listening it was

Nice to have you back, and your classic Jazz!

8)

Biffo

Holmboe: Symphony No 1 - Aarhus Symphony Orchestra conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes - enjoyable but not, I suspect, typical. Not lost after all, I burnt it to a CD, now retrieved from the vaults.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Biffo on June 08, 2020, 03:50:30 AM
Holmboe: Symphony No 1 - Aarhus Symphony Orchestra conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes - enjoyable but not, I suspect, typical. Not lost after all, I burnt it to a CD, now retrieved from the vaults.

you may not have meant this to be here, Biffo... unless it had some be-bop undertones i missed  ;)
Olivier

modified

bhodges

Saturday, June 20, and check out the all-star guest list. Incredibly, the stream appears to be free.

https://twitter.com/preshallband/status/1271141403599556618?s=19

--Bruce

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Ada Moore - Jazz Workshop (1955)

I know it sounds harsh to say it, but this is exactly what Sarah Vaughan would sound like if she recorded drunk

also played:

SimonNZ

Anne Phillips - Born To Be Blue (1958)

Carlo Gesualdo

Epert in jazz please tell me who invented SKRONK in african-american ,, of usaa,, Noisy, muddy ,, sskronk thus said sounding ugly  out of control and destroy to the max  heavyniess not metal but almost louder than rock or metal, very marginal stuff ??

Hello jazz dude aand whit dude expert in skronk jazz of ancient day african -american jazz, that sounded marginal loud amps in the red all noissy  loud , heavy yet not metal , but metallic in the end same approche , but chaotic?

aligreto

aligreto

modified

Jon Balke, Per Jörgensen, Audun Kleive (1991): On and On

T. D.

New release, just arrived. Many thanks to Bertrand of Dark Tree (France)!