What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 21, 2021, 08:34:58 PM
I certainly understand the attraction of the Second Quintet material, but getting to hear at length Gil Evans teaching the orchestra all the tricky bits for Miles Ahead made that one the essential box (as opposed to simply owning the standard albums) for me.

Listening to rehearsals is fine one-time, but after that, I don't really find myself wanting to listen to that kind of stuff again.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

^That's one I've heard only a few times and not recently. I should give it another go. What did you make of it?

playing now:

Paul Desmond and Jim Hall - First Place Again (1959)

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 26, 2021, 04:17:53 PM
^That's one I've heard only a few times and not recently. I should give it another go. What did you make of it?

Wild, dark stuff. I liked it.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Fred Hersch - Everybody's Song But My Own (2010)

aligreto

The Billie Holiday Songbook

There is lots of well earned applause on this wonderful album.

SimonNZ

learning for the first time that they had to simultaneously use two different sets of microphones at the recording of Monk's Music to capture both a mono and stereo masters and as a result the two mixes despite being the same performances are said to be quite distinct in atmosphere and balance of instruments

SimonNZ

bhodges

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brewski on April 09, 2021, 04:00:19 PM
Would be interested in comments! (Beautiful cover.)

--Bruce

Highly recommended.

Its a double live album from 1989 that you wont realize is a live album until some way in you hear the first applause after a prolonged solo, so well captured and balanced in studio quality sound are the musicians and so well rehearsed and composed seems the music. Its a dream team quartet with John Carter's prominent clarinet replacing the more familiar sax role playing music that feels like it flirts with or might become avant-guard at any moment but instead is held somehow into older blues-groove patterns, even in its more faster and ferocious passages and more complex time signatures, and hints or quotes of sixties hard bop though much longer-form and distinctly modern. Great as pianists Tapscott's performance is here I'm especially impressed by the  virtuoso drumming of Andrew Cyrille.

edit: I see now it was recorded somewhere called the Catalina Bar and Grill in Hollywood, which I wouldn't have thought sounded like a venue that would capture studio quality sound.

And I see that the Penguin Guide awarded it a crown. They draw attention to it representing the darker side of the West Coast's "cool", which strikes me as an odd thing to say of an album from 1989 not 1959.

SimonNZ

Huh. I was expecting someone to push back at my largely unlearned description of the album as misrepresenting it.

now:

Andrew Cyrille on drums again, as well as providing the opening "mouth percussion"

BWV 1080

T. D.

Quote from: Brewski on April 09, 2021, 04:00:19 PM
Would be interested in comments! (Beautiful cover.)

--Bruce

Also highly recommend it. I'm not impartial, being a big admirer of Horace Tapscott, whose recordings generally are hard to find. The Dark Tree is the most commonly recommended Tapscott and has been in and out of print. It was the first of his recordings I acquired and I rank it as one of the best.
No beef with Simon's post except for the corrected error re. live recording.
Only caution is that there's a really strong groove or vamp or ostinato figure (not sure what to call it) that you might find a bit repetitious at times; not that surprising for a live recording.

If you like the recording, I recommend Steven Isoardi's book (warning, oop) and Bertrand Gastaut's reissue label, both of the same title.

bhodges

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 09, 2021, 04:59:10 PM
Highly recommended.

Its a double live album from 1989 that you wont realize is a live album until some way in you hear the first applause after a prolonged solo, so well captured and balanced in studio quality sound are the musicians and so well rehearsed and composed seems the music. Its a dream team quartet with John Carter's prominent clarinet replacing the more familiar sax role playing music that feels like it flirts with or might become avant-guard at any moment but instead is held somehow into older blues-groove patterns, even in its more faster and ferocious passages and more complex time signatures, and hints or quotes of sixties hard bop though much longer-form and distinctly modern. Great as pianists Tapscott's performance is here I'm especially impressed by the  virtuoso drumming of Andrew Cyrille.

edit: I see now it was recorded somewhere called the Catalina Bar and Grill in Hollywood, which I wouldn't have thought sounded like a venue that would capture studio quality sound.

And I see that the Penguin Guide awarded it a crown. They draw attention to it representing the darker side of the West Coast's "cool", which strikes me as an odd thing to say of an album from 1989 not 1959.

Quote from: T. D. on April 13, 2021, 07:35:56 AM
Also highly recommend it. I'm not impartial, being a big admirer of Horace Tapscott, whose recordings generally are hard to find. The Dark Tree is the most commonly recommended Tapscott and has been in and out of print. It was the first of his recordings I acquired and I rank it as one of the best.
No beef with Simon's post except for the corrected error re. live recording.

Apparently I missed the memo about Tapscott! But a little research, plus some listening on YouTube, have turned me into a fan, so thank you both.

--Bruce

SimonNZ

today:

SimonNZ

Joe Henderson - Relaxin' at Camarillo (1979)

Alek Hidell

Another very firm endorsement of The Dark Tree from me. :) I think it's the only Tapscott I own, but yeah, it's excellent.

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 13, 2021, 10:48:16 PM
today:

I always put this and Maiden Voyage together in my mind as a pair. I rate Maiden Voyage slightly higher because of George Coleman's very fine contributions, but this one is superb too.

TD - catching up on some Nate Wooley:

Nate Wooley Sextet: (Sit In) The Throne of Friendship (2013)
Nate Wooley: Knknighgh (Minimal Poetry for Aram Saroyan) (2017)

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

modified

Matthew Halsall (2011): On The Go.

aligreto

The Cecil Taylor Unit: Live in Bologna

Stürmisch Bewegt

I've never outgrown my affection for June Christy and not expecting to, nor do I agree with most - actually I reckon all - jazz authorities that her silken voice was best paired with big bands.  I sure enjoy the more intimate settings with this group, recorded early in her career; the Guarnieris are not exceptional, but they are hand in glove and the spotlight is ever on where it belongs. 

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.