Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Preservation Hall Jazz Band: New Orleans

A wonderful sonic experience!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on September 06, 2021, 01:16:34 PM
Preservation Hall Jazz Band: New Orleans

A wonderful sonic experience!

I used to pass by the club all the time in the late 1990s and early 2000s!

T. D.

Obscure, but highly recommended to fans of Malcolm Lowry's "cult novel" Under the Volcano (or even the film adaptation). Someone's posted the recording (in segments) on Youtube.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 06, 2021, 01:32:40 PM
I used to pass by the club all the time in the late 1990s and early 2000s!

Cool  8)
Ever go in?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on September 11, 2021, 01:51:15 AM
Cool  8)
Ever go in?

Only one time in 11 years.

Listened today: Mark Whitfield, 7th Ave. Stroll.

mabuse

Quote from: T. D. on September 10, 2021, 05:25:10 PM

Obscure, but highly recommended to fans of Malcolm Lowry's "cult novel" Under the Volcano (or even the film adaptation). Someone's posted the recording (in segments) on Youtube.

Thanks for the discovery  :)

The narration by the named « John Carbery » is very successful... Strangely there is nothing about him on the net.

SimonNZ

Has anyone here ever been to a gig at the Village Vanguard?

That would be on my bucket list if I had a bucket list.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 11, 2021, 07:03:38 PM
Has anyone here ever been to a gig at the Village Vanguard?

That would be on my bucket list if I had a bucket list.

Yes many times at VV, Village Gate, and others. The memoir of the owner Max Gordon and that of his widow are good read.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Milt Jackson: That's the Way It Is.

Pohjolas Daughter

Disc One of Lee Morgan:  Live at the Lighthouse (see LM thread).  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Quote from: mabuse on September 16, 2021, 03:23:48 AM
I want to hear that !
https://music.youtube.com/search?q=golden+years+of+the+soviet+new+jazz

Golden Years of the Soviet New Jazz (vol. 1 to 4)
http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/labels/leo/cgy.html

Leo Records still appears to have vol. 2-4 in stock for GBP 20 per set (4 CD), which seems reasonable. Vol. 1 seems extremely difficult to find. I got vol. 2 and 4 (only) really cheaply via eBay.
The music is quite good, but the sound quality is somewhat bootleg-like (some taken from cassette tapings)...overall rather dull and distant. So far I prefer vol. 2 to 4, but don't regret getting either.

I think Volume 4 is on Youtube, piece by piece.

[Sorry I deleted the original post...it was actually a troll. Since this thread is so inactive, I posted the "weirdest" of my recent listening just for laughs. Did not expect any response, so reconsidered and chucked it.  ;)]

mabuse

Actually, I saw that all the records were scattered all over YouTube.

Playing some kind of "free jazz" in the Soviet Union at the time must have been very adventurous. It really deserves consideration !

[Thank you for your explanation ... Maybe seasoned music lovers are a little too jaded ... Or else I'm definitely too ingenuous   0:) ]

T. D.

Quote from: mabuse on September 16, 2021, 11:23:20 AM
Actually, I saw that all the records were scattered all over YouTube.

Playing some kind of "free jazz" in the Soviet Union at the time must have been very adventurous. It really deserves consideration !

[Thank you for your explanation ... Maybe seasoned music lovers are a little too jaded ... Or else I'm definitely too ingenuous   0:) ]

As soon as I found out about the "Golden Age" series, I had to investigate. I agree that "free jazz" in the USSR was adventurous (I might use stronger terms).

The only "Russian" jazz musicians I really knew of before this (apparently they emigrated long ago) are Simon Nabatov, Valery Ponomarev and Igor Butman (actually saw him live in 2003). Leo Records has many releases by Russian musicians, but I never really explored them.

mabuse

There was also apparently a rather productive "official" jazz scene ...
I had seen that the Melodiya label had reissued a few albums among the many that had been made at the time :
https://melody.su/en/catalog/jazz/?SHOWALL_1=1&SECTION_CODE=jazz
I'm not sure what to expect ... I admit I'm a little skeptical.
Struggling to decipher the Cyrillic alphabet is also a bit overwhelming  :-\

T. D.

Quote from: mabuse on September 16, 2021, 01:42:51 PM

"Caucasus" Jazz Trio
Melodiya (1966)
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_myLTgmynJ7DHSKt0kdaUer4WiTgSOx-9M&feature=share

I can't speak Russian, but as a long-time chess enthusiast am able to deal with the alphabet and guess some of the nationalities.
I could translate the title. Of the musicians, Vagif Mustafa-Zadeh is probably Azeri, Geno Nadirashvili must be Georgian, but I have no idea about Felix Shabsis.  :-\

Listened to some clips, and Mr. Mustafazade is a good pianist!
He's apparently known for "jazz mugham" incorporating features of Azeri traditional music. That wasn't obvious to me, will have to listen more.
Franghiz Ali-Zade has done similar things in the classical domain, I recall a piece with "Mugam" in the title.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ