What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Picked up the Complete In A Silent Way Sessions at the secondhand store today. I'd had a number of these boxes before but never this one, so its great to be hearing some of this for the first time and some in chronological context. Looking forward to digging into the very lengthy booklet that comes with it

modified

Wolfgang Muthspiel (2016): Rising Grace

George

Flamenco Sketches is an incredibly gorgeous daydream
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Duke Ellington: At His Very Best

There is great music and wonderful performances to be found on this album including a fine version of the "Creole Love Call" which was recorded in 1927.

André Le Nôtre

Just heard on KCSM: In Montreal, Charlie Haden and Egberto Gismonti = Stunning!!!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wayne Shorter + Milton Nascimento. Native Dancer.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

bhodges

With Jazz Fest in New Orleans postponed until April 2022, WWOZ is presenting "Jazz Festing in Place," broadcasts from past festivals. Programming continues through Sunday, with dozens of artists.

https://www.wwoz.org/

--Bruce

Artem

Good recording that works much better as background music. And I don't mean background music in a negative way. It kind of looses its flow when I concentrate on it throughout the whole cd.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

King Oliver's Jazz Band:

This album features some wonderful early recorded Jazz and it also features one Louis Armstrong on support coronet.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Artem

I'm not familiar with David Friesen, but this disk sounds like ECM jazz, but it is not on an ECM label. It has a very consistent low key groove and keeps to the same subdued mood. Almost ambient type of music.

T. D.

Quote from: Artem on October 18, 2021, 10:51:34 AM
I'm not familiar with David Friesen, but this disk sounds like ECM jazz, but it is not on an ECM label. It has a very consistent low key groove and keeps to the same subdued mood. Almost ambient type of music.

I only recently came across Friesen. I have the following recordings:

They're not bad, I've been listening to the one with Denny Zeitlin recently (they have other duo recordings). If you had to put a label on Friesen, "ECM-type" seemingly would be a pretty good one. He often plays a weird-looking bass with a small body that he may have designed himself.

Pohjolas Daughter

Been having fun listening to some jazz and old popular songs (incl. songs from what is known as the Great American Songbook):  Just heard a beautiful rendition of a song that I hadn't heard before called "How Deep is the Ocean" (by Irving Berlin).  Believe that it was a recording with Ella Fitzgerald but the DJ from Arctic Outpost Radio doesn't post what he's playing.   :(   Beautiful song, beautifully sung.  Think that it's the same recording as this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T8l--op0Eg

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Artem

I love Ike Quebec. This disk reintroduced him to the Jazz scene in the early 60s and was followed by much stronger and really stellar disks, like Bossa Nova Soul Samba, Blue & Sentimental, It Might As Well Be Spring.

T. D.

Quote from: Artem on October 23, 2021, 12:08:08 PM
I love Ike Quebec. This disk reintroduced him to the Jazz scene in the early 60s and was followed by much stronger and really stellar disks, like Bossa Nova Soul Samba, Blue & Sentimental, It Might As Well Be Spring.

[Emphasis added] +1!
I discovered IQ through his cameo (1 tune) appearance on this (Sonny Clark's best recording IMO):

The Sonny Clark session was recorded 13 days before Heavy Soul, but I don't know which was released first.
In addition to the fine recordings you mention, I like this one (CD version has extra tracks):

Artem

Hopefully, one day I'll find Easy Living and other Ike's archival releases in the used cd section of my local shops here.

aligreto

Monk: Alone in San Francisco

which is from this anthology, The Riverside Anthology:

And this is also my first listen to any Monk album.