What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: Moanin'

This is my first exposure to the music and music making of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers. I was captivated from the opening bars. The vibrancy of both the music and the music making is very infectious. This is thoroughly engrossing and captivating music and music making and I was completely engaged from beginning to end. The harmonies are particularly engaging throughout the album. All of the individual and collective performances on the album are consistently never less than excellent. I am thoroughly convinced! The production of the album is also excellent!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on November 25, 2021, 02:24:25 PM
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: Moanin'

This is my first exposure to the music and music making of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers. I was captivated from the opening bars. The vibrancy of both the music and the music making is very infectious. This is thoroughly engrossing and captivating music and music making and I was completely engaged from beginning to end. The harmonies are particularly engaging throughout the album. All of the individual and collective performances on the album are consistently never less than excellent. I am thoroughly convinced! The production of the album is also excellent!

Great record.

Brian

Agreed, a great record. I have a longtime love for the Jazz Messengers and their super-stylish arrangements and hope you enjoy finding them all. To me the golden age started with Benny Golson and continued through the heyday of Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter. Moanin', Mosaic, Roots & Herbs, the absurdly named Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!!, Like Someone in Love, Buhaina's Delight, Club St. Germain, Champs Elysees - if you love one you will love them all. The second Night in Tunisia is preferable to the first for me, too, more shamelessly virtuosic, so high energy it's almost tiring. After Golson and Morgan arrived the band became much tighter.

A little later Wayne Shorter started showing his mature harmonic adventurousness on Indestructible and Free for All; his solo on the first track of Free is an all-timer. I am not very familiar with the post 1965 band as their albums are much harder to find, but Keystone 3 is a late classic - a tribute to the golden days tunes of the Moanin' period, with a lot of that band's old repertoire, but with arrangements by two new band members - the very young Wynton and Branford Marsalis.

T. D.

Pretty much all the JM recordings are excellent. I have a preference for some of the early albums, esp. A Night at Birdland vol. 1 (vol. 2 is not as good) with Clifford Brown and At the Cafe Bohemia vol. 1 and 2 with my favorite band (Hank Mobley, Kenny Dorham, Horace Silver).

Pohjolas Daughter

I listened to "The Cooker" by Lee Morgan the other day at a friend's house:  really enjoyed it!  He had purchased it as a newly (recently) pressed LP.  It sounded great and I enjoyed the music.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I like this album- Olympia Concert- recorded around same time.
In addition to Moanin, etc., they play "Just By Myself", which is my favorite Benny Golson composition.
The album conveys the heated performance and excitement of the audience.
Lee Morgan is killing in the recording!

https://youtu.be/frH9LGP5-pU?list=OLAK5uy_mnkP2PsEKfD3BRSUk7xv2jlHtZ_bhM62M

Brian

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 26, 2021, 06:03:59 PM
"Just By Myself", which is my favorite Benny Golson composition.
This could be a whole discussion by itself! My favorite is Whisper Not.

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2021, 07:24:56 PM
This could be a whole discussion by itself! My favorite is Whisper Not.

I Remember Clifford here.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 26, 2021, 01:43:21 PM
I listened to "The Cooker" by Lee Morgan the other day at a friend's house:  really enjoyed it!  He had purchased it as a newly (recently) pressed LP.  It sounded great and I enjoyed the music.

PD

I was going to say that I gave The Cooker another listen after reading this, but then I didn't recognize that incredible version of Night In Tunisia that opens it and those great solos. So it seems I may be hearing it for the first time.

aligreto

Thank you all for your thoughts, recommendations and encouragement regarding Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 27, 2021, 03:01:57 PM
I was going to say that I gave The Cooker another listen after reading this, but then I didn't recognize that incredible version of Night In Tunisia that opens it and those great solos. So it seems I may be hearing it for the first time.
Hard to keep up with all of ones purchases, non?  ;)

Glad that you enjoyed it!  May I ask what format(s) you have it on?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2021, 10:12:24 AM
Hard to keep up with all of ones purchases, non?  ;)

Glad that you enjoyed it!  May I ask what format(s) you have it on?

PD

That time I was just getting it from Youtube. I used to have a massive collection of Blue Note etc jazz cds which I thought included that one, but they all had to be sold off some years back.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 28, 2021, 12:21:33 PM
That time I was just getting it from Youtube. I used to have a massive collection of Blue Note etc jazz cds which I thought included that one, but they all had to be sold off some years back.
Sorry to hear that; it must have been hard.  :(

In case you or anyone else here is interested, the new LP version that I heard sounded brilliant....no pops, etc., and well-recorded.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

Armand Gordon - Jazz au Vieux Colombier

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Well tonight I'm proud and Honor to say I'm listening to the great  super  intense Cecyl Taylor.: My Fsvorite album  called : The great Paris Concert and All the notes very very very good  music, you prbably know me by now I'm a man of taste, if I put something on the podium there is a raison bein it's so good yah don't know.

Mark my word greates Jazz man CeCyl Taylor and Arthur Doyle and the quiet screamer, thee best of best simply put simply said!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dexter Gordon at Village Vanguard.

aligreto

Billie Holiday: Songs for Distingué Lovers