What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

George

Quote from: aligreto on January 11, 2022, 12:38:05 AM
I trust that you enjoyed it?

I did. I was in a mellow mood, so I skipped over the faster/louder songs.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on January 11, 2022, 06:23:24 AM
I did. I was in a mellow mood, so I skipped over the faster/louder songs.

Cheating  >:D  $:)   ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Artem

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Artem on January 12, 2022, 11:45:48 AM
That's one of his best, I think.

In terms of presented compositions, solid yes. His Focus is vg as well.  In terms of performance, possibly yes. His performance in later period is strong too.

aligreto

Chris Rea: Hofner Blue Notes

I cannot say that I am familiar with the music of Chris Rea other than that now festive standard of his. However, I was given the opportunity to listen to this album with which I was very impressed. It is different, and, for those who like categorisations, a sort of cross over between jazz, blues and easy listening. I truly found it all to be really very interesting and engaging. The music making is really very good and the musicians create a wonderful atmosphere throughout the album. I do believe that this music warrants some attention, particularly in the relaxing/downtime mode. No vocals involved here.

Papy Oli

Nice one!

Blue street/five guitars from his same period is another cracking instrumental album.
Olivier

San Antone

Mats Edén | Milvus

Mats Edén drone-fiddle, violin, viola
Jonas Simonson flute, alto flute
Cikada String Quartet
Recorded September 1997 at Rainbow Studio, Oslo
Engineer: Jan Erik Kongshaug
Produced by Manfred Eicher

aligreto

Brubeck: Time Out

I have reconfirmed my belief that one needs to be either drunk or very rhythmically assured when listening to certain tracks on this album. Even when the rhythmic structure is straightforward one can sometimes doubt that it is so, which is wonderful. Everything about this album is truly great but the piano playing in particular is really terrific and a stand out presence, for me. The album contains great music and great music making. The track "Take Five" is legendary but there is a lot more here too. It is also one of those albums that seems to have a vital life of its own. Paying very close attention this time one is very impressed with the recording and mastering of this album with regard to the spatial separation of the instruments.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 16, 2022, 02:43:34 PM

Blue street/five guitars from his same period is another cracking instrumental album.

Thank you for the recommendation, Olivier.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on January 17, 2022, 01:01:45 PM

I have reconfirmed my belief that one needs to be either drunk or very rhythmically assured when listening to certain tracks on this album. Even when the rhythmic structure is straightforward one can sometimes doubt that it is so, which is wonderful. Everything about this album is truly great but the piano playing in particular is really terrific and a stand out presence, for me. The album contains great music and great music making. The track "Take Five" is legendary but there is a lot more here too. It is also one of those albums that seems to have a vital life of its own. Paying very close attention this time one is very impressed with the recording and mastering of this album with regard to the spatial separation of the instruments.

Did you happen to know that he was a student of Darius Milhaud?

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 17, 2022, 01:20:38 PM
Did you happen to know that he was a student of Darius Milhaud?

No, I did not. Thank you for that.  8)

Artem

Time Out does sound really good. It's as if the guys behind the decks put a lot of effort into it, knowing it'd be a really good one. Time Out is in that What's Going One kind of timeless league. 

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wes Montgomery: Blue N Boogie.

Brian

Quote from: aligreto on January 17, 2022, 01:01:45 PM

You must seek out the Carnegie Hall live album with faster, more confident live versions of several of these tracks.

aligreto

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2022, 01:27:03 PM
You must seek out the Carnegie Hall live album with faster, more confident live versions of several of these tracks.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Roasted Swan

I follow a "Big Bands Only" facebook group.  Someone posted an extraordinary performance of Kenny Clare and a stellar line-up of British jazzers from 1974 backing Tony Bennett.  Not the first singer you think of as an out and out jazz singer but this cooks up an absolute storm......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRuKT8UmAM

PS:  great hair and big velvet bow ties too!!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh