What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Life of a Song, Geri Allen.

aligreto

Agustí Fernández & Barry Guy: Some Other Place

There is some very interesting and exciting music on this album. Guy's bass playing is certainly unique in my limited experience. There is also some very experimental music here too. The album was a challenging listen in places.

aligreto

Ben Webster: Big Ben Time

This is my first listen to both this artist and this album.

This is more like Smokey Sax Time. Wow!
Smooth, elegant, sonorous and well rounded and recorded saxophone playing. The saxophone has minimal accompaniment but that accompaniment is still very influential in the atmosphere that is created on this album. There are many musical references to much earlier ragtime and early blues here. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. His technique is just wonderful. The rhythms are so solid and the melodies are so good. I dare you not to tap your foot to, and enjoy, this one! These are easy, swinging and extremely enjoyable sounds! This album is a terrific listen!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 02:24:53 PM
Ben Webster: Big Ben Time

This is my first listen to both this artist and this album.

This is more like Smokey Sax Time. Wow!
Smooth, elegant, sonorous and well rounded and recorded saxophone playing. The saxophone has minimal accompaniment but that accompaniment is still very influential in the atmosphere that is created on this album. There are many musical references to much earlier ragtime and early blues here. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. His technique is just wonderful. The rhythms are so solid and the melodies are so good. I dare you not to tap your foot to, and enjoy, this one! These are easy, swinging and extremely enjoyable sounds! This album is a terrific listen!

Nice!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Soul of Things, Tomasz Stańko.

Brian

Earlier today, a first ever listen to what will now be one of my favorite jazz albums ever: The Last Concert, of the Modern Jazz Quartet.

KevinP

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Ben Webster: Quiet Now (ballad compilation).

George

Analogue Productions SACD
Mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray

Superb!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Antonis Ladopolous [with Sami Amiris]: Phos

I know nothing of either of these two musicians. I had never heard of them before this CD. However, it is a most enjoyable CD from what is obviously a very good duet. This is wonderful music and music making. This combination of instruments also makes for a novel and interesting duet, for me.

aligreto

Quote from: George on February 04, 2022, 07:44:43 AM

Analogue Productions SACD
Mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray

Superb!

Nice!

Artem

KevinP

Quote from: Artem on February 04, 2022, 01:24:39 PM
That's a great boxset. Bill Dixon was an amazing musician.

He really was. I've only just discovered him (and other music from these labels) in the past year or so. I resisted the avant-garde for many years until finally getting into Sun Ra a few years back which opened a floodgate.

T. D.

Quote from: KevinP on February 04, 2022, 03:10:56 PM
He really was. I've only just discovered him (and other music from these labels) in the past year or so. I resisted the avant-garde for many years until finally getting into Sun Ra a few years back which opened a floodgate.

I've also gotten into free/avant-garde jazz only the past few years. The Black Saint / Soul Note boxes were great vehicles for exploring...

Also funny: I ignored Sun Ra seemingly forever. Figured "who are these nuts marching and dancing around in those ridiculous costumes?" But I got deeply into his music 3-4 years ago and am now a huge fan. The Ra discography is too big to think of listening to everything, though. There's been a steady flow of excellent reissues of late, and a couple are on my wish list.

Listening:

KevinP

We're on impressive similar trajectories in terms of our discoveries.  Same things happening around the same time.