What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Alternate takes belong on The Complete Recordings of... box sets. But yeah, keep them off the canonical albums. Make the CD a twofer if you need to fill up the running time.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: KevinP on March 12, 2022, 06:47:42 AM
Alternate takes belong on The Complete Recordings of... box sets. But yeah, keep them off the canonical albums. Make the CD a twofer if you need to fill up the running time.

As someone who played Jazz professionally for 20 years I am interested in hearing alternate takes since the solos are invariably different; or they should be. 

Jazz suffers the most from being recorded since choosing one performance of a song to memorialize on a recording distorts the reality.  Before and after the sessions, in all likelihood, the same band would play the same songs better than what ended up on the record.

So I enjoy the alternate takes as much and often more than the masters.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on March 12, 2022, 06:02:05 AM
From Rags to Rhythm | Marcus Roberts Trio

Not only does this recording contain some great Jazz playing and songwriting - but the sound of the record is phenomenal, especially the bass.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Nancy Wilson.

KevinP

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 17, 2022, 06:56:56 PM
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Nancy Wilson.

Now what were you saying about us having similar tastes?

She's one of my all-time favourites. Any album of hers I don't love is because I don't respond to the overall production.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: KevinP on March 18, 2022, 05:01:33 AM
Now what were you saying about us having similar tastes?

She's one of my all-time favourites. Any album of hers I don't love is because I don't respond to the overall production.

Some of her albums are straight-ahead jazz, some are pop, and many are mixture of them. I think some of her recordings are excellent. The below is my favorite. She is with Hank Jones, Jimmy Cobb and Eddie Gomez.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Time for oysters and Ale.
Bird @ Roost, with Miles and Kenny.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Geoffrey Keezer: Falling Up.

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 4

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 4:

Dakar (Baritones and French Horns – 4/20/57)
Mary's Blues (Baritones and French Horns – 4/20/57)
Route 4 (Baritones and French Horns – 4/20/57)
Velvet Scene (Baritones and French Horns – 4/20/57)
Witches' Pit (Baritones and French Horns – 4/20/57)
Cat Walk (Baritones and French Horns – 4/20/57)
Pot Pourri (Mal Waldron – Mal/2 – 4/19/57)
J.M.'s Dream Doll (Mal Waldron – Mal/2 – 4/19/57)
Don't Explain (Mal Waldron – Mal/2 – 4/19/57)
Falling In Love With Love (Mal Waldron – Mal/2 – 4/19/57)

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on March 22, 2022, 01:19:11 PM
Baritones and French Horns

Ah, that's what I know as the Dakar album. hadn't heard of the original release before.

From Wikipedia:

"Baritones and French Horns is a 16+2⁄3 rpm album released in August 1958 by Prestige Records.[1] The album is one of a series of releases attributed to the Prestige All Stars.[2] Each side of the album was a distinct date with distinct personnel. From a jazz.com review,[3] Kenny Berger wrote, "Among the many innovative technological failures of the mid- and late- 1950s, the 16-rpm phonograph record stands as the industry's answer to the Edsel. One of Prestige's contributions to this auditory dustbin was an LP on steroids titled Baritones and French Horns under the supervision of vibist, composer, arranger, A&R man Teddy Charles. The baritone side of this album was reissued twice on LP and twice more on CD under John Coltrane's name [as Dakar], though Pepper Adams was the actual leader on these sessions." The "french horns" side of the album was reissued as Prestige ST 8305, Curtis Fuller and Hampton Hawes with French Horns"

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 22, 2022, 06:24:19 PM
Ah, that's what I know as the Dakar album. hadn't heard of the original release before.

From Wikipedia:

"Baritones and French Horns is a 16+2⁄3 rpm album released in August 1958 by Prestige Records.[1] The album is one of a series of releases attributed to the Prestige All Stars.[2] Each side of the album was a distinct date with distinct personnel. From a jazz.com review,[3] Kenny Berger wrote, "Among the many innovative technological failures of the mid- and late- 1950s, the 16-rpm phonograph record stands as the industry's answer to the Edsel. One of Prestige's contributions to this auditory dustbin was an LP on steroids titled Baritones and French Horns under the supervision of vibist, composer, arranger, A&R man Teddy Charles. The baritone side of this album was reissued twice on LP and twice more on CD under John Coltrane's name [as Dakar], though Pepper Adams was the actual leader on these sessions." The "french horns" side of the album was reissued as Prestige ST 8305, Curtis Fuller and Hampton Hawes with French Horns"

Thank you for the information. I am virtually ignorant as far as Jazz is concerned only having "discovered" it later in Life.
One of the things that I like about this John Coltrane collection is the information that is supplied on the various albums on which he featured.
Some day, at some time in the future, I hope to explore at least some of them.

aligreto

Archie Shepp: True Ballads

There is some truly wonderful music making and also a wonderfully chilled atmosphere on the album.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on March 23, 2022, 02:06:16 PM
Archie Shepp: True Ballads

There is some truly wonderful music making and also a wonderfully chilled atmosphere on the album.

Sounds interesting. Will look for the recording!

aligreto

Wycliffe Gordon: The Intimate Ellington

I enjoyed this one. The Big Band sound is transposed to a Sextet, successfully, as far as I am concerned. There is a very interesting version of the Creole Love Song on the album.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Rollins Plays For Bird, Sonny Rollins.

Brian

Quote from: aligreto on March 24, 2022, 03:37:30 PM
Wycliffe Gordon: The Intimate Ellington

I enjoyed this one. The Big Band sound is transposed to a Sextet, successfully, as far as I am concerned. There is a very interesting version of the Creole Love Song on the album.
Oooh, this looks very interesting to me.

T. D.

aligreto

Quote from: Brian on March 25, 2022, 07:28:51 PM

Oooh, this looks very interesting to me.

It comes well recommended from a newbie to the genre.  :)