Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Tribute to Count Basie
Jimmy McGriff.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Terence Blanchard: Simply Stated.

KevinP

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 02, 2022, 01:35:39 PM
Terence Blanchard: Simply Stated.

I saw him a few times when he was in Art Blake's Jazz Messengers, even talked to him briefly between sets. His career trajectory since then has been pretty amazing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: KevinP on May 02, 2022, 04:05:34 PM
I saw him a few times when he was in Art Blake's Jazz Messengers, even talked to him briefly between sets. His career trajectory since then has been pretty amazing.
Nice player and excellent composer.

I have talked to him a little too. Around the year 2000, in New Orleans. Around the same time, I talked to Stanley Turrentine, and I was astonished by his sharp memory. He could recall everything he did in every years, and recollect the years, members, songs, etc. of all his albums.

SimonNZ

Also had never heard of Ken Nordine before, so this came as something od a surprise:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Charlie Rouse: When Sunny Gets Blue.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Wives and Lovers. Julie London, Nancy Wilson, and Rumer.

SimonNZ

from the wikipedia entry for the song "I'll Remember April": "It made its debut in the 1942 Abbott and Costello comedy Ride 'Em Cowboy, being sung by Dick Foran."

milk

It's a little annoying but my kids like it. I do love the songs but I prefer to hear Fred. Actually, Fred's longtime musical director, Johnny Costa, is nothing short of magnificent (improvising live on every singe show!), but even his solo album is kind of meh. These songs are great though and seem to be not very well-known. Forget the opening theme. Songs like, It's You I Like, Many Ways to Say I Love You, The Your Heart Is Full of Love, You've Got To Do It, are great compositions and show off the variegated genius of Fred Rogers. Remember folks, you you are special just for being you, people CAN like you just the way you are and there's nobody in the world like you.   

bhodges

I keep forgetting that Smalls and Mezzrow (both clubs in NYC) do livestreams almost every night. Right now, watching the Adam Birnbaum Trio featuring Al Foster and David Wong, live from the latter venue. I'm already looking forward to Tyshawn Sorey on May 24.

Livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwhWJS0uFU

Calendar:
www.smallslive.com

--Bruce

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 13, 2022, 09:29:19 PM
My fav album. I wish Conga was not in the band. I love Kenny.

Your favorite Burrell album, or your favorite album by anyone?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 13, 2022, 10:18:49 PM
Your favorite Burrell album, or your favorite album by anyone?

The latter. It's a wonderful album with the dark tone and restrained playing.

Played today inspired by your post:

T. D.

"...the best there was of all the bebop piano players" according to Miles Davis and many others.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

Joe Newman - All I Wamt To Do Is Swing (1955)

T. D.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh