What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

How could one not follow up on the conversation above on Red Garland as well as Simon NZ's original recommendation?

Red Garland Quintet: All Mornin' Long

https://www.youtube.com/v/A883c3YWoU4&t=8s

What a very fine album! It sounds so fresh and vibrant! Excellent playing from all concerned.

aligreto

Quote from: Artem on June 19, 2022, 12:25:55 PM
Listened to these over the weekend. All for the first time. I didn't finished Brubeck though. I tried it twice but it just doesn't sound right.

That Brubeck does not even look right!

bhodges

Just back from a great weekend in New Orleans for a pal's birthday, and heard some fantastic music. On Saturday at Snug Harbor (a delectable little club), Cuban conga artist Alexey Marti brought down the house with four other musicians: Herlin Riley (drums), Pat Casey (electric bass), Oscar Rossignoli (piano), and Brent Rose (saxophone and flute). All were superb, but for many, Rossignoli was the revelation. Like John Batiste, he has both jazz and classical in his fingers, and mixes the two with real fluidity. Here he is at WWOZ Piano Night, scarcely a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaL3iR6kl7A

--Bruce

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brewski on June 20, 2022, 06:48:24 AM
Just back from a great weekend in New Orleans for a pal's birthday, and heard some fantastic music. On Saturday at Snug Harbor (a delectable little club), Cuban conga artist Alexey Marti brought down the house with four other musicians: Herlin Riley (drums), Pat Casey (electric bass), Oscar Rossignoli (piano), and Brent Rose (saxophone and flute). All were superb, but for many, Rossignoli was the revelation. Like John Batiste, he has both jazz and classical in his fingers, and mixes the two with real fluidity. Here he is at WWOZ Piano Night, scarcely a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaL3iR6kl7A

--Bruce

I love Herlin Riley! When I lived in New Orleans, I went to Snug mostly every week. Glad to hear that Brent Rose is still there and doing fine.

bhodges

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 20, 2022, 01:21:54 PM
I love Herlin Riley! When I lived in New Orleans, I went to Snug mostly every week. Glad to hear that Brent Rose is still there and doing fine.

Riley was really entertaining. Used a stick on the drum rim a lot, and got a lot of smiles when tapping a vertical pipe on the wall (i.e., likely HVAC) for a tangy ping.

Going to that club every week sounds like a little bit of heaven. I've only been there maybe 3-4 times; the last was hearing Ellis Marsalis, shortly before he died.

And Rose was great! Started on saxophone, but later a flute appeared. Always in awe of people who can play multiple instruments.

--Bruce

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The New Standard, Herbie Hancock. 

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on June 23, 2022, 05:19:37 PM

SACD layer

Mastered by Kevin Gray

I hope that sounded as good as I think it should  8)

George

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet.

George

George

aligreto

Quote from: George on June 29, 2022, 08:09:07 AM

and

Very nice indeed, particularly the Ellington/Coltrane album. I would definitely like to hear that one!

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 10

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 10:

Billie's Bounce (Red Garland – Dig It! – 12/13/57)
Solitude (Red Garland – High Pressure – 12/13/57)
Two Bass Hit (Red Garland – High Pressure – 12/13/57)
Soft Winds (Red Garland – High Pressure – 12/13/57)
Lazy Mae (Red Garland – Dig It! – 12/13/57)
Under Paris Skies (Ray Draper - The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane – 12/20/57)
Two Sons (Ray Draper - The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane – 12/20/57)

What a terrific album this is in every regard. Great variety in the musical content and style with superb playing and drive from all concerned.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on June 29, 2022, 04:17:02 PM
John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 10

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 10:

Billie's Bounce (Red Garland – Dig It! – 12/13/57)
Solitude (Red Garland – High Pressure – 12/13/57)
Two Bass Hit Red Garland – High Pressure – 12/13/57)
Soft Winds (Red Garland – High Pressure – 12/13/57)
Lazy Mae (Red Garland – Dig It! – 12/13/57)
Under Paris Skies (Ray Draper - The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane – 12/20/57)
Two Sons (Ray Draper - The Ray Draper Quintet featuring John Coltrane – 12/20/57)

What a terrific album this is in every regard. Great variety in the musical content and style with superb playing and drive from all concerned.

Two Bass Hit looks interesting. When you have time you may want to compare it with the same song by Miles Davis (and by Dizzy Gillespie to a lesser extent). Imho, the Miles version is a killer.  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2022, 09:20:27 AM
Two Bass Hit looks interesting. When you have time you may want to compare it with the same song by Miles Davis (and by Dizzy Gillespie to a lesser extent). Imho, the Miles version is a killer.  ;D

Cheers and thank you for that.

George