What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Oliver Nelson's Nocturne album

Never really paid attention to the song "Azure-te" before, but just recently it seems to be everywhere I turn.

Lem Winchesters vibes always a welcome addition

San Antone

Idle Moments
Grant Green / Joe Henderson / Bobby Hutcherson / Duke Pearson / Bob Cranshaw / Al Harewood

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: San Antone on July 26, 2022, 10:33:19 AM
Idle Moments
Grant Green / Joe Henderson / Bobby Hutcherson / Duke Pearson / Bob Cranshaw / Al Harewood

Nice!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

aligreto

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on July 28, 2022, 05:08:48 AM
Binging on Ellington recently. One could do a lot worse!  8)

Yes. Revisiting some old friends. And making a few new ones - I think that was the first time I'd heard This One's For Blanton.

But right now some Eric Dolphy:

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 28, 2022, 06:46:32 PM
Yes. Revisiting some old friends. And making a few new ones - I think that was the first time I'd heard This One's For Blanton.

But right now some Eric Dolphy:

Nice!

aligreto

Jasper Somsen Group: Sardegna

I was very impressed with and really liked this album. This is a tight knit ensemble and they play very well individually and collectively. The music is vibrant in the up beat numbers and it is very chilled, relaxed and atmospheric in the slower tempo numbers. The playing is always excellent and the recording quality is top notch. The recorded sound is warm and smooth. There is an element of the avant-garde and experimentation in both sounds and rhythms on the album which I find exciting, interesting and engaging.

SimonNZ

San Antone

This is maybe my favorite recording of Porgy & Bess, including the operatic versions.

Porgy & Bess | Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

The competing recording for my favorite is the complete Bethlehem recording with narration and Jazz band orchestrations.

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 12

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 12:

Lush Life (Lush Life 1/10/58)
The Believer (The Believer 1/10/58)
Nakatini Serenade (The Believer 1/10/58)
Come Rain or Come Shine (The Last Trane – 1/10/1958)
Lover (The Last Trane – 1/10/58)
Russian Lullaby (Soultrane – 2/7/58)
Theme For Ernie (Soultrane – 2/7/58)

Forgive me, in my ignorance, if I say that I think that this sounds like a watershed in terms of Coultrane's music making. It seems to me to be generally more free, involved and richer in musical content. Coultrane also seemed to be more animated and assertive here in his deliveries of the music. Either way, this is a particularly fine CD of Jazz music from all of the various musicians, in my opinion.

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Joe Newman - Salute To Satch (1956)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

bhodges

Couldn't catch the first set, but yay, there's a second one, starting in about 10 minutes: live from Smalls in NYC, the Lew Tabackin Trio, with Lew Tabackin (tenor sax), Boris Kozlov (bass), and Jason Tiemann (drums).

It looks like the show is sold-out at the actual club, which makes this livestream all the more welcome.

https://www.smallslive.com/events/24315-lew-tabackin-trio/

--Bruce

aligreto

Benjamin Herman: Trouble [Featuring Daniel Von Piekartz]

This is a very fine, velvety smooth, laid back album. There is nothing over the top here yet everything is excellent. Stand out pointers are the smoky saxophone playing, the rhythmic bass playing and the very smooth, laid back vocals. The rest of the ensemble, drums and piano, is not half bad either, to be honest. This is a wonderfully performed and atmospheric album. It is also terrifically relaxing music. There are also a few more upbeat tracks on the album which are exciting. The piano playing shines throughout for me but particularly excels on the tracks "Curacao" and "Lilac Wine".