What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Art Blakey Quintet: A Night at Birdland, Vol. 1

On a jazz kick these last few days, after a long break from the genre.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nostrand and Fulton, Freddie Hubbard.

vers la flamme

Keith Jarrett, Paul Motian, Gary Peacock: At the Deer Head Inn

Another record store find. Sounds good, though Jarrett's moaning is a bit on the annoying side, comparatively speaking.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 04, 2022, 04:07:09 PM

Keith Jarrett, Paul Motian, Gary Peacock: At the Deer Head Inn

Another record store find. Sounds good, though Jarrett's moaning is a bit on the annoying side, comparatively speaking.

Killer album. キラー アルバム。

SimonNZ

On the radio heard Cannonball Adderley's "Sticks" from the live album Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, and will now have to find a copy of the album.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 04, 2022, 05:15:47 PMOn the radio heard Cannonball Adderley's "Sticks" from the live album Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, and will now have to find a copy of the album.

The entire disc is excellent!

SimonNZ

vers la flamme

Count Basie & His Orchestra: April in Paris

First listen, very nice. This 2CD set featuring four classic LPs was a steal for seven bucks. This is an area of jazz that I'm pretty ignorant about.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 08, 2022, 02:29:40 PM

Count Basie & His Orchestra: April in Paris

First listen, very nice. This 2CD set featuring four classic LPs was a steal for seven bucks. This is an area of jazz that I'm pretty ignorant about.

All great albums. They represent beauty of blues and African American culture.

Artem

I listened to A Love Supreme yesterday. According to many posts on Instagram it was an anniversary of its recording session. I still cannot get into that disk. Everything about it is perfectly arranged, but I just don't feel the excitement about the music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I'm not a fan of Love Supreme either.

SimonNZ

Wow. You may be the first two people I've heard say that.

The only problem I have with ALS is that Coltrane is mixed too loud in comparison to the other players and comes blaring out of the left channel. I always have to adjust the balance to the right side to compensate.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I think these are my fav trane.

vers la flamme

^I have not heard any of those, but my interest is piqued.

SimonNZ

Coltrane's Sound is a great, for sure. Especially "Equinox" and "Central Park West".

I don't think I know The Other Village Vanguard Tapes, unless I've encountered it in different packaging.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 11, 2022, 03:19:59 PMColtrane's Sound is a great, for sure. Especially "Equinox" and "Central Park West".

I don't think I know The Other Village Vanguard Tapes, unless I've encountered it in different packaging.

Equinox is based on the chord change of Dizzys Night in Tunisia. I like The night has a thousand eyes as well.

All the tracks in the Other Tape, ie green sleeves, chasin Trane alt takes, etc., are in the big box set of Village Vanguard live now.

My favorite  things in Afro Blue Impressions (1963 Stockholm) is a killer!

vers la flamme

Bill Evans Trio with Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro. Sunday at the Village Vanguard

So damn good. Such amazing bass playing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 12, 2022, 03:47:18 PMBill Evans Trio with Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro. Sunday at the Village Vanguard

So damn good. Such amazing bass playing.

LaFaro sounds great in this album.

vers la flamme

Charles Mingus: Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Excellent album.