What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

ZauberdrachenNr.7

What an interesting and strong and refreshing combo and set.  All original works by Mehldau (who's written for Renée Fleming and Anne Sofie von Otter, among others).  And hats off to the Nonesuch engineers who recorded this the way jazz trios should be recorded, warm and close but not too close. 

[asin]B0071BY1ZQ[/asin]

Henk

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 28, 2015, 04:19:03 AM
What an interesting and strong and refreshing combo and set.  All original works by Mehldau (who's written for Renée Fleming and Anne Sofie von Otter, among others).  And hats off to the Nonesuch engineers who recorded this the way jazz trios should be recorded, warm and close but not too close. 

[asin]B0071BY1ZQ[/asin]

Yes, dig it much as well.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Henk on July 28, 2015, 04:50:53 AM
Yes, dig it much as well.

Yelp! The "Days of Dilbert Delaney" is in my head.  Perhaps the only way to release myself from its intoxicating spell is to infect others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jom8WS_z1A

Henk

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on July 28, 2015, 12:23:22 PM

Wonderful stuff.

Dizzy absolutely smokes It Don't Mean A Thing (If You Ain't Got That Swing). Never heard anything like it before or since.

NikF

Gerry Mulligan Quartet: Pleyel Concerts Vol. 2

[asin]B000007WAL[/asin]

Into the early hours with this stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

bob_cart

Not sure if it counts as jazz, but there it is:
https://www.youtube.com/v/LZh4521P5Hg
if the flash thingy doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZh4521P5Hg

EDIT: Thanks sanantonio!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Pat Metheny Group, Offramp

This is a highly praised album, but it has yet to click with me. Interesting sounds and all that, but my brain hasn't managed to make sense of them. Will keep trying.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 02, 2015, 11:22:21 AM
Pat Metheny Group, Offramp

This is a highly praised album, but it has yet to click with me. Interesting sounds and all that, but my brain hasn't managed to make sense of them. Will keep trying.

Offramp is one of my favorite PMG albums. The title track is certainly 'out there' but I find it hard for anyone to not enjoy a song like James, Eighteen, or Are You Going With Me? as these seem immediately accessible. Perhaps you're still in the throes of understanding their style? Is this your only exposure to Metheny?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2015, 03:27:33 PM
Perhaps your still in the throes of understanding their style? Is this your only exposure to Metheny?

That's basically it. The only other Metheny I have is 80/81, which is quite different stylistically. As I said, I'll keep trying with Offramp.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 02, 2015, 05:48:53 PM
That's basically it. The only other Metheny I have is 80/81, which is quite different stylistically. As I said, I'll keep trying with Offramp.

I can't stand 80/81 and this is a shame because many of the songs have great potential but it's Michael Brecker's erratic playing that constantly leaves me cold and/or disengaged with the music. He's not a lyrical player or someone that I believe meshes well with Metheny. A complete misfire IMHO. You should check out Metheny's Watercolors at some point. This is pre-PMG, but there are several musical elements that point this album into the direction he would later go in with pianist/composer Lyle Mays.

[asin]B000026FDG[/asin]

Bogey

Personnel
Donald Byrd - trumpet
Charlie Rouse - tenor saxophone
Pepper Adams - baritone saxophone
Walter Davis, Jr. - piano
Sam Jones - bass
Art Taylor - drums

Recorded May of '59 at Rudy Van Gelder studios.

My main listening will be focused on Sam Jones morning. He recorded with the likes of Monk, Peterson, Adderly, and Evans and I wanted to isolate him a bit and try to hear what they appreciated about his talent.  For those that really enjoy Adderly's Somethin' Else album, Jones was the bassist on it as well.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: sanantonio on August 03, 2015, 05:20:46 AM
Sam Jones was a great bassist.  He worked often with Louis Hayes, and they were a dynamite rhythm section on plenty of Riverside recordings, Bobby Timmons, Cedar Walton and many others.  If you get the chance, check out Oscar Peterson's Blues Etude, which has Jones and Hayes on the first half - excellent.

The guy has an incredible resume for sure.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Bogey

Starting the day with THAT Mancini sound:

Some of the personnel

Pete Candoli (trumpet)
Dick Nash (trombone)
Larry Bunker (vibes)
Shelly Manne (drums)
Art Pepper (clarinet) ;)
Johnny Williams piano and harpsichord -This really gives it an "Avengers" sound at times, Karl. ;D

Mancini over the recent years has become a favorite of mine.  His casual swing and even his lounge-ish or even his easy listening are all "good stuff" in my corner.  Though my favorite works tend to come from tv or movie work he did, I am yet to spin one of his lps outside of these that I was not glad to have on my shelf.  The one above is more of a swinging sound and he covers such compositions as Moanin' and Tequila.  I believe you can find it on cd. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on August 04, 2015, 03:44:44 AM
Starting the day with THAT Mancini sound:

Some of the personnel

Pete Candoli (trumpet)
Dick Nash (trombone)
Larry Bunker (vibes)
Shelly Manne (drums)
Art Pepper (clarinet) ;)
Johnny Williams piano and harpsichord -This really gives it an "Avengers" sound at times, Karl. ;D

Mancini over the recent years has become a favorite of mine.  His casual swing and even his lounge-ish or even his easy listening are all "good stuff" in my corner.  Though my favorite works tend to come from tv or movie work he did, I am yet to spin one of his lps outside of these that I was not glad to have on my shelf.  The one above is more of a swinging sound and he covers such compositions as Moanin' and Tequila.  I believe you can find it on cd. 

Good morning, Bill!  Looks quite enticing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Did the artist himself perhaps not know his actual birthdate?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: sanantonio on August 04, 2015, 06:34:37 AM
Born today - Armstrong often stated that he was born on July 4, 1900, a date that has been noted in many biographies. Although he died in 1971, it was not until the mid-1980s that his true birth date of August 4, 1901 was discovered by researcher Tad Jones through the examination of baptismal records.

LOUIS ARMSTRONG : JAZZ PROPHET

;)

No one better!  Time for some of this to mark the date:

That is the nice thing about Pops' recordings.  You can grab anything off the shelf and it is always a treat.