What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

FYI, comparing Dizzy with Miles is beyond comprehension IMHO. It really doesn't make sense to compare apples with oranges. I like Miles much more than Dizzy and not because I think Miles was a better musician. Quite the contrary, Dizzy had much more technical chops than Miles ever did, but this, at the end of the day, doesn't really matter as I think Miles' music, especially during his bebop and foray in modal jazz was much more interesting compositionally than anything Dizzy has done. But this is a matter of personal preference and it's certainly not a contest nor is this even worth arguing over because both musicians excelled at different things.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 12, 2015, 07:43:23 AM
FYI, comparing Dizzy with Miles is beyond comprehension IMHO. It really doesn't make sense to compare apples with oranges. I like Miles much more than Dizzy and not because I think Miles was a better musician. Quite the contrary, Dizzy had much more technical chops than Miles ever did, but this, at the end of the day, doesn't really matter as I think Miles' music, especially during his bebop and foray in modal jazz was much more interesting compositionally than anything Dizzy has done. But this is a matter of personal preference and it's certainly not a contest nor is this even worth arguing over because both musicians excelled at different things.

Interesting point. But I didn't write "better" but "greater". And let's not forget that jazz is mainly about melody and improvisation. ;)

escher

Quote from: Henk on August 12, 2015, 05:49:10 AM
This is such an insult to Gillespie. Dizzy never changed his music.

I disagree with this a lot. Gillespie changed his music a lot through the years. He played bebop, he then started to play stuff influenced by cuban music, then he played third stream stuff, he played electric funk and I don't even know his discography in depth.

escher

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 12, 2015, 07:43:23 AM
FYI, comparing Dizzy with Miles is beyond comprehension IMHO. It really doesn't make sense to compare apples with oranges. I like Miles much more than Dizzy and not because I think Miles was a better musician. Quite the contrary, Dizzy had much more technical chops than Miles ever did, but this, at the end of the day, doesn't really matter as I think Miles' music, especially during his bebop and foray in modal jazz was much more interesting compositionally than anything Dizzy has done.

The difference is that Davis had a lot of composers,  arrangers and producers working for him. But Gillespie was a interesting writer. Lorraine for instance is one of my favorite tunes ever, even if is less famous than his standards.

Henk

Quote from: escher on August 12, 2015, 08:59:31 AM
I disagree with this a lot. Gillespie changed his music a lot through the years. He played bebop, he then started to play stuff influenced by cuban music, then he played third stream stuff, he played electric funk and I don't even know his discography in depth.

Gillespie added stuff to his style, not change it. Gillespie himself did also say he didn't feel the need to find out new stuff.

George

I have since found out that this is a "gray market" release, but I like the music. Transfers are a bit muffled, though.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 12, 2015, 07:35:26 AM
???

Oh boy...another translation error on your part, Henk. ;D When I say smoked, this means Dizzy absolutely ripped this piece of apart with his virtuosity. In other words, he owned this piece of music. It's a compliment, not an insult.

It was the second sentence that was confusing to me. I you had wrote it more clear, I would probably also have understood the first one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 12, 2015, 07:52:34 AM
Interesting point. But I didn't write "better" but "greater". And let's not forget that jazz is mainly about melody and improvisation. ;)

Interesting point? I've never said anything bad about Dizzy nor will I. All I said was I prefer Miles. There's plenty of melody and improvisation in Miles' music. He's one of the most lyrical trumpeters in jazz history. Anyway, there's really no use in me trying to defend what I like. I like some of Dizzy's music, but he really doesn't do much for me compositionally. Fantastic player, though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 12, 2015, 10:42:58 PM
It was the second sentence that was confusing to me. I you had wrote it more clear, I would probably also have understood the first one.

It's American slang, Henk. You're Dutch and I'm American, so there's bound to be something lost in translation. :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Fresh, well-crafted, and nuanced in a most catchy manner. It's unabashedly jazz though delicately sprinkled with "world" overtones, an obvious tool which functions as catalyst for some strikingly original writing. Whatever his secret Avital and his band make much of their talents and the final product is bristling with both sophistication and, well...fun!!

[asin]B00O4PFBEM[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ZauberdrachenNr.7

I never tire of Herbie (but admit I'm less interested in the funk stuff).

Dancing Divertimentian

Melodically strong with a sprinkling of avant-garde. Alternately soulful and headstrong. And man can that bassist play! (Drew Gress)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2015, 07:41:11 AM
It's American slang, Henk. You're Dutch and I'm American, so there's bound to be something lost in translation. :)

True.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: sanantonio on August 15, 2015, 05:24:32 PM
Drew Gress is one of the best bassists; he and Scott Colley are both really good and just about anything they are on is worthwhile.  I will look for this on Apple Music or Spotify.

I know a little about Colley but this is my first exposure to Gress. Definitely on my radar now.

Bogey

Quote from: sanantonio on August 13, 2015, 11:09:36 AM
George Shearing : born today in 1920

He made two albums with singers, this one with Peggy Lee and The Swingin's Mutual with Nancy Wilson - both excellent.

One of my favorites from Shearing that I have on the shelf is from his quintet called Latin Escapade.  One artist that appears on both this and the Peggy Lee effort above is the amazing Armando Peraza (front left).  His percussion work takes this and other Shearing efforts to a whole new level IMO.  Shearing must have appreciated his work as well as he played on over 20 of his albums.

On this link you will find a wonderful article written about Shearing and his Latin jazz that has a must read on Peraza and his work with Shearing. 

http://www.chipboaz.com/blog/2011/02/16/george-shearing-and-latin-jazz-more-than-a-footnote/

I know we are always just tossing links on to this site, but this one is a must.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Thread duty:

I heard this one described as "spooky exotica".  Cannot agree more.   If you enjoy Mancini, but do not have this one, grab it when you can.  Like the back of the lp says, " To those who long for balmy tropic breezes and gently swaying palms, this album is dedicated."
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Kenny Dorham and Jackie McLean together.

Dorham is a magic-maker. Unorthodox but never willful.

[asin]B00BGETM9Y[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 16, 2015, 08:26:06 PM
Kenny Dorham and Jackie McLean together.

Dorham is a magic-maker. Unorthodox but never willful.

[asin]B00BGETM9Y[/asin]

Never cared for Jackie McLean at all. Razor-sharp attack and grating tone. I do like Dorham a lot, though.

Brian

Anybody else have the 2003 Pacific CD release of Chet Baker & Crew? I notice a huge drop-off in sound quality between side A and side B. It's almost like it goes from stereo to mono. Is this normal? Did I somehow get a bootleg of the real CD? (I ordered through Amazon.)

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on August 20, 2015, 06:33:35 AM
Anybody else have the 2003 Pacific CD release of Chet Baker & Crew? I notice a huge drop-off in sound quality between side A and side B. It's almost like it goes from stereo to mono. Is this normal? Did I somehow get a bootleg of the real CD? (I ordered through Amazon.)

Which listing did you get?  The lead off Amazon listing is an Amazon CD-R.
[asin]B00008MLT5[/asin]
TD