What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

I am finding I like "psychedelic" Miles, and the cover art is certainly fun.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 20, 2015, 07:18:55 AM
I am finding I like "psychedelic" Miles, and the cover art is certainly fun.

Aye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

Quote from: sanantonio on August 20, 2015, 07:25:47 AM
I forget the artist's name, but Miles also used his artwork on On the Corner.  I think of this period of Miles not so much psychedelic as "radical-chic-funk".  I almost expect to see Leonard Bernstein somewhere in the background.

Corky McCoy.  He was friends enough with Miles to be a roommate for a time
Wikipedia has a sketchy article on him
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corky_McCoy

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 20, 2015, 06:43:18 AM
Which listing did you get?  The lead off Amazon listing is an Amazon CD-R.
[asin]B00008MLT5[/asin]
TD

Maybe it is a CD-R. I'll look when I get home.

Dancing Divertimentian

The Duke and Ella live on the French Riviera box. From the d'Antibes-Juan-les-Pins International Jazz Festival, 1966. Duke gets the lion's share, here, but everyone is swinging and the sound is delightfully good - Granz himself was at the recording helm.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Henk

Quote from: sanantonio on August 21, 2015, 08:36:10 AM
I like to check the ECM records website for news, hoping they will develop a streaming service.  It looks like they are developing a new website, which encourages my speculation of a streaming service.  However, I read some sad news, of the recent passing of the great Japanese pianist Masabumi Kikuchi.  He has been a regular member of Paul Motian's bands since 1997, and is a pianist well worth checking out.

Sad to hear. His latest recording is on my playlist.

It's not so easy to listen to, because he murmers a lot while playing, but it's rewarding. Extraordinary stuff, great music.

Brian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 21, 2015, 09:32:26 PM
The Duke and Ella live on the French Riviera box. From the d'Antibes-Juan-les-Pins International Jazz Festival, 1966. Duke gets the lion's share, here, but everyone is swinging and the sound is delightfully good - Granz himself was at the recording helm.

Whoa! Is this a pretty essential box? I don't have much Ella.

NikF

Sonny Clark: Cool Struttin'

[asin]B00000IL28[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Robert

Marilyn Crispell

On Tour 1992

Santuerio

Bogey

Oy, Robert!

Kind of Blue quintet prior to their landmark recording:

I believe you GOTTA LOVE Mile and the lads to grab this one as the sound is very problematic in places.  However, with the Evans, 'Trane, Adderly, Chambers, and Cobb line up, there is just not much out there. 

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Robert

Quote from: Bogey on August 22, 2015, 12:21:47 PM
Oy, Robert!

I believe you GOTTA LOVE Mile and the lads to grab this one as the sound is very problematic in places.  However, with the Evans, 'Trane, Adderly, Chambers, and Cobb line up, there is just not much out there.
Hi Bill
I have this disc.  I like this a lot.  The interaction is wonderful.  You have to remember that in the fifties there was not much live recording.  Cherish it for what it is.

Robert..

Bogey

Quote from: Robert on August 22, 2015, 01:20:23 PM
Hi Bill
I have this disc.  I like this a lot.  The interaction is wonderful.  You have to remember that in the fifties there was not much live recording.  Cherish it for what it is.

Robert..

Indeed I do.  I have some Miles on the shelf that sounds like it was recorded from a phone booth down the block from the club he was playing....and LOVE it!  However, I wanted others here to know what to expect upon a purchase.  And, always a better place here with you on board Robert.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on August 22, 2015, 07:22:41 AM
Whoa! Is this a pretty essential box? I don't have much Ella.

Essential for sure. Ella is on...so on...and the sense of occasion is palpable - from everyone!. It's a seven-CD box with a bonus eighth disc of rehearsals. And well recorded since Granz was the man at the controls. Of course it's OOP which won't help those itching to own it. 

One thing that might help somewhat is there's a two-disc set of highlights from this festival/box, though unfortunately it only skims the surface. Link below.

Below that is the Amazon link for the box with samples.

[asin]B0000047FT[/asin]

[asin]B00000AFEM[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Bogey

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 22, 2015, 06:24:58 PM
Essential for sure. Ella is on...so on...and the sense of occasion is palpable - from everyone!. It's a seven-CD box with a bonus eighth disc of rehearsals. And well recorded since Granz was the man at the controls. Of course it's OOP which won't help those itching to own it. 

One thing that might help somewhat is there's a two-disc set of highlights from this festival/box, though unfortunately it only skims the surface. Link below.

Below that is the Amazon link for the box with samples.

[asin]B0000047FT[/asin]

[asin]B00000AFEM[/asin]

Wow, would love to have the biggie here.

bhodges

Quote from: Bogey on August 22, 2015, 12:21:47 PM
Oy, Robert!

Potential caveats aside...wow, what great cover art! Never seen this before.

--Bruce

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bogey on August 22, 2015, 06:34:36 PM
Wow, would love to have the biggie here.

I got lucky and stumbled on it at a Barnes & Noble one day many years ago. Up till then I hadn't even known of its existence.

One thing that isn't visible is the innards of the box. Despite the esoteric "White Album" exterior the insides are all dolled up. The jewel cases themselves are custom done in four colors with stylish graphics etched in them.

And the booklet (book!) is all kinds of "wow". It has a very festive and lively look and layout with lots of interesting commentary and plenty of great pics. And lots of color.

All this plus great music!

Bogey

Thanks!  I may look around for it a bit.  I'm guessing a reissue is not coming soon.

Thread duty:

Another live cd of Miles that I bought due to some Bill Evans tracks (5 to be exact) with Davis:

The Evans tracks were recorded in '58 with
Davis
Coltrane
Chambers
and Philly Joe Jones

This disc moved up into a a semi-nut price, but I was wondering if these recordings have been reissued on another set.  Between  Davis and Coltrane, one could spend a pretty penny on just their live recordings.

Bogey

More wonderful art for you here, Bruce and one of my favorite cds from my jazz collection:

The songs are from a number of performances.

bhodges

Quote from: Bogey on August 23, 2015, 05:41:33 AM
More wonderful art for you here, Bruce and one of my favorite cds from my jazz collection:

The songs are from a number of performances.

Oh my goodness, yes. Believe it or not, I don't recall ever seeing this cover, either! (PS, first thing I thought of: could also be cover art for Poulenc's La voix humaine, his one-act, one-character opera about the woman who breaks up with her lover and strangles herself with the telephone cord.)

These old covers - I guess, for Verve, especially - are just great.

--Bruce

NikF

I like those covers a lot. I only have one of them -

If anyone is unaware of it, this site has some further (and great) examples of David Stone Martin's work: http://www.birkajazz.com/archive/stonemartin.htm

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".